PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tranny for 535i

LAXman2205
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Ive got a 1989 535i 5spd manual, recently just started hearing a loud high pitched whine/squeak inside the car and also a sort of low pitched knocking sound on acceleration that you can hear over the radio volumed up pretty good. It's annoying for the most part. Tonight i got the word from my mechanic that a few bearings are worn out in my transmission and the repair requires some really killer tools that u can only get through BMW and no one around here has the correct tools to do the repair properly...anyone know where I can locate a replacement 5 speed transmission? is there any chance I can get it rebuilt? Know of any estimates for pricing? Thanks

632 Regal
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
search "Guibo" your trans guy is trying to scam big time!

Robin-535im
10-04-2006, 09:31 AM
A low mileage used one is probably your best bet. Pretty common to swap a 200,000+ mile one for a 50,000- mile one. Someone on the board (rigmaster, winfred, ?) may have one, or try Vines maybe.

You can get a rebuilt hotrod one from Metric Mechanic, maybe fron Jim Blanton, but those are in the 4 digits... used one might be $500?

But as Jeff said, it's worth a second opinion, as guibo and center bearing are much more common and much cheaper to fix. In fact, you'll need new guibo, center bearing and tranny mounts if you DO install a new/used tranny, so might as well try those things first and see if the cheaper parts do the trick.

HTH

- Robin