PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Your Opinion and Help!

Lasharela
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi Guys
I'm new in your community and i wanna first of all thank all of you bimmer pilots, and founder and administration of this wonderful forum. I'm about to become Bimmer pilot, I used to be Mercedes guy since 17 2 years then , Eclipse and now I think I'm finaly gonna start with old but really beatiful Bimmer , which is 89 E34 BMW 525i , I've always liked bimmer and had lots of chance of owning one 95 BMW 530 was offered and almost bought few years ago, but now I think I'm gonna buy this 89 BMW 525i because I think it's good deal, not spending much just $2,000 car is absolutely great condition, just gotta change breakes. I was kinda scared to buy bimmer before , one of my friends told me it's no good in sharp turns , like 70 Degree turns it slides or something like that and also really bad handling on wet conditions, I'm not sure if it true I test drove this car i'm about to buy and it was alright in turns not too bad, well I need your most honest and helpful opinion on this car E34is something that i wanna discover and I have already plans how too make it look sexy, white corner lights, red/white tail lights , white side lights, 18" some hot rims (maybe even chrome) also wide grille and hood, side mirrors (which is my favorite) only thing is that I might not be able to achieve much perforamce wise because it's not 5 speed manual , it's automatic, so I'm all your now and Please really help me if you can, thanks in advance and here is some photos.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/31/43890/My%20Pictures/bimmer-1.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/31/43890/My%20Pictures/bimmer-2.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/31/43890/My%20Pictures/bimmer-3.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/31/43890/My%20Pictures/bimmer-5.jpg

Gayle
10-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Read about the M20 at this site before you make your decision.

http://www.bmw4life.com/e34History.htm

Karl
10-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Whoever told you the car doesn't handle corners or wet pavement has just never driven a car that really handles. First, understand it's a rear-drive car (I'm old, they were all that way when I grew up) and don't expect it to drive like a Honda. Start with good tires and shocks -- that will do you more good than anything.

632 Regal
10-03-2006, 09:32 PM
isnt it something about the narrow grill cars that dont handle? I cant remember.
Read about the M20 at this site before you make your decision.

http://www.bmw4life.com/e34History.htm

Qube
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
"car doesn't handle corners or wet pavement"

You know, rear wheel drive = big grin = big fun = e34 easy to correct

You'll figure it out in time ;)

fujioko
10-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Welcome aboard!

Alaska tag on the front and rear. Looks like a blue tag on red Bimmer truck… confused..... Zoomed in on the van and … Hmmm could be ACS.. an Alaskan internet company. I would say these pictures are from Alaska.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-03-2006, 09:39 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/

When I first bought my M20 5252i I spent hours going over all the fixes and information.

M20 is not that bad if you:

Like adjusting valves

Going a little slower

Changing timing belts before it's too late

and

I could be worse, you could be getting a 518i

HDhandyman
10-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Damn son, Alaska?....whew, that's out there, but way cool!---If it's true that Alaska is the given market place I'd say if you like the car, go for it. If you can a locate a vehicle someplace other than Alaska though, take some time and find one with a 5 speed and a bigger engine, you'll be much more happy in the long run.--535 is the goal. ---cream of the sixes!

V8s end in 0, if you're into that sort of thing--JEff, you dork!

And yes, despite what others may say, these babies are rear wheel drive, and will handle a bit shitty through wet corners----there's even a disclaimer in the manual, but you get used to it.

Happy hunting!

P.S. --that particular shade of gray is a bit rare, and can be difficult to locate. Combined with the black leather is super sexy!---just remember that while that may be what you see on the onset, there is a huge difference in the numbers and model years.....take some time to consider this one.

rob101
10-03-2006, 11:01 PM
"car doesn't handle corners or wet pavement"

You know, rear wheel drive = big grin = big fun = e34 easy to correct

You'll figure it out in time ;)
yes i have managed to avoid death despite chinese rice tyres of death on the rear of my 525i.
get an m50
muhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ha

Lasharela
10-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Welcome aboard!

