PDA

View Full Version : My Trans Prog odyssey

BIGRED
09-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Hello All,

I purchased a 94 530it with several known issues. One was the Trans Program issue which can have a variety or sources. In my case I chose to have my mechanic have a look which he did (Mr. MB in Tarzana Ca 250 miles from me). He said that it was outside his area of expertise and suggest a trans shop that only does MB and BMW's. Enrique of Mr. MB is as honest and competent a man I have ever done business with, so for the past 3 weeks my car has been at the suggested trans shop.

Since the car has been there, he has pulled and disassemble the transmission twice, checked the entire car for codes, checked all electrical possibilities, hydraulic and mechanic problems. Everything worked seemingly as it should with air applied, Still "TRANS PROG" came on. Finally today he found what he believes to have been the problem. there was a crack in the weld of the drum that affects 4th. This most likely caused a pressure drop, slip and ta da....
TRANS PROG.

In my case it would seem it acted as it was intended too. TO prevent further damage and allow you to "limp home".

So in the hen (I Hope IU will know on Friday) I will have a rebuilt trans with a couple of new drums.

Regards
Don

BIGRED
10-03-2006, 09:09 PM
And...some broken parts in the valve body. I am told (it is still at the trans shop) that it is operating as it should. Now it is off to the mechanic to work on some other items. Hope to have it back in a week.

Don