PDA

View Full Version : License plate bulb is out - Where do I purchase the bulb?

rufryder
10-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Newbie here...
My first car few weeks old. The dash board says, the 'check lic plate light' and indeed it's out. Where do you guys normally purchase BMW parts? Can these only be purchased through a dealership?

The bulb type is 6814 (told by AutoZone rep).

Thank you for your help.

weazman187
10-02-2006, 06:38 PM
they didnt have it at autozone?, i got mine at pepboys.

Macv
10-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Get red ones from Autolumination.com, as well as whatever other l.e.d. needs you might have.

Russell
10-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Go to the Sylvania auto bulb site. It will tell which bubs they ahve for your car. Advance Auto or Autozone should have them

Chris'91'525i
10-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Get red ones from Autolumination.com, as well as whatever other l.e.d. needs you might have.

I would think twice about putting in 'red' license plate bulbs.
Around here (Calif.) it would a guarantee of getting pulled over by a LEO and getting ticketed.

Macv
10-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Yes, always consider where you live. But I live in Indiana (almost no car laws) and have them for my licenseplate, trunk, and domelights. For as little as I'll use my car at night, the red makes it fun when I do.

steve0suprem0
10-03-2006, 01:06 PM
shoulda had it at autozone. pretty standard bulb. i got 'em there...

anyway, good luck on this one. if it doesn't work, check the driver side trunk support arm and when you find and solder the broken wires, check your fuses. caused me quite a headache, relieved with the help of this forum (thanks, bimmer.info).

attack eagle
10-03-2006, 02:53 PM
ONe ofthe autozones did not have it, and the other did here locally.
Also pepboys seems ot have a better assortment of bulbs than autozone does.

Are you sure it is the bulb and not a wiring problem?

Spasso
10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
For REAL auto parts and hard to find items I have good luck at NAPA. They have tracked down some really weird stuff for me. Not always the cheapest but there is a reason for that, usually better quality.

rufryder
10-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Update:
I was able to find them at PepBoys.....Autozone tells me that it's a "dealer's item." Anyhow, now the next question........how do I open the little plate under the light? License plate has two bulbs (left & right). The one on the right is out, and there's a plate with a hole. I tried to put a screw driver in the hold and the side of the plate, and tried to yank it open, however no luck. I did not use force, afraid that I might break it.

Any idea how to pop it up and put the bulb in?
Thanks. My first car, few weeks old and my first project. :)

Qube
10-03-2006, 06:01 PM
You'll see a spring clip holding it in. Just push to one side and pull. For the right bulbs: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

Granted, thanks for filling out your profile... not sure if same on an e39.

shogun
10-04-2006, 06:35 AM
You need an owners manual. Do a search and you will find it,