PDA

View Full Version : Replace driver's side power window motor

AZ91525ia
10-01-2006, 01:10 AM
My driver's side window stays up, refuses to come down. When pushing the switch button at either up or down direction I can hear just one click sound on the power window motor, but the windown does not move at all.

I already removed the door panel and carefully checked the regulator and motor. I think the motor is the culprit since it does not crank. I am going to replace it as soon as possible. I searched and read old threads about replacing the motor. Also, looked at the Bentlry. All said that, first I have to drill out rivets to remove the regulator, then unbolt the window motor from the regulator. Well, I am kind of sacry to drill holes on my car. Is this the no way out?

Since the window is staying up now, will the windown drop down immediately as I remove the regulator? How to prevent any accidents?

Thanks,
Jerry
-

jnmip
10-07-2006, 07:16 AM
My driver's side window stays up, refuses to come down. When pushing the switch button at either up or down direction I can hear just one click sound on the power window motor, but the windown does not move at all.

I already removed the door panel and carefully checked the regulator and motor. I think the motor is the culprit since it does not crank. I am going to replace it as soon as possible. I searched and read old threads about replacing the motor. Also, looked at the Bentlry. All said that, first I have to drill out rivets to remove the regulator, then unbolt the window motor from the regulator. Well, I am kind of sacry to drill holes on my car. Is this the no way out?

Since the window is staying up now, will the windown drop down immediately as I remove the regulator? How to prevent any accidents?

Thanks,
Jerry
-

No response huh? Did you replace the motor? I'm assuming by the looks of it I will have to prop my glass up when I remove the regulator. How did it go for you?

Scott C
10-07-2006, 07:45 AM
No response huh? Did you replace the motor? I'm assuming by the looks of it I will have to prop my glass up when I remove the regulator. How did it go for you?

I used duct tape to hold the window up in the channels.... No problem as there was a lot friction as well.

Scott

Scott C
10-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Thanks,
Jerry
-

Drilling them out is not as bad as you think (did it 2 weeks ago), just a frustrating thing to have to do. Make sure you get the old metal out (it will fall inside the door and rust).
What you will have to watch are the angles if you also change the regulator. I had to do some creative bending as a I put a new regulator in that was not exactly the same as the old one.

Scott

jnmip
10-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Drilling them out is not as bad as you think (did it 2 weeks ago), just a frustrating thing to have to do. Make sure you get the old metal out (it will fall inside the door and rust).
What you will have to watch are the angles if you also change the regulator. I had to do some creative bending as a I put a new regulator in that was not exactly the same as the old one.

Scott

Thanks Scott

AZ91525ia
10-08-2006, 01:52 AM
It took me 3 hours to drill 5 rivets out. I never drilled any thing on cars before, so I did it slowly and carefully. Also, I had to recharge the battery during the work. If you can, lift your window up so that you won't accidently scratch the widow when the drill goes through the rivet.

Once the 5 rivets were removed, there was still one bolt holding the regulator. At the moment, use one hand to hold the window and another to remove the bolt. I was surprised that the window is not heavy at all. You can then easily slide the regulator out.

To sepatate the motor from the regulator, you need to remove 3 screws (T20 Torx). To access one screw, the regulator must be at the down position. Because my motor didn't work, I ended up opening the black gear box to take out all the parts. No fun at all.

Installation seemed ok. As Bentley described, I used 6mmx1.0 bolts to hold the regulator. However, I broke a plastic piece of the new motor when adjusting the window. Although the window works fine now, I am not sure if it will cause any side effect. The white plastic piece on the new motor has a hole and looks like a vent for the motor. Does any one know what it is for?

Thanks,
Jerry
-