PDA

View Full Version : Power windows problem

jolllibean
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi all,

I recently acquired an m20 and am trying to troubleshoot the problems myself. I would really appreciate some help on a strange issue I have with the passenger windows. Basically, when winding up the passenger side power window, I need to press on the power window switch several times before the window will wind up completely. The reason for this is that after I press the button for about 1 -2 seconds, the window stalls. So I release the button and press again, and the window moves up a bit more and stalls again. This process repeats a few times before the window goes up all the way. Is this an electrical problem, or is the motor screwed? Thanks in advance!:)

Scott C
10-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I recently acquired an m20 and am trying to troubleshoot the problems myself. I would really appreciate some help on a strange issue I have with the passenger windows. Basically, when winding up the passenger side power window, I need to press on the power window switch several times before the window will wind up completely. The reason for this is that after I press the button for about 1 -2 seconds, the window stalls. So I release the button and press again, and the window moves up a bit more and stalls again. This process repeats a few times before the window goes up all the way. Is this an electrical problem, or is the motor screwed? Thanks in advance!:)

It could be the switch OR the motor/gearbox.... My driver window failed the same way, would only go so far then get stuck (was missing teeth) and then would move on. But if the switch is intermittant, it can cause similar symptom. I would still bet on motor - others will correct me....

Scott

colo525i
10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Try and listen while you are pressing the switch to see if you can hear the motor running or trying to turn. You could check the switch with a multimeter, make sure that there is a good connection. If the connection is constant when the switch is pressed, you'll need a new motor. Get the bentley manual if you don't already have one, it made getting the door panel off extremely easy when i had to fix squeaky window sliders.