PDA

View Full Version : Potentially stupid desperate question

BennyM
10-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm buying a used exhaust system from california and it's going to be exposed for the first time to a harsh Minnesota winter. Is there anything at all I can do to ensure that it doesn't rust out right away? Can I spray some kind of high-heat rust inhibitor on it or something? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

BennyM

Dr. evil
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
some high-heat paint should do the trick, but it will still rust from the inside out.

Chris'91'525i
10-04-2006, 10:52 PM
some high-heat paint should do the trick, but it will still rust from the inside out.

Yep, When I put the new 530i muffler in my 525i, the original muffler was completely rotted out internally. Yet it looked nearly new on the outside.
Hitting the inlet of the muffler on the concrete, piles of crumbling rusted metal pieces came pouring out.
Was a 150K Calif. muffler.

BennyM
10-07-2006, 04:53 PM
So, in conclusion, the answer is: No, there really isn't much I can do.

Thanks anyway.

Yep, When I put the new 530i muffler in my 525i, the original muffler was completely rotted out internally. Yet it looked nearly new on the outside.
Hitting the inlet of the muffler on the concrete, piles of crumbling rusted metal pieces came pouring out.
Was a 150K Calif. muffler.

Jehu
10-07-2006, 04:58 PM
on a somewhat related note if the corner of my gas tank next to the muff if showing some deep rust is there any proven fix short of replacing the tank?Like can some layer of sheet metal be welded over the rusted area?I'd guess the tank would need to come off anyway to be drained to work on it with a torch but if that would be ultimately cheaper than buying a new tank and work as well maybe the way to go.

genphreak
10-07-2006, 07:41 PM
on a somewhat related note if the corner of my gas tank next to the muff if showing some deep rust is there any proven fix short of replacing the tank?Like can some layer of sheet metal be welded over the rusted area?I'd guess the tank would need to come off anyway to be drained to work on it with a torch but if that would be ultimately cheaper than buying a new tank and work as well maybe the way to go.I read once all e34s had plastic tanks. It is hard to tell as it is covered in sealer :(

Jehu
10-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I read once all e34s had plastic tanks. It is hard to tell as it is covered in sealer :(

metal sealer? Unless my plastic is rusting in which case,do you have the number to the Guiness Book of World Records?

genphreak
10-07-2006, 07:56 PM
metal sealer? Unless my plastic is rusting in which case,do you have the number to the Guiness Book of World Records?Is it rusting from the ooutside in or the inside out? Usually the sealer cracks (from abusive driving and/or abusive roads) allows water in and then rust can occur, I expect that the tanks would be at least zinc-plated, so rust might be an indication of salt getting in there too. Best to clean all the sealer off, bring all the oxidation off the metal and recoat. Replacing petrol tanks is a job best done by others (that have already gone to hell).

Jehu
10-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I'll have to take a picture and look at it closer but it looked from what i remember to be rusting on the outside maybe from the hot muffler causing cold gasoline to create condensation on the outside of the tank, the other side is fine.It'd be nice to be able to remediate the decay before i explode taking a fast right turn.

winfred
10-07-2006, 08:03 PM
it's metal and rusts out a few different ways, e34s are one of the last metal tank bmws if not the last

I read once all e34s had plastic tanks. It is hard to tell as it is covered in sealer :(

winfred
10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
most like a exhaust leak and the acids condenced on the tank, liquid alone shouldn't attack the tank otherwise rain would kill them, as for fixing it, id guess the best route would be a rust converting paint like por-15 (http://www.rustymetalpaint.com/POR-15-FAQ.html)

I'll have to take a picture and look at it closer but it looked from what i remember to be rusting on the outside maybe from the hot muffler causing cold gasoline to create condensation on the outside of the tank, the other side is fine.It'd be nice to be able to remediate the decay before i explode taking a fast right turn.

Jehu
10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Good stuff.Have to get that asap, thanks.

genphreak
10-07-2006, 09:05 PM
it's metal and rusts out a few different ways, e34s are one of the last metal tank bmws if not the last@#$! (massive dummyspit) Mine is plastic and was one of the early e34s.

That's it.... I'm over it!! Roar!
(goes to www.realoem.com to look it up)

The following vehicles are fitted with the 80l tank:

Part 16111179436 (PLASTIC FUEL TANK);

E34: Details on E34
E34 518g TOURING, Euro
E34 518i SEDAN, Euro
E34 518i TOURING, Euro
E34 520i TOURING, Euro
E34 520i SEDAN, Euro
E34 524td SEDAN, Euro
E34 525i TOURING, Euro
E34 525i SEDAN, Euro
E34 525ix TOURING, Euro
E34 525ix SEDAN, Euro
E34 530i SEDAN, Euro
E34 530i TOURING, Euro
E34 535i SEDAN, Euro
E34 540i SEDAN, Euro
E34 540i TOURING, Euro

It appears that everything else has the 81 litre metal tank.

Apart from metal tanks being 1 litre bigger than their plastic counterparts, it doesn't look like there is much difference otherwise. I wonder which is better... I mean we all know that plastic cracks and metal rusts.

Seems that more cars had metal, plastic and metal both went to Japan, maybe only metal went to the 'Gulf version' (said nothing about the bullet-proof option though)

But what does this mean for the average e34 owner?

Jehu
10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
plastic is lighter... probably cheaper too.

winfred
10-07-2006, 09:54 PM
****ing euro cars i've never seen :D , our cars are metal

@#$! (massive dummyspit) Mine is plastic and was one of the early e34s.

That's it.... I'm over it!! Roar!
(goes to www.realoem.com to look it up)

The following vehicles are fitted with the 80l tank:

Part 16111179436 (PLASTIC FUEL TANK);

E34: Details on E34
E34 518g TOURING, Euro
E34 518i SEDAN, Euro
E34 518i TOURING, Euro
E34 520i TOURING, Euro
E34 520i SEDAN, Euro
E34 524td SEDAN, Euro
E34 525i TOURING, Euro
E34 525i SEDAN, Euro
E34 525ix TOURING, Euro
E34 525ix SEDAN, Euro
E34 530i SEDAN, Euro
E34 530i TOURING, Euro
E34 535i SEDAN, Euro
E34 540i SEDAN, Euro
E34 540i TOURING, Euro

It appears that everything else has the 81 litre metal tank.

Apart from metal tanks being 1 litre bigger than their plastic counterparts, it doesn't look like there is much difference otherwise. I wonder which is better... I mean we all know that plastic cracks and metal rusts.

Seems that more cars had metal, plastic and metal both went to Japan, maybe only metal went to the 'Gulf version' (said nothing about the bullet-proof option though)

But what does this mean for the average e34 owner?

genphreak
10-08-2006, 01:17 AM
****ing euro cars i've never seen :D , our cars are metalFace it Winfred, years of experience count for nought on the Internet these days... :D I'll take a piccy of it for you one day!

Even though it's plastic, the fuel left in the filter is still a bit brown when I replace it... I guess its mainly decaying pizza, rats, mud and rust'n'**** from the petrol station tanks...