PDA

View Full Version : pics / inspection of pitman arms?

everlast
09-29-2006, 05:41 PM
I just got a nice 91 525i last week. It has rear-end wander on sweepers, which I attribute to either subframe bushings or pitman arms. I've never had an e34 before, so any help would be appriciated.

Can anyone tell from these pics whether the pitmans look bad? They look a little 'off center'. The rubber lip easily moves when I push it.

The car doesn't make any 'clunk' sounds ever, in fact, its stone quiet, so I don't think the subframe bushings are shot.

Thanks for the help.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-29-2006, 06:01 PM
when they fail, the rubber boot blows out, the grease is gone and all you're left with is a dogbone with a couple of metal bushings flopping in them.

Alexlind123
09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
when they fail, the rubber boot blows out, the grease is gone and all you're left with is a dogbone with a couple of metal bushings flopping in them.

I hate to say youre wrong, but in this case you are. I had them fail and the boots were perfect. After removing them they were extremely sloppy and loose.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-29-2006, 08:27 PM
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/51281

Mine were far worse than this guys, clearly I needed new ones.

Alexlind123
09-30-2006, 12:42 AM
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/51281

Mine were far worse than this guys, clearly I needed new ones.

I was just saying that they definetely can be worn out even if the boots are intact.

everlast
09-30-2006, 01:48 AM
thanks for the input guys, for sure. I think given the ease / price I'll change them asap. I'm done my timing belt on my e30 so the garage should be free barring any problems starting it up tomorrow. :D

Here's a pic of the beast in question, for kicks.

632 Regal
09-30-2006, 07:42 AM
dont get then crap ones off ebay namely FCPscrotum I went that route as a test and anything they sell is crap and needs replacing after a month.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-30-2006, 11:30 PM
One year and still holoding on.....

But these are easy to replace, so it's not as bad as a front end of FCP Hamburg stuff I guess.

632 Regal
10-01-2006, 12:34 AM
the rears have already failed, theres more slop than the originals I took out, was nice for a week or so. go check them puppies Bob.

One year and still holoding on.....

But these are easy to replace, so it's not as bad as a front end of FCP Hamburg stuff I guess.