PDA

View Full Version : This is a cry for help- RIMS

ThoreauHD
10-01-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't know if I should talk about this, because most folks here ain't gonna relate.

http://www.bleacheatingfreaks.com/files/News.9.30.6/dumbass.wmv

I'm just going to go through a stream of consciousness here. Apologies for the babble

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/trainspottingup.gif.

Can I ask you guys something? How can you tell that this or that rim is the right one for the E34 by looking at it? Whatever it is that you have with taste or preference in rims, I'm missing. I mean I know they're there, but if they weren't, I wouldn't notice. I don't care either way. It's just part of the whole understated classic theme to me.

The reason why I'm concerned is that I keep hearing about how great something is and I don't get it. It's like a blind person trying to watch tv. Funny for a bit, but kinda frustrating for the rest of their life. I have taste in the classic sense. I'm not clueless in that respect... i do know what will and what won't last.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/bimmer2.jpg

An anecdote- I showed my car to a 12 year old kid, who's my coworkers son, and he said the rims are ugly. Just point blank, and so I asked him what rims look nice? He couldn't really tell me(he is 12).. He just said "you know.. shiny ones". He grimmaced at the wheels like he was looking at this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/bimmer3.jpg

They are the basketweave OE rims. The car is spotless and waxed and no dirt on the rims, but he still thought they were ugly. So maybe it's a generational thing. Like when I was a kid I watched speed racer and the three stooges and the younger folks watched the power rangers and the powder puff girls(I dunno what's on these days). I get the feeling that this may be what it is- but I'm not sure. Then again.. probably not.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/bimmer1.jpg

Maybe it's the hardware. Maybe it's a gene I wasn't dealt. I could just be oblivious to the world, but I know the E34 later years are probably the finest car I've ever seen. Not too much and not too little. So I have a bit of taste in there somewhere.

How do you know that this rim or that is cool or neat without seeing the whole car with it? I know maserati rims and chevy rims probably won't look right on a classic bimmer. I don't know what it is.. maybe I don't wanna turn it into a 2007 electric razor jap-wannabe suppository, so I don't get excited about throwing stars or whatnot type rims. That's part of it perhaps. OK, So there's that.

Alrighty, in short, how do you know this or that rim won't turn your classic bimmer into ghetto ricer car? And is it just me?

Macv
10-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Who cares what others think. Only the ricers...

Classic basketweaves are just that... classic. Only the true bimmer love can enjoy.

I have Rondell 58's on mine. I think they add some class to it.

Jehu
10-01-2006, 09:38 PM
so which rims do you have then? oh sorry ... i have most of a bottle of Mirassou Cabernet 2003 in me... party on... the kid is a retawd.

SnakeyesTx
10-01-2006, 09:38 PM
I'd have those M3 wheels in a heartbeat if I could confirm they'd fit. That inset for the mounting flange looks like it'll give the offset we need. (Note : even if I had to have all 4 wheels be like the back ones for width and offset, that'd be ok!)

On a side note... I have the OE basketweaves as well. I'm almost 28, so I don't have that new generation fling for bling ( I like chrome finished wheels, but this new trend in these junky looking wheels you see lately pretty much ruined a resepectable set in chrome nowadays ).

The thing about the basketweaves are, sure, they're designed by BBS. But they were used in just about every car in the 90's. Lincoln towncars had them, Mazda's had them as an aftermarket dealer option. It has a classic look, but it was really REALLY played out and doesn't have that aesthetic appeal that some of the newer factory bimmer wheels do. My neighbor has a E39 540i with the 16" (maybe 17") basket-weave looking two piece wheels. MUCH better looking, but very similar overall design.

ThoreauHD
10-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I noticed that most of the newer bmw's have shiny chrome rims. I met a guy last week that had them refinished to a powder because he said it was too cheap looking OE from the dealer. It was a new 3 series model. He was very happy with the outcome. I thought they fit the car well. I didn't see the rims before they were finished/sanded.

And I'm not saying anything about the kid. It didn't hurt my feelings. It just hammered home what I've been reading and seeing elsewhere.

He was honest, and I appreciate that. But when it comes to rims, I'm thinking function before form perhaps. Sort of like- Hey, there's less rubber on the tire if the wheels to big. My ass will hurt. That pothole will drop my exhaust into the pavement. I spent all this money so I can't drive up an inclined driveway. That's bad.

And the asthetic part of it for me is- does it match the style of the car. Or does it stick out like a sore thumb. I guess it's just taste in the end.

So I appreciate the other point of view, because it's more prevalent it seems in other car models. And most people want wagon wheels that have a very high shine and very little rubber. I'm trying to figure out why this is exactly. I guess it's just preference and I'm going to have to get used to not getting it.

swenpro
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/bimmer2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/bimmer3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/bimmer1.jpg

What IS the story behind these abominable pictures?!?! My eyes are burning.........

Jehu
10-01-2006, 10:30 PM
'twas beauty killed the beast....

HDhandyman
10-01-2006, 10:40 PM
My taste in what is "good looking wheels" changes all the time. I'm still an O.G. running O.E. "bottlecaps". When I first got the car, and got hooked on the forum, I thought they were the ugliest fukin wheels in the world, "why BMW, why?". But, as time passed, my taste has changed over and over again. Sometimes I think polished, other times powdered, other times I want something really classic like a porsche, sometimes I want Schnitzers IIs (unafordably unjustifiable) in a sixteen so that they'll look like an old S.S. wheel, blah blah blah blah blah. I remeber the first time I saw some Alpinas like Nuclear Fusion I thought, "god, those are ugly".

