PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fan

GoldenOne
09-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Has/is anybody switched from using the traditional fan in the engine bay to an electric fan? I can see visible signs that mine is about to crap out and wondered if anybody done this... I was thinking of fitting one from an early z3 model with the m44 engine so they have those tabs to hook on to the radiator...

infinity5
09-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Has/is anybody switched from using the traditional fan in the engine bay to an electric fan? I can see visible signs that mine is about to crap out and wondered if anybody done this... I was thinking of fitting one from an early z3 model with the m44 engine so they have those tabs to hook on to the radiator...

Bruno had a write up on www.bmwe34.net (http://www.bmwe34.net) if that site is still up now-a-days.

I'm using only my aux fan on low speed and in the florida heat i still don't go past the center mark :D

From what i read by bruno, electric fans are generally going to be less reliable becuase they rely on electronics to run properly. The idea was always very appleaing to me though.

Michael999
09-30-2006, 06:19 PM
The radiator in my car (im assuming its the same in a 525) is 600x400mm
If you removed the shroud you should be able to fit a PAIR of 300mm fans.
If one dies, then the other still goes, and the airflow from them will be higher than a single larger fan as well.

Food for thought

genphreak
10-01-2006, 09:33 AM
The radiator in my car (im assuming its the same in a 525) is 600x400mm
If you removed the shroud you should be able to fit a PAIR of 300mm fans.
If one dies, then the other still goes, and the airflow from them will be higher than a single larger fan as well.

Food for thoughtNot many fans give enough flow consistency to provide accurate cooling rate. Most are either on or off which is why in most cases you are better with a hybrid of viscous clutch (providing economy & reliabaility), plus thermo fans for overload conditions. If you need more cooling try getting a bigger radiator...