PDA

View Full Version : 525ix touring front CV boot replacement

alikom
10-03-2006, 04:25 AM
Hy all !

I own a 1992 BMW 525ix touring (four wheel drive, european model, switzerland) and I need to replace front right CV boot. I got a replacement kit from BMW dealer. Now I want to do it myself. Can somebody give me advise? It would be better (if possible) with pictures. In the bentley manual I can find instructions only about rear CV boots. What kind of tools I need, how difficult it is?

Thanks in advance

yaofeng
10-03-2006, 08:05 AM
The 525ix is not sold in the US as I understand. I'll volunteer to offer some advice knowing a thing or two about front wheel drives having owned SAAB's for a long time but I may be making a complete fool of myself since they are after all different cars.

I looked at the ETK. The drive shafts does not have an explodes view. But looking at the picture the CV joint is on the wheel side and there is a drive flange where the drive shaft fitted with a tripod bearing is inserted into the flange. The CV joint and the drive flange have one rubber boot each. The rubber boot is held in place by two boot straps, one large and another small.

I am assuming you will be removing the drive shaft to do it on the bench. That's what I will do. Or you will be making an inherently messy job even messier.

There are different ways to skin a cat. I think the less messier will be to remove the tripod bearing on the front final drive side. Remove the two rubber boots by slipping them off the drive shaft thus exposing the CV joint. Then put the new rubber boot on.

To remove the tripod bearing you need to remove a snap ring at the end of the drive shaft and use a gear puller to pull the tripod bearing out.

Alternatively there is also a snap ring on the CV joint end. You can remove that to separate the shaft from the CV joint to remove the torn boot and put on the new one.

I usually do the former by pulling the tripod bearing out of the shaft.

Your mileage may vary.

alikom
10-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Indeed, the SAAB and BMW is very different. Also it is true that in the US cars like mine were not sold. I am in europe. Thanks , this week end I am gona spend some time on it and will se what will happen.

John B.
10-03-2006, 06:25 PM
This link should prove helpful. Its from the 325ix registry but I'm guessing the job is pretty much the same. http://home.earthlink.net/~wardellhix/members/cvboots/cvboots.html

ricola
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Can't help with your problem, but I would love to have an E34 IX Touring!

How much different are the touring chassis' and the standard touring chassis'? Would it be safe to assume the transfercase from the E30 325IX would work?

alikom
10-04-2006, 05:08 AM
This link should prove helpful. Its from the 325ix registry but I'm guessing the job is pretty much the same. http://home.earthlink.net/~wardellhix/members/cvboots/cvboots.html

Thanks for the link, hope it will be not too much different in my case.

alikom
10-04-2006, 05:10 AM
How much different are the touring chassis' and the standard touring chassis'? Would it be safe to assume the transfercase from the E30 325IX would work?

Sorry man, but I do not know about difference. Mine is 525iX and I do not know about 3 series even.