PDA

View Full Version : I Need Serious Help

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Recently my car was lossing power and having a rough idle...

So i replaced the cat, and the fuel filter...

And Everything was fine.....

I even took a trip to San Bernardino recently for the Inland Invasion Tour

Well this morning, I tried to start the car and it died. I told myself its because its cold out.Well i tried again....died again....tried again and gave some gas. The car moved but felt like it was being chocked. It intermitedly gave power and went away...

I havint had a CEL or any othermajor issues. The car has been smoking black for a while now...figured its just cuz its 16 years old....

Yesterday though....the cars idle was slightly rougher then normal, but i thought it was because the car was cold. And the car has been idling around 1k since i readjusted the idle control switch...

Just hit the 126k mile mark....

I havint changed the oil for a while....about 10k miles.....but i put slick 50 engine protector and whatnot and that high mileage oil last time i changed it....

WHAT COULD IT BE......PLEASE TELL ME ITS SOMETHING EASY.....i have a huge evolutionary biology midterm thurday and i need a damn car.

DaveVoorhis
10-04-2006, 10:55 AM
The car has been smoking black for a while now...figured its just cuz its 16 years old....
Nope. It's running too rich.

And the car has been idling around 1k since i readjusted the idle control switch...
I assume you mean the Throttle Position Sensor. Did you adjust it properly, or just piss about with it until it idled faster?

I havint changed the oil for a while....about 10k miles.....but i put slick 50 engine protector and whatnot
Slick 50 is not a good idea. See http://skepdic.com/slick50.html I would recommend more frequent oil changes, too, but failure to do so is not likely to cause this problem unless your engine is completely worn out.

WHAT COULD IT BE......PLEASE TELL ME ITS SOMETHING EASY.....i have a huge evolutionary biology midterm thurday and i need a damn car.
Check the usual suspects: Plugs, distributor cap & rotor, spark plug leads, clogged air filter, oxygen sensor, vacuum leaks in the intake, sticky AFM, sticky ICV, failing crank position sensor, overly-rich condition has turned the cat into an obstructed cinder block, etc.

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
on the m20 the TPS is more of a switch. I adjusted it so that it clicks right when you move the throttle a little bit. Crank position sensor.....were is that located....another name for it perhaps.....i cant find it on realoem.com. Thank you very much though for your quick input

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
also...how could i check the o2 sensor.....i did just replace it recently......the cat was also replaced recently....as in......3 weeks ago

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
also how could i check the distributor cap....is there anything in particular to look for???

632 Regal
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
running rich caused the first cat to clog, still running rich clogged the new one.

Start with a complete tune up.

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
in 3 weeks?

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
is there actually a break in period or something of that sort when installing a new catalytic converter? also, if it was the cat again....would I have not noticed it a little earlier as with the last cat which lasted 16 years? symptoms such as lose of power, rough idle...but not overnight type ****...right? i dont know...im just freaking out, because i need this damn car right now, and i aint got thousand of dollars to spend on new parts. How much would a tune up cost and where woudl you suggest going? I am in Agoura Hills California. Thanks

Jon K
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
The cat should not fail like that. Be sure to read peoples responses carefully - you car is running rich/improperly which caused the first catalytic converter to fail. There is no such thing as a break in period for a catalytic converter. I would venture to say you have an AFM problem or something. If you see black smoke out of the exhaust, that is UNBURN fuel. You only see unburnt fuel if the car has too much fuel in the combustion chamber and its not all igniting. I have NO catalytic converter on my car and I never see black smoke at idle.

FIRST:

Check your spark plugs!!! really fouled/old plugs will not ignite fuel. This will cause a rough idle and unburnt fuel to exit the exhaust like you have indicated. SPARK PLUGS ARE $10 for 6! CHECK THEM FIRST!

THEN
You need to check things:
Crank position sensor
AFM
Idle Control Valve
Throttle body gap
Vacuum Leaks...

THEN

Leaking injector(s)
Fuel rail pressure
O2 reading (when you did a catalytic converter you didn't repplace the O2?)
Fuel pump

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I dont have black smoke at idle....only when i floor the car....
the spark plugs are still relatively new, about 8k miles on them

where is the crank position sensor?
how do i check it?

i DID replace the 02 sensor when i replaced the cat.

I replaced the intake manifold gasket a while ago - 5k miles ago

I adjusted the TPS or switch (whatever you wanna call it)

I cleaned the AFM a while back also when i fixed my overheating problem (about2k miles ago)

The ICV is fine, i can hear it vibrating and ive cleaned it with wd40 and the lil valve inside opens.

Thanks again

Jon K
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
On an M20 the crank position sensor is the sensor near the crank wheel. Its at the front of the engine - the crank wheel is the toothed wheel. The sensor looks like a little metal dowel pointed at and a couple mm off of the teeth on the wheel.

Check you fuel pressure and check for leaky injectors.

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 12:24 PM
fuel pressure......i need a fuel pressure valve thingy to check right? where would i plug it in?

I dont see any leak injectors....and i doubt 1 leaky or 2 leaky injectors would make the car pretty much not start. It feels like a restriction. I think it could be the fuel pressure, or a crazy vaccum leak somewhere. I AM OVERLY FRUSTATED THOUGH. HAHA I think im just overlooking something small. Im going to check the spark plugs too

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 12:32 PM
The Megasquirt post is interesting. Send me an e-mail explaining how it all works and how muchit would cost for my old m20.

stu1
10-04-2006, 12:57 PM
I don't know anything about m20's but if it was an M50 the first thing I'd do is disconnect the MAF and see if it starts.

Failing that it's back to basics of fuel, ignition and air.

Stu.

Qube
10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Three points:

I havint had a CEL or any othermajor issues. The car has been smoking black for a while now...figured its just cuz its 16 years old....

My car is 18 years old, almost 200k and doesn't smoke. Don't discount the small things. Moreover, don't dismiss your car!

I havint changed the oil for a while....about 10k miles.....but i put slick 50 engine protector and whatnot and that high mileage oil last time i changed it....

Slick 50. Forget it. High mileage oil. Forget it. Go regular to your climate and change it regularly. Unless you're running synthetic, 10k is too much.

"Damn car." Don't let it hear you say that. If you're just looking for a beater, you've picked the wrong car. If you are looking for something relatively easy to work on, then it's for you. Again, if it's just "a damn car", then a newer Corolla is probably the answer for you.

Jon K
10-04-2006, 01:36 PM
fuel pressure......i need a fuel pressure valve thingy to check right? where would i plug it in?

I dont see any leak injectors....and i doubt 1 leaky or 2 leaky injectors would make the car pretty much not start. It feels like a restriction. I think it could be the fuel pressure, or a crazy vaccum leak somewhere. I AM OVERLY FRUSTATED THOUGH. HAHA I think im just overlooking something small. Im going to check the spark plugs too

Leaky injectors dont leak fuel to the outside, they leak fuel into the motor causing a rich condition...

stu1
10-04-2006, 02:09 PM
In addition to what Jon K. said above, taking your plugs out and looking at their condition can give you fine idea of whats happening in the combustion chamber.

ber55ber55
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
should it start if I unplug the AFM?

if it does, what next?

Jon K
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
should it start if I unplug the AFM?

if it does, what next?

You don't have a AFM issue really. It's not a matter of your AFM not working... the AFM can be tuned by adjusting. It could simply be tuned too rich. It will start with or without the AFM - you're not having start up issues.