PDA

View Full Version : Ebox anyone?

darkcide
10-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I am new to these forums but I am definitely not new to the e34. I have had SOOO many problems with my car that it is not even the same car as when I got it. Lucky me I have another problem. My car has been acting funny for a while now. I would go out to start it and it wouldn't start. I wait a few minutes and then try to start again, starts like a charm. Then I shut it off when I get to my destination and try to start it doesn't start, I have thus tried to tap on the ebox. And it starts AMAZING I thought. I replaced the main relay. BAM it starts. I get home and it doesn't start. I tap on box. Starts up. Now what really is made me angry is it has started dying when I am driving. My tach just dances and my speedometer does a little jig too. ANYONE with ideas please!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
and check out all the connections?

DME Relay?

darkcide
10-04-2006, 02:35 PM
and check out all the connections?

DME Relay?

Yes, I opened it cleaned all connections on everything, Changed DME relay TWICE. Also, just to clarify, engine is from a 91 525i automatic, so is the DME, Manual trans from a 94 325IS rest of the driveline from same car, limited slip differential, also I just replaced plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, everything. It is getting very frustrating

stu1
10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Just in addition to what Blitzkrieg bob said above the ECU (in the E-box) plugs into the loom via a huge 80-90 way connector. It's probably worth disconnecting the battery then disconnecting the big plug for the ECU, checking for any corroded contacts and then plugging it back in nice and tight.

Stu.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
start the car, and poke around and see if you can kill it by touching, Wiggling, tapping on something.

See if any grounds are rusty

gale
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Could be the DME itself. I think Bill R has posted numerous times and once recently about opening them up and re-flowing the solder on the relays on the back side of the pc board. Had that same trouble with my m20 528e. If you need another one, used DME boxes are pretty cheap on Ebay or from Vine's, etc. Just match the last 3 digits on the box.

Here's a link to Pelican Parts that discusses fixing them:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-DME-Repair/E36-DME-Repair.htm

Jon K
10-04-2006, 02:58 PM
I cant remember but is it proper to run an Automatic trans ECU on a manual motor?

gale
10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I can't be certain if it makes a difference in an m20 or m50. My m30 automatic DME runs great with the manual trans, but I already had an EAT chip in it prior to the conversion. I'm told that most aftermarket DME performance chips are universal and will work with either a manual or automatic DME.

I did buy some m30 automatic -179 DME's on Ebay to resell and tried them on my car with the manual trans to test them before reselling them. It ran ok exept for a wandering idle. Other than that, I couldn't tell the difference except for being a little sluggish compared to what I was used to with Mark's chip. The idle speed would gradually fluctuate from 850 rpm to 1100 rpm with a slow but rythmic variation but with no stumbling. Same thing with both boxes with the stock chip. As soon as put my original DME with the EAT chip back in, idle was solid again at 680 rpm.

I cannot tell any difference in the way mine runs before & after with the auto vs manual trans with the auto DME, other than the obvious improvement with a stick and lighter flywheel and not having a heavy torque converter to slug around.

I cant remember but is it proper to run an Automatic trans ECU on a manual motor?