PDA

View Full Version : More time fixing than driving

Kobe Diesel
09-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Im preparing for a major tune-up. Since I dont have a complete history of what has been done to the car, ie head gasket, timing belt, water pump, etc.
I noticed there was a strange noise coming from the front of the engine. I was thinking fan clutch and/or water pump. I looked closer and can see the timing belt, and it had some excessive play in it. Pressed on the belt and it has too much slop, then again I dont know how much tension it's supposed to have, but what ever it is, I dont like what I see.

Other findings include:
-The intake manifold is disgusting - coated on the inside with gook and grease
-Throttle body and cable seem to have a lot of play and doesn't respond well when bipping the pedal
-Removed valve cover and found the cam and rocker area to be surprisingly clean, no sludge or accumulations. So Im thinking there was some recent head work. The intake valves look very clean, almost shiny. Have not seen the exhaust valves yet.
-Part of the dist rotor was broken and the contact points on the cap are worn
- Spark plugs (champion) looked ok, nothing horrifying - Thankfully!

Here's what's going in:
19# injectors
M30 AFM
new spk. plugs, wires, cap and rotor
EAT chip

Researching into electric fan and ditching the fan/clutch setup.

I have not done a compression test - I should have before starting any of this work.

Im thinking of changing the camshaft to a 272 - but I need encouraging.
As I dig further, keep finding deficiencies. More fixing than driving ! Last odometer reading 187,200 miles.

If anyone has any input/advice, a trick to share, or know of something that is easily overlooded, let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA