PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing an oxygen sensor.

nmwaldron
10-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi
I have my new oxygen sensor ready to go but I can't for the life of me get a good enough grip on the old one to remove it. I have a bently book but that doesnt give much info. I brought an adapter for my socket wrench from autozone but the clearance above the sensor isn't enough to fit the adapter on and remove it (this is the part on the exhaust system, not the pull-out part closer to the engine). Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be removed easily?
An update for anyone who remembers, I finally fixed the oil leak on my car...it turns out sealant was necessary on my valve cover head. :)
Thanks
Nathan

632 Regal
10-03-2006, 09:24 PM
chop the top of the old sensor, you dont need it anyways. then pop in the new unit.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-03-2006, 09:25 PM
If not you may have to un do a few hangers to lower the exhaust for more access.

Karl
10-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Ditto. On my car I have to unhook the exhaust hangars and lower the pipe to reach the O2 sensor.

nmwaldron
10-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies...how do I go about undoing the exhaust hangers?

nmwaldron
10-03-2006, 09:39 PM
If not you may have to un do a few hangers to lower the exhaust for more access.

Hi, I dont have a box wrench..just a regular ratchet wench...unless that's what a box wrench is :)

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM
this is a combo open end and box

mzarifkar
10-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I have done the procedure on my cat which is like yours, what helped me out was to remove the heatshield that is above the exhaust, protecting the driveshaft et al. It has 4 or 6 bolts that hold it up, once you remove those wiggle the shield towards the rear of the car, the added volume should help you in reaching the sensor and manouvering your tools

let me know how you fare.

nmwaldron
10-03-2006, 10:07 PM
this is a combo open end and box
Wow, that's the best looking wrench i've ever seen!!:)
I have one of those, a 1/2" that is that right size...there just isnt enough clearance to fit it

nmwaldron
10-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks much, I'll try that

HDhandyman
10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
yeah, on mine you jack the car up, loosen the heat shield, unscrew the one at the engine by hand, and cut the other side--use hands or tools as nessesary, feed the other one through, make sure the line is back in the little groove on the shield when you tighten, and badda bing!--ur done!

McWatters
10-03-2006, 10:34 PM
I had to completely remove my exhaust.. old o2 sensor was somewhat stripped and we did not have any stumpy tools in my auto class. It was an adventure i suppose.

cheers

J.McWatters

Espen
10-04-2006, 01:30 AM
I used one of theese

http://www.olemoesalg.no/Images/10_494.jpg

Anton CH.
10-04-2006, 02:11 AM
THere is a special tool for it. It has a cut out on the side and it's extra long. On mine it went at about 100k as well. If you need, I can take a pic for you. If it's stuck really well I'd simply drop the exhaust, its not hard and it makes life 100x easier. I couldn't get enough torque without doing so.
If you can't find this tool at your hardware store, I got an extra one for some uknown reason to me.

The Bigfella
10-04-2006, 06:28 AM
I did mine last week - first time I've ever done one.

Tools used - car ramps, 22mm combination spanner, 10mm open ended spanner, angle grinder.

I cut the (cheap) spanner almost in half with the angle grinder, slid under the car and - did it by feel. In hindsight, I should have cut the spanner longer on the ring end and cut a slot in the ring, but it worked anyhow.

Total job, no more than 15 minutes.

Ian

kick7ca
10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Save yourself the aggrivation and take it to a mechanic.
Some jobs are so dirty and such a pain in the ass it's worth it.
Not saying it can't be done, but what's your time worth?

nmwaldron
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM

It's not my time that's a problem...it's my wallet :)

nmwaldron
10-04-2006, 05:21 PM
THere is a special tool for it. It has a cut out on the side and it's extra long. On mine it went at about 100k as well. If you need, I can take a pic for you. If it's stuck really well I'd simply drop the exhaust, its not hard and it makes life 100x easier. I couldn't get enough torque without doing so.
If you can't find this tool at your hardware store, I got an extra one for some uknown reason to me.

I have the tool..I got it from autozone. I removed the heat cover but there still isn't enough clearance for me to get enough torque to remove the sensor. My ratchet wrench is too long. What is the process for dropping the exhaust?

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-04-2006, 05:27 PM
support the exhaust with a jack and un do the mount by the trans and un hook the rubber rings towards the back, and un bolt the mounting clamps on the muffler.

The Bigfella
10-04-2006, 06:24 PM

This is really quite a simple job - as I said, it took me 15 minutes - including cutting down a 22mm spanner (a tool cost of a couple of bucks - I used a "high quality Made in India" spanner)

dirt level? - about 2 on a 1-10 scale

The trick here is to cut down your spanner to about 6" length so that you can get it up over your exhaust without having to lower the exhaust.
I got mine in on the left hand side (drivers side if you are in the USA).

Anton CH.
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
support the exhaust with a jack and un do the mount by the trans and un hook the rubber rings towards the back, and un bolt the mounting clamps on the muffler.
Ditto, word of advice: don't put the jack right underneath the cats unless you want it to sound a bit meaner.