PDA

View Full Version : What is this for?

pgrindstaff
09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
After looking at some pictures of other E34s, I noticed that most of you have a solid tow hook plate on both sides next to the fog lights. Mine however has a duct that goes somewhere, but I have no idea where, nor do I actually care, just curious. I did notice that when I wash my car and spray water in there that the water that comes out is full of gas or oil or something. Here's a pic:

http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/DSC01084640x480.JPG

Yeah, I know, that trim piece is a little rough, just give me time, and a part number lol. Anyway, thanks for your input

nizmainiac
09-27-2006, 05:41 PM
would it be a cold air feed to the airbox? if it is don't spray water in it

632 Regal
09-27-2006, 05:56 PM
thats the air feed to the alternator. Under the bumper there should be plastic ducting that goes the the alternator. Many cars dont have them and it can lead to excessive wear.

Qube
09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
thats the air feed to the alternator. Under the bumper there should be plastic ducting that goes the the alternator. Many cars dont have them and it can lead to excessive wear.

What are you talking about? :) My alternator had a CAI that ducted to behind the headlights. I can't see how they would allow a duct so low such that the alternator could get wet?

genphreak
09-27-2006, 06:46 PM
would it be a cold air feed to the airbox? if it is don't spray water in itBMW airboxes can handle **** loads of spray water, they are designed to. The internal design arrests the drops and drains out- 110mph in the pouring rain is kinda like the first test they must pass. Intake humidity to the engine can increase, but it takes minutes for the element to dry once the heavy storm passes. The car operates perfectly well at bahn speed despite this however, perhaps the water causes some effect increasing consumption reducing performance but usually the cold helps and with that much rain out there it is the last thing on a drivers mind...

genphreak
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
What are you talking about? :) My alternator had a CAI that ducted to behind the headlights. I can't see how they would allow a duct so low such that the alternator could get wet? The M60 intakes are a different setup to M30. It'd be well managed, not sure how though, Jeff?

632 Regal
09-27-2006, 07:08 PM
#5 is the alternator cooling tube deal:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=12_0492&hg=12&fg=22

The M60 intakes are a different setup to M30. It'd be well managed, not sure how though, Jeff?

genphreak
09-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks Jeff. Perhaps this the standard setup on all V8s: Looks to me like the air is being blown into the area directly behind the alternator. This would create a vacuum behind it, ensuring a consistent flow of air coming from the radiator (which is within a known temperature range) gets drawn through the alternator. Whatever water can make it in can therefore do so without any ill effect...

pgrindstaff
09-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the information guys. As always, you are a great deal of help and I really appreciate it.

E34 530
09-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Regal is right. The m60's had different cooling methods.

Fetch
09-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, my m60 got a new alternator before I bought it, I'm pretty sure I don't have this tubing. I'm also a little worried if it is the correct amps, but that's another thing I need to check.

If I don't have the cooling tube, would there be a 'correct' way to permanently rig it up, or should I just buy the tube part from the dealer?

mikell
09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Jeff's right - cooling for the alt. Question is - why all the goo when you wash the car? Could be seeping engine oil, pwr steering fluid, brake fluid - maybe just road gunk? I'd check into that before worrying about air to the alt.