Then, something changed. I wore myself out on wanting my car to be something that it isn't. I had the car detailed for the first time and I thought "gee, that looks really nice". And why shouldn't I have thought that? I thought my car looked great untill I became a member of this forum; where everbody knows your name!, list after list of mods, clear corners this, and M pars that. ------This place will brain wash you into thinking that your car doesn't measure up.

Long story short, I love my bottlecaps. I understand now that BMW really knew what they were doing when they put this car together. Sure, I've done a few things to the car, but I realize now I don't need my car to look ten years younger because it will always be a BMW........and BMW has nothing to do with looks, mods, clear corners, wheels, turbo, polish, etc. It's about the fact that it was pimp when it came off the shelf, and if you take good care of it, it's still pretty pimp today!

Alexlind123
10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
http://servo.postverket.us/alex/wheel.JPG

I dont think they look bad...

swenpro
10-01-2006, 11:54 PM
http://servo.postverket.us/alex/wheel.JPG

I dont think they look bad...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/swenpro/Originalhoneycombrim.jpg

No, THIS is what looks bad :P These old-grandma-looking honeycomb rims graduated to winter wheels for me

SnakeyesTx
10-01-2006, 11:58 PM
RAWR! :(

I have 3 of Alex's wheels and one of yours because the PO got the wrong one when he mangled the original 4th. Strange enough, it doesn't look out of place since he put the basketweave centercap back on. I didn't notice it was different until the morning after I brought the car home.

Yiorgos
10-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Basketweaves don't look that bad -- well mine do, coz they've got a bit of kerb rash on one and the fronts are black with brake dust.

Are those "honeycomb" rims TRX? They look like **** to me.

I'm still in love with t-stars, and when I get my hands on a set I shall explode with glee :D

Spasso
10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
What IS the story behind these abominable pictures?!?! My eyes are burning.........
My guess is , "A woman scorned" and all her nude video escapades put all over Youtube with her name and address included.

The Salmon colored paint is a dead give away.

THAT I think would be a reasonable guess.

gmannino
10-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I've seen these pictures before....case of the ex-girlfriend. too bad.

Spasso
10-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Alrighty, in short, how do you know this or that rim won't turn your classic bimmer into ghetto ricer car? And is it just me?

No it's just not you. Everyone has a certain taste, just not very good sometimes.

One example is a guy that listens to Britney Spears all day. He likes music but is clueless in the taste department.

Ask yourself a couple questions,
What is this car about?
What is it's heritage?
What is the message and styling this car is SUPPOSED to be projecting?
What is the message and styling YOU are trying to project (NOT THAT IT MATTERS IN THE REAL SCHEME OF THINGS)

Rims from a '64 Chevy low rider won't cut it.
22" spiked spinners from an Escalade won't either.
Dualies from a Dodge are out. So are steer horns on the hood, (whether you live in Texas or not)
Neon lights are out and so are FART CANS. Thats for guttless cars (most) that can do no more than simply make noise and glitter.

The look should complement the car and it's styling. Dingle balls in the windows of a Bimmer DON"T work!.

Personally, applying ANYTHING to a BMW that hints of Rice is an insult to the marque. In the old days most German engineers would contend, if it doesn't have a function in the operation of the vehicle and performance it shouldn't be on the car. NO FRIGGING CUP HOLDERS for one thing

My buddy has a black Testarossa with chrome HRE's on it and they look great with all that black but would look like crap on a red car, why? No contrast, just glitter. For a red TR grey wheels (stock) would be better IN MY EYES. There are those that disagree and run glitter pimp wheels on their Ferraris. They are the ones with the money but then money has never been a substitute for good taste.

Are ya pimpin' or racing? Black spokes with polished rims for that "Boy Racer" look?

WOULD I PUT "THROWING STARS" ON A 645? Hell NO!!

Who are you?
The answer to that will give you the answer to which wheels you should buy.

One thought is to consider a rim that is more modern in look while still retaining a similarity to the originals.

I hope this helps.

Sorry for the rant, bored on a Sunday night.

Spasso
10-02-2006, 01:25 AM
So what did I think of the wheels on the car with the special paint job?

They looked like thin sticks in a radial pattern that did nothing to compliment the shape of the car. Not especially good looking in light of some of the other great styles that have been produced.

Reminds me of wagon wheels in an old John Wayne movie. How cool is that?

Paul in NZ
10-02-2006, 04:32 AM
trx wheels look just like basketweaves...

fkong777
10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
almost seems like most German manufacturer have there specialized tuner that produce wheels and it sets the tone of the car. I try to stay true to the origin of the car..

Tuners Examples
Porsche - Ruf, TechART
BMW - ACS, RD, MK, Harmann, Alpina, Dinan, etc
MB - AMG, Carlsson, Barbus, Rennspeed, Lorinser.

I usually try to stay true to the cars origin. My pass & present cars and the wheels I've used :
FC RX7 > SSR & OZ
Lexus > Axis wheels
Porsche > BBS
MB > AMG & Lorinser
BMW > ACS & MK
NSX > Volk Racing.
GMC Safari > Boyds Billet..

Now running Boyds or Centerlines on a Mercedes or BMW is just weird to me.

Spasso
10-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I've done it!
Boyd series 01 on a '72 Datsun 240Z. The horror!!

Evan
10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
it's a matter of taste, location, and driving habits...

city potholes? smaller wheel and plenty of rubber

silky smooth roads? get a bigger wheel and go low profile

does your butt hurt and you want to spend $2K on a plasma tv? stock!