PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust backpipe welding

rob101
09-27-2006, 06:33 AM
I finally got the correct sleeves for welding the mid and rear mufflers together. I am thinking of just getting it done at work. I am just wondering whether anyone knows the correct procedure for fixing it up. can i weld it off to i have to tack it on the car first. also why do they use the sleeves? wouldn't it just be easy to weld the 2 twin pipes together anyway?
and yes they are OEM pipes.

genphreak
09-27-2006, 06:42 AM
I finally got the correct sleeves for welding the mid and rear mufflers together. I am thinking of just getting it done at work. I am just wondering whether anyone knows the correct procedure for fixing it up. can i weld it off to i have to tack it on the car first. also why do they use the sleeves? wouldn't it just be easy to weld the 2 twin pipes together anyway?
and yes they are OEM pipes.The bending moment applied to that section of pipe during the cars life is quite high. Welds in thin pipe material are notorious for blow-throughs, brittleness, rust and strength problems. Basically the exhaust rattles and bounces so much the welds eventually break. The sleeves are supposed to help prevent it I think.

rob101
09-27-2006, 06:55 AM
yeah anyway that was a question that the foreman raised. I can't really see misalignment being a big deal since there is a little bit of space in the gap in the chassis for the rear muff which is the only thing that i could see being a problem. so am contemplating just getting them welded and then chucking it up. tacking in situ and then dropping it downwill be a serious pain if its necessary.

I was going to get an exhaust shop to do it, but i don't see the point i can get the car up enough at work. I f-ing hate letting other people touch my car.

genphreak
09-27-2006, 07:06 AM
yeah anyway that was a question that the foreman raised. I can't really see misalignment being a big deal since there is a little bit of space in the gap in the chassis for the rear muff which is the only thing that i could see being a problem. so am contemplating just getting them welded and then chucking it up. tacking in situ and then dropping it downwill be a serious pain if its necessary.

I was going to get an exhaust shop to do it, but i don't see the point i can get the car up enough at work. I f-ing hate letting other people touch my car.I'd do it right if I were you. I find it real easy to remove the exhaust, a hoist is not requird just some room, its a piece of piss. The secret is always use anti-seize on your engine pipe bolts and always replace the 4 nuts on the front pipes (cheap from the stealer)... :) Nick

rob101
09-27-2006, 07:08 AM
yeah already got all the gear, the welding is the only part i am wondering about, i've dropped the front and back pipe off before recently and used all new nuts and anti-sieze so it shouldn't be too difficult. I think its 6 nuts if you mean the header to front pipe connection flange (isn't a gay ball and socket-esque type joint like the early m30, just Flange and gasket.)
i saw one of those ball and joint connections on a Kenworth, the company's other kenworth had the same but they modified it to flange and gasket because that ball joint thing leaks too much.

genphreak
09-27-2006, 07:18 AM
yeah already got all the gear, the welding is the only part i am wondering about, i've dropped the front and back pipe off before recently and used all new nuts and anti-sieze so it shouldn't be too difficult. I think its 6 nuts if you mean the header to front pipe connection flange (isn't a gay ball and socket-esque type joint like the early m30, just Flange and gasket.)
i saw one of those ball and joint connections on a Kenworth, the company's other kenworth had the same but they modified it to flange and gasket because that ball joint thing leaks too much.Heh, yea well a KW isn't a Bimmer is it? That said, mine leaks when the bolts loosen, which they do as the springs are dead due to turkey working in a certain queer exhaust shop I had the misfortune of using.

That reminds me... I have to find some new ones somehwere...

rob101
09-27-2006, 07:27 AM
bah, thats the same reason why bmw stopped using them. Yeah kenworths aren't that fascinating, unlike the TT V8 diesels in our big Liebherrs. they are very quiet and clean, I like that :-) I can feel my lungs soaking up bad stuff when the old 1970s POS american made cranes run their diesels.

genphreak
09-27-2006, 07:31 AM
bah, thats the same reason why bmw stopped using them. Yeah kenworths aren't that fascinating, unlike the TT V8 diesels in our big Liebherrs. they are very quiet and clean, I like that :-) I can feel my lungs soaking up bad stuff when the old 1970s POS american made cranes run their diesels.I agree it's not ideal. BMW made them work quite well at least on mine. A lot of the later B35 motors had a flexible joint on the engine pipe that probably helped with this in the field. :) Nick