Alaska tag on the front and rear. Looks like a blue tag on red Bimmer truck… confused..... Zoomed in on the van and … Hmmm could be ACS.. an Alaskan internet company. I would say these pictures are from Alaska.

you are absolutely right, I'm in anchorage alaska, winter is coming , it's gonna snow soon and I'm kinda freakin out if this bimmer gonna get me around ,i'm gonna have studded tires but, still not sure if it's gonna be good over here, snow, ice , black ice , till april , I will have to put some weight in my trunk and also studded tires , I hate it here it's like having this car park till april I can't do it, I also have 2000 Subaru Legacy GT AWD but I just broke sway bars and links , gotta fix it, also engine runs funny, my friend who is mechanic told me I need spark plug wires , but anyways nobody said anything about whether it was good deal to buy this car for $2k and few other things that would make me to buy or change my mind, well most likely gettin tis car, even though it's 89 it's still better than most american cars up to 99 plus runs great , by the way today I tested it on big corners while it was raining like crazy and it didn't slide at all, handled really good, I wish it was 5 speed manual, I wouldn't think twice, well thanks all of you for your opinions, sorry for huge articles. :)

Lasharela
10-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Damn son, Alaska?....whew, that's out there, but way cool!---If it's true that Alaska is the given market place I'd say if you like the car, go for it. If you can a locate a vehicle someplace other than Alaska though, take some time and find one with a 5 speed and a bigger engine, you'll be much more happy in the long run.--535 is the goal. ---cream of the sixes!

V8s end in 0, if you're into that sort of thing--JEff, you dork!

And yes, despite what others may say, these babies are rear wheel drive, and will handle a bit shitty through wet corners----there's even a disclaimer in the manual, but you get used to it.

Happy hunting!

P.S. --that particular shade of gray is a bit rare, and can be difficult to locate. Combined with the black leather is super sexy!---just remember that while that may be what you see on the onset, there is a huge difference in the numbers and model years.....take some time to consider this one.

Thanks, you kinda cheered me up, if i was gonna spend some more money I would ofcourse get 535i but this is anchorage ,AK you can't find this kinda cars here there is lot of cars but not Bimmer or mercedes it's really rare, if I get Mercedes E500 somewhere over here sell everything to buy it :) or BMW 850 , my friends are car dealers and they all know that i like some rare cars plus can't really afford to bring them from lower 48 , my dream is one japanese toy RX-7 but can't find it here, here I go again with huge posts :)

granit_silber
10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
ahhhh.......granit silber mettalic and narrow grills.

Have fun!

-ashley

632 Regal
10-04-2006, 08:49 AM
go for the 540, these 6 cylinder guys are just bummed they dont have one. Never adjust valves, lifetime timing chain, automatic coolant bleeding...do a search on "bleeding" youll see the V8s are superior. Check if the 540 is a Nikasil engine block or was replaced with an Alusil block. The Alusil is preferred but many of us run them with no problems. The 540 is a fast car too.

no need to add weight in the trunk as these cars are balanced at about 50/50 front/rear. All you will meed is real good snow tires...wish I could run studs, that'd be sweet!

Good luck in your descisions...

genphreak
10-04-2006, 09:24 AM
ahhhh.......granit silber mettalic and narrow grills.Have fun! -ashley Have you access to a heated garage? If you have to fix it and its Winter in Anchorage, you will have trouble with frozen hands otherwise? No matter how well a great forum like this can help, we can't get you past the problem of blue/black fingers trying to loosen all those Bastard BMW Nuts and bolts. As much as they are all good cars, a 17 year old car will experience a number of faults even if it has been well serviced. Perfect servicing/maintenance simply doesn't happen unless you find the most fastidious, pedantic owner who would know how much they have invested and would only sell to someone they know and respect- who will cherish the car in some way liek they have.

I would try to buy a later M50 525i (non-vanos for reliability or the later more powerful Vanos if you like a bit of wrenching and can check it well in the first place) or a 530 or 540 instead. These cars are amongst the very best ever to hit the road.

Am sure you're '89 M20 car is great for $2000 but I would expect to spend that again in parts within the forst 15 months, especially if you want to 'improve' things at all... make doubly sure the tranny, exhaust and suspension is good, go somewhere and drive up and down a slight hill at 50-60 mph and do a few light and hard stops going down. This will test the suspension for you.

