PDA

View Full Version : Best way to slightly lower the frontend

e34musician
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Everything looks good on a stock setup, except that I just don't like the gap that is too big at the front wheel wells. It's worst when you park facing up hill. Any quick suggestion on slightly lowering the frontend (say 0.5"-1")? I don't want to touch anything on the back. It looks good already.

Thanks,
Pete

CarloE34
09-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Maybe a M-tech suspension?:)
Lowering 2 cm.Sorry but i'm not good in inches:D

e34musician
09-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Maybe a M-tech suspension?:)
Lowering 2 cm.Sorry but i'm not good in inches:D

2 cm. sounds perfect!;) What do I have to buy? New springs and new shocks? Will this M-tech be able to handle the V8 weight?

Thanks,
Pete

CarloE34
09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Well M-tech is expensive when buying new.Second hand are hard to find.
You could look for Biltstein shocks and Eibach springs.Those are good.
As i know will it take the weight of a V8.
For my 17" wheels i could use the M5 front mounting or the V8.I took the M5 suspension.I took allso the powerflex bushes.This is complete front and rear.
If you only want to do it in front you better look for the Eibach and Biltstein.
They even sell complete sets.

E34 530
09-28-2006, 12:43 PM
I went with Eibach/Bilstein on my 530. I'm really liking the combination. Nice handling, looks, etc. Not too low and never bottoms out.

632 Regal
09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
bilstein suck. M-tech should work out great as they dont lower the front of the 6 cyl cars much.

CarloE34
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I agree but as an alternative its the best choice i think.

632 Regal
09-28-2006, 01:21 PM
you talking about bilsteins?
http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Bumpstops.htm

edit last pic is missing gonna have to try to locate that shot

I agree but as an alternative its the best choice i think.

E34 530
09-28-2006, 04:01 PM
bilstein suck. M-tech should work out great as they dont lower the front of the 6 cyl cars much.

idk man, I'm liking them so far, but the roads in NJ might be in better shape than where you live.

Alexlind123
09-28-2006, 05:29 PM
I have bilsteins on my '34 and my brother has them on his e28, and they work very well on both!

saj3n
09-28-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm running Eibach's/KYB's ride is a bit more harsh than it was with stock setup, but after replacing the bad control arms, things are a bit better. Handling is precise and responsive. The look is much better than stock as well, and no rubbing or bottoming out yet. Roads here in Philly are pretty bad too. I'm running 18" x 9" on the rears, 275/35/18 tires.

e34musician
09-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks a lot guys for the inputs. I found a summary on E34 spring & shock combinations here with pictures. Not sure it this has been posted here already. Pretty good writeup.

http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

I'm still making up my mind on which way to go... Can I just cut the bottom of the front springs a bit to lower it? If this is a bad idea, pls let me know. Anyone has ever cut springs?

GoldenOne
09-30-2006, 11:37 AM
bad bad bad! sorry but cutting your springs is just retarded...not to mention it will kill your shocks...

Jay 535i
09-30-2006, 01:30 PM
The Sachs kit is good. It'll drop about 1.5" at the front and 0.5" at the back. Click my sig pic for more photos.

NB: in my sig pic photos, there's a transmission in the trunk, so figure about 0.5" higher at the back and lower at the front with an empty trunk ;)

CarloE34
09-30-2006, 02:34 PM
The Sachs kit is good. It'll drop about 1.5" at the front and 0.5" at the back. Click my sig pic for more photos.

NB: in my sig pic photos, there's a transmission in the trunk, so figure about 0.5" higher at the back and lower at the front with an empty trunk ;)

Btw.What a great car you have.I like those wheels.:D

Jeff N.
09-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Replace your stock 9mm front spring pads with those from the 540 / M5 EDC suspension. 3mm thick.

Jeff

Everything looks good on a stock setup, except that I just don't like the gap that is too big at the front wheel wells. It's worst when you park facing up hill. Any quick suggestion on slightly lowering the frontend (say 0.5"-1")? I don't want to touch anything on the back. It looks good already.

Thanks,
Pete

Jeff N.
09-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Would you like to quantify that? Or shall it put in the same categories as a$$holes?

I've got 100K miles on my bilsteins - street and track use - and they've been nothing but fine. You need to get right ones for your springs - sports or normal. Talk to your spring provider.

Jay 535i
09-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Btw.What a great car you have.I like those wheels.:D

Thank you very much. :)

e34musician
09-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks Jay and Jeff,

Jay, very nice car! I'm not sure if my M60 V8 engine will drop the front more than 1.5" with the Sachs kit. But overall this seems to be a good compromise for drive comfort and appearance. I went to BMA, but I can't seem to find the Sachs kit at all. Anywhere else selling the Sach kits for E34?

Jeff, Thanks for the little tip. Actually, that might be all I wanted. I'm a bit too old for lowering the car too much:) I will seach for this online.

Jay 535i
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Jay, very nice car! I'm not sure if my M60 V8 engine will drop the front more than 1.5" with the Sachs kit. But overall this seems to be a good compromise for drive comfort and appearance. I went to BMA, but I can't seem to find the Sachs kit at all. Anywhere else selling the Sach kits for E34?

Thank you very much.

With the V8, your car might sit a little lower than mine up front -- maybe another 0.25-0.5 inches.

Indeed, it looks great, handles great and is still comfy.

I don't think you can buy the "Sachs kit" per se in one box. If I recall correctly, it's actually Boge dampers and Eibach springs. Anyway, phone BMA, ask for Yves or Patrick, tell them you want the Sachs kit for the E34 and they will know exactly what you mean, guaranteed. Mention this site for a small discount.

632 Regal
10-01-2006, 05:50 PM
want a 1/4 inch tug it a bit ;) you will get a LOT more road noise in the cabin with the 3mm pads. Talk about a$$holes, forgot to tell him that.

Replace your stock 9mm front spring pads with those from the 540 / M5 EDC suspension. 3mm thick.

Jeff

Macv
10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
OT Question: I really want to lower my baby, But I constantly drive on backroads. In Indiana, backroads are BAD; feet-wide potholes, slanted roads, random bumps, you name it. I have actually bottomed out on stock suspension.. :( Ever since that, I drive real slow when I have to take the back roads. If I lower it and drive slow (cautious) would I be alright or am I screwed?

632 Regal
10-01-2006, 06:51 PM
in all honesty Mac, you may be better with the stock elevated travel front end. Especially if you have it bottoming as is. I only get the honor of 1 mile of dirt schraded bomb appearing travel before paved and even going slow if you dont remember each and every killer hole it will bottom.

the Bilsteins I has sucked as I said, the sachs with lowered springs and modified bumpstops seem to be much more stable, less bottoming and better overall than the bilsteins.

im using the eibach springs and the front is fine lowered but the rears after a couple years seem to sag a bit. the stock would bee too tall to swap in for a full fit but im playing around with a 3/4 spacer from a custom fab shop where i can still just assemble the rear units.

OT Question: I really want to lower my baby, But I constantly drive on backroads. In Indiana, backroads are BAD; feet-wide potholes, slanted roads, random bumps, you name it. I have actually bottomed out on stock suspension.. :( Ever since that, I drive real slow when I have to take the back roads. If I lower it and drive slow (cautious) would I be alright or am I screwed?

Macv
10-01-2006, 07:19 PM
A big problem for me is the fact that the road is 4 or 5 inches higher in the middle than at the sides. Since the roads are narrow, I usually drive in the center. Recently I have tried to keep one tire on the high spot and make my right tire suffer the bumps (at a slow speed of course). Luckily my JEEP will be finished soon, so I don't have to worry about the back roads as much.

Thanks for your insight