PDA

View Full Version : consequences of washing yer engine improperly--close call--coilpack people pls advise

ryan roopnarine
04-11-2004, 12:57 PM
well, as the advance auto had the big cans of AAP degreaser for $.62, and I purchased 4, I ill-advisedly decided to clean some of the tranny fluid out from my engine bay. i wasn't going to do the valve cover area, but i taped it off, just in case any water got in there.....long story short...fire itback up, and it sounds like a cadillac v8 with 2cyls missing. panicking about finding a mechanic open on a sunday, i decided to pull the coilpacks and make sure there was no water in there. quel suprise, all 6 of them has at least an inch of water inside, despite me spraying nowhere near the valve cover, and it being more than adaquately sealed off. take the works apart, wd 40 the boots and packs, and get all of the water out with paper towels. i'm not a particularly religious person, but i was more than pleased when it fired up just fine. the pnly problem is that there's a slight hesitation now, like when its time to changeyour spark plugs for tune up's sake. question is....do i need to change my coilpacks now, as the car was only run for about 2 miles with the water in the spark plug wells, or can i just do the boots. i'm glad that the only damage i'm going to incur for this little experience is about $12 dollars worth buying new plugs from das BMA.

632 Regal
04-11-2004, 01:00 PM
give it some time, maybe theres just a little condomsation hanging out somewhere?

Karl
04-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Give it a drive--
Get it warm enough long enough to boil all the water out of everywhere. I'm sure some water got into other connectors as well as the spark plug wells.

ryan roopnarine
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
drove it for 108 miles, everything seems to be ok now, but i'll still likely change plugs.

632 Regal
04-11-2004, 05:27 PM
:d

Tiger
04-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Air Compressor would help greatly in these situations.