Check idle is smooth at 700-850rpm, that she accelerates without hesitation and the gear changes are smooth. Make sure to check the wipers, blower on all speeds and the AC. Check the thermostats will heat the passenger and drivers side properly and that it cools when you turn the heating back to cold. Check brake discs for grooves (brakes are cheap tho), rust under the doors, coolant must be light blue (if not you should change it to the right kind) and make sure the tranny oil is red not brown. If brown it might be burnt- this could indicate a problem. Make sure it will engage all gears including 5th and that cruise control works. Check lights and locks too. There is a huge checklist on this forum and on www.bmwe34.net where you can get a lot of great info from one of our Great Canadian Brothers... Welcome BTW; there is nothing like a BMW :) Nick

Lasharela
10-05-2006, 04:01 AM
Have you access to a heated garage? If you have to fix it and its Winter in Anchorage, you will have trouble with frozen hands otherwise? No matter how well a great forum like this can help, we can't get you past the problem of blue/black fingers trying to loosen all those Bastard BMW Nuts and bolts. As much as they are all good cars, a 17 year old car will experience a number of faults even if it has been well serviced. Perfect servicing/maintenance simply doesn't happen unless you find the most fastidious, pedantic owner who would know how much they have invested and would only sell to someone they know and respect- who will cherish the car in some way liek they have.

I would try to buy a later M50 525i (non-vanos for reliability or the later more powerful Vanos if you like a bit of wrenching and can check it well in the first place) or a 530 or 540 instead. These cars are amongst the very best ever to hit the road.

Am sure you're '89 M20 car is great for $2000 but I would expect to spend that again in parts within the forst 15 months, especially if you want to 'improve' things at all... make doubly sure the tranny, exhaust and suspension is good, go somewhere and drive up and down a slight hill at 50-60 mph and do a few light and hard stops going down. This will test the suspension for you.

Check idle is smooth at 700-850rpm, that she accelerates without hesitation and the gear changes are smooth. Make sure to check the wipers, blower on all speeds and the AC. Check the thermostats will heat the passenger and drivers side properly and that it cools when you turn the heating back to cold. Check brake discs for grooves (brakes are cheap tho), rust under the doors, coolant must be light blue (if not you should change it to the right kind) and make sure the tranny oil is red not brown. If brown it might be burnt- this could indicate a problem. Make sure it will engage all gears including 5th and that cruise control works. Check lights and locks too. There is a huge checklist on this forum and on www.bmwe34.net where you can get a lot of great info from one of our Great Canadian Brothers... Welcome BTW; there is nothing like a BMW :) Nick

WOW, that's all i can say, you really are helpful as I see, you named all the things I was wondering about this car, I already bought it, from my friend who's leaving country for 1 year and I will have to pay him $2000 within 6 month, this is why I decide to get this car, today I changed engine oil, and tried to change trans fuild but speedy lube mechanic freaked me out, he told me my trans fluid was brown and it hasn't been changed for long time, even though car shifts all the gears perfect, some problems might occure after flushin it, and putting new fluid , he said it might get really messed up, so I don't know what to do, lost, confused , don't wanna risk, I don't wanna lose trany, which I wont afford to buy at this point, by the way it has 165k miles but car runs really good, really smooth, it so comfortable to drive around I enjoy it lot. Although I have to show brakes to my mechanic, I think I might have to change rotors , it kinda shakes when I hit the brakes, and when car slows down it makes abs sound , the same sound the appears when you brake on the wet, or ice road but car stops just fine, witout no problem just that noise and you can feel on the feet something wierd, I think it's about abs, or could be because of the rotors ( as I said it shakes little bit when I start braking) one more thing today I noticed little rust under the driver door 10 inch line of light rust ,you can really tell if you don't look closely, it's ok , I can fix that, well I'm gonna fix everything because I like this car, I just feel this car, I relax and totaly rest when I'm driving it, I haven't felt this kinda feeling in my friend 2003 BMW X5 4.6 IS that red one in the pic , he just bought it for $45,000 it's extremely fast, I raced him on eclipse GTX turbo and he just smoked me :) well, I need you guys advice on transmission problem, what should I do, should I risk and let them change fluid or maybe those guys are wrong nothing might happen, I can't wait your till your answers especialy Nick, thanks a lot, great support, hope to hear from you soon fellas.

DanDombrowski
10-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah, BMW has had trouble with those 70 degree turns for awhile. They're up to about 63 degrees since their last update. I'm hoping to be able to negotiate a 68 degree turn by this fall.