PDA

View Full Version : E34 M50 1994 BMW 525i Getrag Manual Transmission Question

milovanov
09-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Hello everybody,

i have an issue that i cannot solve and eveybody gives me a run around.
Here it is:

I have 1994 BMW 525i E34 M50 with bad manual transmission.
I bought ZF transmission form 1998 M3 E36 S52.
It fit on the engine, however did not fit on the driveshaft.
I then bought Driveshaft from 1998 M3 E36 S52 and it is too short.
Re-welding the flange cannot happen because the M3 driveshaft flange is too big to fit the current driveshaft.

So, my wuestion is, what is my best options and if that is buying a different transmission, which one to buy?

Please help me out, i am already $1000 in the hole and nothing done...

Thank you.

BTW, bmw dealership mechanics asked me "what is getrag?" - WOW!

stx133
09-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Keep the box, if you have it fitted to the motor and the stick in the hole you are 4/5ths the way there.

Can you cut and sleeve the 2 shafts to join? ie: front end m3 rear end original

Get a driveshaft shop to put it together for you. they can replace any universal joints at the same time.

milovanov
09-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Keep the box, if you have it fitted to the motor and the stick in the hole you are 4/5ths the way there.

Can you cut and sleeve the 2 shafts to join? ie: front end m3 rear end original

Get a driveshaft shop to put it together for you. they can replace any universal joints at the same time.

unfortunately, driveshaft shops will not take the job because the flange is totally different size and there is no way to balance/align it.
The driveshafts will not fit together by halfs, they are totally different.

Thank you for your help...

SnakeyesTx
09-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Your best bet is to just have the new driveshaft lengthened. Cut the ends off and put a longer pipe in between. I get this done all the time and its usually about 150 USD with new Ujoints and balancing included and you could get it back in as little as an hour if the shop is good.

milovanov
10-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Your best bet is to just have the new driveshaft lengthened. Cut the ends off and put a longer pipe in between. I get this done all the time and its usually about 150 USD with new Ujoints and balancing included and you could get it back in as little as an hour if the shop is good.

the driveshaft shops around here will not cut the driveshaft anywhere esle but where they supposed to when exchanging flange. Plus, the driveshaft is pressed in, so u-joints cannot be just removed, there are a lot more things involved, so none of the shops will even try to do so especially because none of them can balance the drive shaft with my situation.

Thank you.