PDA

View Full Version : ETK Crashing - any ideas

Derek A.
09-29-2006, 06:20 AM
I set up a freasly loaded win2k machine with ETK on it. Am getting random shut downs of the program. Was curious if anyone had similar problems and a solution.

Thanks

D.-

yaofeng
09-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Why not use WinXP? That thing is six years old.

DaveVoorhis
09-29-2006, 06:49 AM
WinXP and Win2K internals are not significantly different. If the ETK is crashing, the problem probably lies elsewhere. I've had no such problems with my copy.

Do you use the computer for anything else? Check for random crashes in other software; if they occur, a not uncommon source of these on a fresh OS install is failing RAM or a defective CPU fan causing the CPU to overheat, though the latter usually locks up the whole computer.

Espen
09-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Start->Run-> type "eventvwr" (without the quotes) check the system and application log around the time the application crashed.

jbourke
09-29-2006, 08:34 AM
I set up a freasly loaded win2k machine with ETK on it. Am getting random shut downs of the program. Was curious if anyone had similar problems and a solution.

Thanks

D.-
I would check 2 things:

- there is an ERRLOGS subdirectory in the ETK directory, see if it contains any useful error info
- I think ETK uses an ODBC connection to the ETK database, see if your win2k machine has a correct ODBC installation.

Good luck

632 Regal
09-29-2006, 10:06 AM
did you install it in the correct order? Its very fussy like that.

Qube
09-29-2006, 10:26 AM
If you're adamant to troubleshoot it and not attempt to reinstall the application, we can get technical and process dump ETK on crash.

If you are, grab this an install Typical on the PC:
http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/debuggers/dbg_x86_6.6.07.5.exe

Then as a stopgap, go START / RUN / drwtsn32 -i
- this will set DrWatson as the default debugger

Run ETK, let it crash, then START / RUN / drwtsn32
- you should see an entry in the box below for the ETK
- double click on it and paste all the plaintext information here

If that's no good, then we'll capture a process dump.

That's if you want to go that route.

ryan roopnarine
09-29-2006, 10:36 AM
as a windows 2k user, my problem was fixed when i uninstalled and scrubbed the registry entries out. install after that, fine. windows 2000 is the only operating system that microsoft made in the past 6 years, for the person implying thatthere was an alternative.....