PDA

View Full Version : Finally passed emission. Here is my bag of tricks.

M-what
09-30-2006, 02:15 PM
After many frustrations, my baby finally passed.
My car always passed with flying colors for HC at speed, but failed at the idle emission - actually you can smell it. Lot of that I think was due to the rough idle 700/800rpm. It failed last time even with a full tune up, oil change, intake cleaner, ICV cleaning, TB cleaning & valve adjustments. This time changed the O2 sensor, and ditched the KN filter for stock. After driving for awhile, I can still smell the nasty exhaust at idle. So cleaned ICV & TB again. I was looking at the TB and tried to figure out a way to raise the idle. There is a little bolt that adjusts the closed position of the TB. The thottle was opened to where it idled at 1000 rpm and the bolt was tightened. Those that know more about TB can chime in. The HC went from 880 to 40. Now I can spend more time on other more fun things - waxing the car before it gets cold.

E34-520iSE
09-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Something sounds a bit iffy here. By doing this the ecu's idle switch will be open, so you car's not really idling at all.

Cheers,

Shaun

Fetch
09-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Something sounds a bit iffy here. By doing this the ecu's idle switch will be open, so you car's not really idling at all.

Cheers,

Shaun

Sounds like it was just done to pass the test

M-what
09-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Sounds like it was just done to pass the test
That's correct. Now its back to normal blap blap blap idle.

632 Regal
09-30-2006, 06:54 PM
now to figure why it idles crappy.
That's correct. Now its back to normal blap blap blap idle.

E34-520iSE
10-01-2006, 01:11 PM
An air/vacuum leak?

M-what
10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
An air/vacuum leak?
No leaks, so I suspect the ICV or the AFM. Done lot of testing, but still have few more things to look at. ICV works (not sure it works 100% properly), rpm moves down and up when I disconnect/connect the plug. Haven't had time to test the AFM so that will be next. I am just happy that something that has been annoying problem has been solved, be it only be a temp fix. Now that I have my tab, I can get back to finding the source of the "blap blap blap" idle.

genphreak
10-01-2006, 09:19 PM
No leaks, so I suspect the ICV or the AFM. Done lot of testing, but still have few more things to look at. ICV works (not sure it works 100% properly), rpm moves down and up when I disconnect/connect the plug. Haven't had time to test the AFM so that will be next. I am just happy that something that has been annoying problem has been solved, be it only be a temp fix. Now that I have my tab, I can get back to finding the source of the "blap blap blap" idle.Follow this procedure, courtesy of the Great, Grand Master Wrencher, Bill R.

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/tps%20adjust.jpg