PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my "rally" inspired headlights ;)

infinity5
09-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, finally got some pics up. These really don't do it justice. Also, i didn't feel like removing the hood to show you guys what was going on with the chassis sheet metal across the front, or the void where the vicous fan used to be.

http://i9.tinypic.com/34do5rr.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/3zghbo8.jpg

Ok, next are some pictures of my little project.

Since the viscous clutch died, and the A/C condensor got crushed, i thought i'd rearrange a few things. I ended up mounting the aux fan on the actual radiator, and used some pretty heavy wire to hold it in place. It fits perfectly bettween the transmission oil cooler and the side of the chassis!

You can also see the orange and black bungie cords that hold the hood down, which are a backup for the red wires i have twisted together that really hold the thing in place.

http://i9.tinypic.com/455neib.jpg

And here is another view:

http://i10.tinypic.com/2epu83c.jpg

Theres a good pic showing the hood damage but i don't feel like making another post to fit it in, unless your really interested. There are also some closer shots of the entire front end.

The turn signals are in pretty bad shape as far as dangling off the fenders. I want to buy some that match the new headlights and glue them on there.

High beams probably won't make an appearance unless i keep driving this for a long time.

After a day of testing at about 80degrees in traffic i've had no problems. At first i ranthe fan at low speed, but then went with high just to be safe. With the grill/headlights gone and the ac condensor removed it cools its self extremely well.

I also took the AC belt off while i was in there. Gotta get that extra .25HP the drag it caused was stealing!

infinity5
09-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Just FYI, those headlights cost $5.00 a piece, compared to in excess of $300 for new headlgihts and the grill pieces that fit around them!

Edit: The horns obviously went by-by. As you can see from their mounting points, they didn't really survive. I've also got to find someway to protect all those wires dangling around...!

Alexlind123
09-29-2006, 07:17 PM
I hope they are just temporary! :D

632 Regal
09-29-2006, 07:20 PM
those are the Dinan headlight option right? I like the racey look even though most people dont like the ricer mods like the garbage can exhaust.

sorry couldnt find the can exhaust picture to post.

infinity5
09-29-2006, 07:21 PM
I hope they are just temporary! :D

hehe, sadly they are not. At $5000 repairing it all wouldn't make much sense. I'm sure theres on on ebay right now for about that much in better condition.

Fetch
09-29-2006, 07:22 PM
this is one of the best e34 mods I've seen!, you must have increased airflow to the radiator 10 fold!

infinity5
09-29-2006, 07:29 PM
those are the Dinan headlight option right? I like the racey look even though most people dont like the ricer mods like the garbage can exhaust.

sorry couldnt find the can exhaust picture to post.

The electric Supercharger is on its way. God i'm going to be so fast.

infinity5
09-29-2006, 07:30 PM
this is one of the best e34 mods I've seen!, you must have increased airflow to the radiator 10 fold!

Its true! actaully i had the intake muffler in pieces and noticed that the little inlet part comes out to reveal a much larger hole! muhahaha

Fetch
09-29-2006, 07:37 PM
The electric Supercharger is on its way. God i'm going to be so fast.

ahahahaha

SC David
09-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Be sure to drive as much as you can in the rain.

infinity5
09-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Be sure to drive as much as you can in the rain.

I've driven it a lot in the rain like this, except for the auxilluary fan being moved today and whatnot.

I've had no problems so far, but we'll see how that fan holds up in the wetness. Suprisingly all the exposed connectors for the horns, headlights, fogs, etc etc have presented no problems.

I'm keeping my figners crossed!!

Dave M
09-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks, thats great. You get a 10 for artistic merit. Whats the next step? Drive it until someone offers top dollar, or sell it for parts?

Best of luck. Keep it real,

Dave M

winfred
09-29-2006, 09:29 PM
nothing is really going to get any wetter then it normally does

Elekta
09-29-2006, 10:13 PM
should we take up a collection to set your front end right again?

I have a set of kidney's I could offer up.

Qube
09-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Holy cold air intake batman! ;) Looks like a CAI project gone too far. I wonder if there is a lot more wind noise.

infinity5
09-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Holy cold air intake batman! ;) Looks like a CAI project gone too far. I wonder if there is a lot more wind noise.

not that i notice. In all seriousness, with the engine cover gone, the hood not sealing, and the air intake disassembled, and the grill gone the engine is really loud. i like it. it sounds deeper. Its not much, espeically with the windows up, but still ;)

Alexlind123
09-30-2006, 12:44 AM
hehe, sadly they are not. At $5000 repairing it all wouldn't make much sense. I'm sure theres on on ebay right now for about that much in better condition.

Go to a junkyard and guy used parts. I guarantee you will be able to fix it for significantly less than 5k.