PDA

View Full Version : Radiators SUCK.

DaveVoorhis
09-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Last week I discovered a sloooow radiator leak. Isn't it lucky, thought I, that I've got a spare used rad in the shed that came with a bundle of other parts, but that I've never used.

So I yanked out the old rad and at the same time replaced the original thermostat, thermo housing, plastic-impeller (with cracks, but hadn't shattered yet!) water pump and rattling fan clutch, plugged in the "new" rad and start pouring in fresh, expensive coolant and it RAN OUT AS FAST AS I POURED IT IN.

I hate it when that happens.

Turns out there's a big, gaping wound in the used rad. Didn't see it when I inspected it, but of course now it's fookin' obvious.

Serves me right for not testing it, I guess.

Peterlech
09-30-2006, 11:19 AM
These rads are so cheaply make, and the consequences of a failure are so bad, I would not screw around with a used one. Mine never leaked, but the outlet pipe broke off, spewing all the coolant out. Of course there was no coolant left to set off the temp gauge until it had blown the head gasket and warped the head. $3k later, the car runs great.

My advice: replace it at 80K even if it looks good.

danzee
09-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm on my third in 185,000 miles.
First two were OE (Behr)
This one's a Nissen. Looks the same but maybe it will be more durable.
Try changing from Behr and see if you have better luck.

Alan_525i
10-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Look into the Fluidyne Aluminum radiator for E36s. It may not be a perfect fit, but I'm sure its pretty close. While it costs twice as much, you will likely never have to replace it.

Available from: http://www.vacmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/special_view.pl?man=Fluidyne

(Other vendors carry it too, but VAC is local to me).

Jay 535i
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I replaced my OE rad after the original developed a small crack in the plastic part.

I've never heard of using plastic in a radiator. Sheesh.

DABLACK
10-02-2006, 08:32 AM
hey Dave I think I may have a rad for you here. I have 2!! 525 spare ones

:( unfortunatly my 535 needs one too...let me know i can hook ya up.
If anyone has a 535 auto rad hook me up PLEASE!!!

DaveVoorhis
10-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks, but I ordered a new one from eurocarparts.com about ten seconds before I started this thread. It should be here tomorrow morning.