PDA

View Full Version : not really an E34 question... but BFC doesnt seem to help

ArtemLepilov
09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
M42 - when i rev it past 4k RPM, it stumbles and the revs oscillate from 4000-4200 RPM very quickly, if you are in gear the car jerks badly forward and brakes - engine literally stumbles. Happens at any speed in any gear.

What would be the case for that? Does anyone know?

-Thanks, Artem :)

e39dream
09-27-2006, 09:31 PM
these are just complete guesses, but as no one has chimed in yet, food for thought.

coil packs- make sure you have spark to all cylinders.

slack in timing chain or belt

bad gasoline or bad air fuel ratio

beyond that I am stumped.

ArtemLepilov
09-27-2006, 09:41 PM
The chain one would be realy bad, may need to accelerate in terms of acquiring a new tensioner. I put the "plus fuel in there - 89 octane" Would that be bad for it? I am almost certain it had issues with the Premium as well.

I can also clean the coil packs, but the car seems to run very smooth othervise - smoother than my E34 when it was missing on a cylinder.

I really didnt want to do anything to the car until in about 2 weeks, but I need to figure this out - i dont want to kill the engine right away. I wanted to refresh it later, swap everything and ll flids, etc.

Slithly OT: Anyone has cool rims foe sale that fit the 4x100 bolt pattern? With new tires hopefully I need to get new tires, but it will cost me around $200 altogether, I was hoping to get a new set of rims with relatively new tires for that much.

-Artem

ArtemLepilov
09-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Also - the fuel delivery seemed like the most obvious problem to me, I think the engine just refuses to rev past that often.

Also the car sounds pretty loud.

(If all that helps)

-Artem

e39dream
09-27-2006, 09:52 PM
not sure about the rev issue like I said, but you may want to check your nearest big citys craigslist for wheels, I have seen alot of great deals on there in chicagoland.

ArtemLepilov
09-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks man :) I will do the CL thing about the wheels - havent seen any good ones there lately though.

I know i need to give the car a tuneup but just how long can i run it with the problems... That I do not know. Wish i did :(

I would really hate the engine to break on me somewhere halfway before the break..

-Artem

brosher
09-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Does it happen at partial throttle or only full throttle? Sounds like you might be running very rich. Did you recently make a change or did it just start happening?

ArtemLepilov
09-27-2006, 11:22 PM
I just got the car and it started happening as soon as i got it - so I dont know.. It happens at full throttle. (Full throttle only)

-Artem

632 Regal
09-27-2006, 11:27 PM
change the fuel filter(s) and if the problem persists check fuel pressure

ArtemLepilov
09-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Will do asap - fuel filter is easy.

If the test tmr will go well, i will go it after the test tmr.

-Artem