PDA

View Full Version : BWM 530i 1994 Valve Cover Gasket-Driver Side

Green Bimmer
10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Hello Joe Here in Orlando
BMW 530i 1994 168,000

I am having a hard time replacing my valve cover gasket on the driver side. It's appears that there is not enough room to put the cover back into place. (DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE WIRE HARNEST?). Also I noticed the gasket falls out of the groves. Have anyone had this problem before? Or can someone help me to put this cover back together.

infinity5
10-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Hello Joe Here in Orlando
BMW 530i 1994 168,000

I am having a hard time replacing my valve cover gasket on the driver side. It's appears that there is not enough room to put the cover back into place. (DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE WIRE HARNEST?). Also I noticed the gasket falls out of the groves. Have anyone had this problem before? Or can someone help me to put this cover back together.

use a small ammount of gasket tack stuff to hold it in place.

You can loosen and move around that wiring box above the valve cover, that gives you lots of room. But i think its still possible to change the cover without moving it. Try crazy angles. I remember it being a very tight squeeze and there was lots of scraping of the valve cover on the studs.

Green Bimmer
10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
If I remove the Wiring Harness will there be any adjustments I have to make when replacing the wiring harness?

use a small ammount of gasket tack stuff to hold it in place.

You can loosen and move around that wiring box above the valve cover, that gives you lots of room. But i think its still possible to change the cover without moving it. Try crazy angles. I remember it being a very tight squeeze and there was lots of scraping of the valve cover on the studs.

bbig119
10-02-2006, 01:38 PM
This seemingly simple job took me the better part of the day between removal and installation. You just have to be patient, and take a break when it gets frustrating. I eventually got them back in but not for any particular reason. This job would still take me a very long time if/when I do it again.

I pretty much gave up trying to get the cover on with the gasket seated, it kept falling off(especially in the back near the firewall where there is large semi-circular gasket piece). I laid the gasket in place on the engine side, and then focused on getting the cover back in place positioned over the studs. Once I had that, I had enough play to get the gasket seated and then the cover didn't take much work to set in place on the engine. As a test, I put the gasket sealant on one cover and none on the other. So far no leaking from either side.

Also be careful when tightening the cover back up. I can't remember if there is a specific order or not, but definitely do it slowly in increments for each one-- and don't over torque them.

Green Bimmer
10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all your help. I kept moving the cover in different positions. None of that worked. Finally I push the cover down with force and pull the distributor up out of the way and the cover went into place with little or no problems. I did put some gasket seal on the cover in some places to keep the gasket from coming off. Thanks again for all of your help.