PDA

View Full Version : OT: A E30 hits a tree in high speed (pic)

Espen
10-03-2006, 08:37 AM
This happened today very close to where I live, on the same road i use to work every day. I had just passed that tree 5 minutes before it happened.

http://www.rb.no/multimedia/archive/00969/D_DE1_3sp_969108a.jpg

http://www.rb.no/multimedia/archive/00968/Ulykke_968552g.jpg

The driver, a 18 year old girl, died on the way to the hospital.

Dont know why she hit that tree, its a tiny left turn, on a hill top, I can do it in 150-160kmh with the e34.. So she must have gone really fast, or maybe she tried to avoid a animal or something..

So drive carefull folks!

Alexlind123
10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
I would have expected the tree to "cut in" to the car more than it did.

632 Regal
10-03-2006, 10:21 AM
looks like a hard hit, probably distracted by something or a cell phone...how sad

BMWDriver
10-03-2006, 10:30 AM
The road looks damp. It must've slipped at high speed. Tragic.

califblue
10-03-2006, 11:10 AM
My condolences to her family and friends:(

Jay 535i
10-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Awful, but it looks survivable. Seatbelt? Is it a convertible? Must've been a serious driver error.

We can't be sure what caused this accident, but one thing's for sure: good tires are worth every penny. I bet hers were crappy.

Macv
10-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Looks like photographer took some time and effort on the first picture. Really wanted the right angle...

I feel bad for her :(

Derek A.
10-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Tires are pointed straight - and it was a square front hit. Almost looks like she just ran straight on into tree. Sad story..

Macv
10-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Oh man, you'd hope it wasn't suicide..

632 Regal
10-03-2006, 06:48 PM
HARD hit too, even at 55. 55 to zero in what zero seconds? stopped before an airbag could even deploy. makes me sick.
Tires are pointed straight - and it was a square front hit. Almost looks like she just ran straight on into tree. Sad story..

Felixdacat
10-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Look at the top left of the car on the second pic. It looks as though the car started to fold to the pass side. I bet the tree is sitting in the pass seat. This had to been way more than a 50 to 55mph impact. If you look at the first pic, you can see she misjudged the turn. She lost it just at the crest. You can see the marks in the mud and grass where she went off the road.
Terrible thing to happen.

CharlesAFerg
10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
E39 M5 saved my life.
Driver was drunk (we didn't realize until SHE was on the road and began to speed) went around a right turn rediculously fast, 80mph, the car hugged the road SO amazingly well. Missed a van by 1.5 feet, yes the tire marks were that close. Hit the left side of the road, went through 3 small trees, just bulldozed them, then went across to the toher side, bulldozed 3 more until stopping on the third. Electrical fire, all airbags deployed.

Hurt like a mother, but ALL 4, yes FOUR people in the car survived without major injury at all. By that I mean nothing more than bruises, scrapes and some temporary hearing loss.

Anyways, my point is I will never buy a car that's not BMW or Mercedes. At least she survived for a little bit afterwards :-/ RIP. It's a shame that had to happen, regardless of what caused it.

Thayne
10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Thats nuts. :(

632 Regal
10-03-2006, 09:05 PM
the tracks are after the ems and feds were there all over the place. needpics of before, needless tho we know the outcome.
Look at the top left of the car on the second pic. It looks as though the car started to fold to the pass side. I bet the tree is sitting in the pass seat. This had to been way more than a 50 to 55mph impact. If you look at the first pic, you can see she misjudged the turn. She lost it just at the crest. You can see the marks in the mud and grass where she went off the road.
Terrible thing to happen.

mzarifkar
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
i have seen many crashes being a firefighter, and what i was looking for was signs of extrication. though the passenger door looks open(ed). notice how the drivers side door remains intact, man these old e30 hold shape.

nonetheless it is a severly tragic incident, especially at such young age :(

fkong777
10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
i have seen many crashes being a firefighter, and what i was looking for was signs of extrication. though the passenger door looks open(ed). notice how the drivers side door remains intact, man these old e30 hold shape.

nonetheless it is a severly tragic incident, especially at such young age :(

This is in Europe.. I think the passenger side for US was the driver side for that E30.. Tragic.. The Right side look pretty crunched..

horseheadnebula
10-03-2006, 10:11 PM
This is in Europe.. I think the passenger side for US was the driver side for that E30.. Tragic.. The Right side look pretty crunched..

99% of Europe, short of UK and Malta drives on the same side of the road as we do, with the steering wheel on the same side.

Since the pics are hosted on a Norweigan server, I'd say this happened somewhere in Norway.

RIP young girl :(

genphreak
10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
An e34/9 is tougher, but in a head on collision it doesn't count for much. Although stronger, the additional weight is not good when going from speed to zero in no time at all, imagine if that was the usual yoghurt carton on wheels, it'd be in pieces, they'd have spent some time collecting the poor driver.

I did a 4 hour drive thru the bush last night, terrible NSW roads, roos and dirty big trucks make it all such a risk. Being a driver you condition yourself not to think about the consequences of what might happen if your tyre blew whilst overtaking, lane misjudgements or someone pulling out on a blind bend. It is somehting we should do but don't for the sake of getting on with life. You can't be perfectly paranoid about all things.

I'd hate to hit somehting in the e34, it'd destroy another car very badly if it hit one, but a tree... don't argue with a tree. Brocky tried that and died. Terrible accidents cars+trees. People need to drive with more care, life is not the only thing one can lose in these situations... :) Nick

Evan
10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
her poor family... what a mess

Espen
10-04-2006, 01:15 AM
It happened in Norway, we drive on the right side of the road, sitting in the left side of the car, just like in US. There where a "memorial gathering" (is that the right word?) at the accident place last night, the friends and familiy had hung up pictures of her all over the tree, and lots of candles on the ground. -man this sucks.

http://www.rb.no/multimedia/archive/00969/3942381037_969657g.jpg
None of them kids used a reflex or something, i allmost run them all over when i drove pass there yesterday, dark and raining..

The police still doesnt have a clue why she didnt make the turn, someone think that she tried to avoid a animal, but there are no brake marks, that leads to a theory that she fell asleep, and somehow floored it through the turn. The speed limit is 50mph on that road, I dont think the car would have looked like that after a crash in 50mph.

Randell
10-04-2006, 04:43 AM
I'd hate to hit somehting in the e34, it'd destroy another car very badly if it hit one

i dunno man, many cars of recent years will rip an E34 to shreds... have you seen the top gear comparisons where they crash the old and new renault espace head on, or the renault espace with an landrover discovery? it's scary... without even a driver's airbag i don't really feel too safe in my E34..