PDA

View Full Version : Changing my mind about the 8-series

Jay 535i
09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Any time someone mentions the 8-series, I'm there to tell them the 928 is better.

Well, I was in Dallas this week, and met a German guy with the sweetest E31 I've ever seen. It was a 1996 850, black, with two-tone interior (black and cream) and Style 5 rims. Being a Texas car, it was totally unmarked.

The owner says she's a high-maintenance diva, which is why he calls her Celine. That's her license plate, too.

Dynamically, I suspect the 928 is still better, but man did this thing look good. Wish I'd had a camera. If I'd been able to park my car next to his (same color, same rims), it'd have made a great family photo. :)

Qube
09-29-2006, 02:23 PM
e34 is the bigger brother, and the e31 is the smooth operator ;) Yeah, well kept ones are gorgeous.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I never liked the 928's looks, too round with amphibian heads lights

Brandon J
09-29-2006, 03:21 PM
My father owns an 850i and had it since 1992. People still ask if it is a new model that BMW released and I just say it isn't and that it is old....they stay baffled. The look of it is and will be stunning for years. It is amazing on the highway, the 12 cylinder is silky smooth, and what a stiff body. A few years back during one of the meets, my brother drove the e31 and we started and ran the engine with a quarter standing up on its side. Still smooth after all these years.

It can be a very capable BMW with the right parts. Just like the e34, it can wallow and sway on tight turns. With a good suspension set-up of springs/shocks and sway bars, the e31 can handle off freeway ramps with ease. One thing I do have to say is the suspension geomoetry in the back is great. It does work to lean less on sweeping turns.

One thing I do notice is how slick it is. I will drive it on a windy day here in the Windy City and not notice any wind noise. Then switch to my e34 and am amazed how the e31 just cuts through.

Here is something I remember from BMW magazine. There was a story about an e31 owner who was hit on the passenger side by a train going 45mph. The car flew and the driver walked away. Driving at higher speeds with a coupe or doing the daily defensive driving, I would rather be in the e31 than a 928 if involved in an accident.

zman-95-540i
09-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Ahhh the 928. I remember lusting over those in my teenage years. Now that I can afford one they are no longer that attractive to me. I would definitely go with the e31 over a 928. I came close to getting one before I picked up the 540 but wasn't ready to make the committment. Maybe a few years down the road but not now.