PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an MGB?

ScottyWM
10-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Glutton for punishment that I am, I "inherited" a '78 MGB from my brother-in-law. It's in good running shape, extremely little rust, new paint, rebuilt engine... He's had it 20 years and bought it from the original owner, so I know the history of it. It's a very fun little car! As if I needed another car to keep up with. It's kind of amazing, there's a lot of original stuff still working well on it, like the radiator (my 525 is on it's 3rd).

Anyone know of a good forum like this for MG's? Online parts for them? (Moss Motors looks good.)

mzarifkar
10-01-2006, 09:10 PM
pictures please!! If you happend to reside in Colorado i could link you to a mechanic who knows his MGB's

winfred
10-01-2006, 09:35 PM
vickie brit has some good stuff too (http://www.victoriabritish.com/)

Robin-535im
10-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Glutton for punishment that I am, I "inherited" a '78 MGB from my brother-in-law. It's in good running shape, extremely little rust, new paint, rebuilt engine... He's had it 20 years and bought it from the original owner, so I know the history of it. It's a very fun little car! As if I needed another car to keep up with. It's kind of amazing, there's a lot of original stuff still working well on it, like the radiator (my 525 is on it's 3rd).

Anyone know of a good forum like this for MG's? Online parts for them? (Moss Motors looks good.)
I worked in a shop restoring them in high school / college. Fun cars. I had a 66 MGB in high school... underpowered but sounded soooo cool when you fired it up. 4 cyl w/ dual SU's... had to tune them every other day or so it seemed like. Very charming.

I found an MG forum once a while back so i know there's one out there, dunno the URL. Good luck and have fun!!

fin
10-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Congrats!

Two suggestions - electronic ignition module in the distributor and read up on SU carbs. SU's are about the simplest way of putting gas into an engine. A small hose to the ear and the other end in the venturi is the easist way to balance the butterflies.

You may be tempted to switch to a Weber setup, but putting that money into the SU's may produce better results.

I have two MGA's and am going to try putting a Bosch CIS system from a VW Fox on one to see if I can do it. CIS is plain bulletproof when correctly installed.......

Drive the snot out of it, don't let it sit still for a moment.

Cheers,

Fin

ScottyWM
10-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Thought you'd found a website with a naked english girl (Vicki Britt) bent over an MG ...

Still a good site though

E34-520iSE
10-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I saw an MGB stuck on the hard shoulder of the M6 yesterday morning (in England). It probably overheated - they can't be that good then. Even it's wheels looked wonky!

Cheers,

Shaun

attack eagle
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I had both a 73 and a 74 MGB.

IF yours still has the wonky single carb and exhaust smog setup of the rubber bumpered cars the best thing you can do is try and find a nice set of HIF4s from a 73-74 MGB and normal exhaust. they both work better (thermostatic seats), and are easier to tune and stay in tune better than the earlier or later carbs. Also upgrade the piping.

The 3/4 race cam works well, but you need to run double valve springs with it. I think they are supplied. moves your powerband to 3k+ with very littel otrque below that so be warned. I also switched to an earlier smog free head as they are stronger without the egr holes in them.
Also the pertronix ignition module with a STOCK (not hotter) coil should be considered mandatory.

Also the LE front spoiler really does help out significantly at higher speeds.

I wish I still had mine around, loads of fun. Lowered it with blocks and springs, and had loads of fun on twisties. Stick with stock rims if you lower it though.
The latermodels REALLY need lowering... mine was about 1.5" below chrome bumper specs, which is about 2.5" lower than yours.

Moss Motors is great, as is victoria british.

only thing that sucks on MGBs (no it isn't lucas electrics) is the fact that you have to pull the engine to change the clutch.

Going to a weber downdraft will gain you fuel mileage at the expense of power.

Finally, order the catalogs, the exploded parts diagrams are very helpful. I think there is a haynes manual as well.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/mg/t1.html

RichO
10-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I had a 75 "anniversary edition" with the God-awful rubber US spec bumpers.

But that was back in the pre 'net days- so no good recommendations on websites.

Sounds like you have a good one.

sorry this post isn't really useful (except to get my post count up above 20 in 4 years :D )

John B.
10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
This forum looks like it might be helpful. http://www.mgexperience.net/

ScottyWM
10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys. That forum does look pretty good, the others I've seen are not very active. I've got the manuals on order plus a few cosmetic type parts. It does still have the "wonky" single carb - in fact it is dire need of proper adjustment right now. It was sold with AC and had all the emissions crap on it. That has all been properly removed by an MG aficionado.

Man - it is fun as hell to drive! Parked it at work today between an '05 350Z ragtop and an '06 mustang ragtop... guess what everyone wanted to take a ride in! (No, not the Z).

Try to have pictures soon...

fujioko
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Say “MG” out loud… notice how you end up with a smile on your face… hmmm.

Anyway the MG fall in the category of LBC (little British car). You’ll be seeing that abbreviation a lot.

I have always kept one or another LBC in my garage since I was 18. Currently I have a Triumph Spitfire.. Its from the same basic family as the MG. (Leyland group)

You’ll have a great time with the little B and my only advice is keep her in the garage… these cars will rust away if kept outside.

Oh yeah… always carry a cell phone, credit card and a small list of towing companies. Enjoy!