PDA

View Full Version : Almost everything electrical works backwards!!

shogun
09-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Just ran about this problem someone has. Any ideas to help? :)

"Hey everyone, my 94 E32 740il is going crazy on me. My passenger mirror goes up instead of down when in reverse. All the controls for the seats and steering wheel works backwards. Push up to go down & forward to go back. Has anyone had this problem or know the cause?? My A/C stopped working a couple of years ago around the first sign of the backwardness. The a/c use to only work when I would hit a pot hole. Now, it doesn't work at all. I hope it's not trying to work backwards. Well anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated."

signed by "CONGIRL" :D

Yiorgos
09-27-2006, 02:32 AM
Relay is in backwards :D

Espen
09-27-2006, 02:41 AM
First thing that hit me was that the electric current was going the wrong way, as in battery have been replaced with one that has the poles on the opposite sides.. But if that was true the car wouldnt have runned i think, and the generator would have short`ed the battery.

shogun
09-27-2006, 03:00 AM
I think it could be a ground problem. Most of the parts she says are going wrong are connected to the memory module under drivers seat =
mirrors, seats, and the electric telescope steering wheel.

Thr aircon thing is something apart from that problem.

Paul in NZ
09-27-2006, 03:03 AM
he sys everything but only the seats anf mirrors are actually mentioned.something in just that circuit is reversed,prolly doesnt matter except its confusing

shogun
09-27-2006, 06:13 AM
My reply, let's see:

apparently you have a ground problem

As for the aircon, it seems that you have a ground cable problem, as it works when you hit a pot hole. Maybe then the ground cable makes good contact only or is half broken.

The other problems:
electric power seats, passenger mirror and steering wheel control are all controlled by the memory control module under the driver seat.
There a 2 different memory modules, which have been built into the built years 1992/3/beg. of 1994. You have not indicated any VIN, or exact date of production of the car = month and year. Therefore I cannot say what is installed.
But both memory modules have different plugs. Early production years have 10 sockets/plugs, later ones only 5 of them!

So you can easily distinguish what you have installed.

The relais have their own power connection and when these are mixed up, the motors just run the other way round.
Plus power is 3 x connected, ground cable 2 x.

The newer design /built year switch for memory has for the control 3 LED in parallel, the older one has bulbs!
So easy to find out what you have installed.
So check the memory module under the driver's seat, all plugs in correctly? No corrosion? Ground cables connected properly?

I am not aware how much knowledge you have with electrics/electronics on this car, but I would recommend that you visit a shop with good electronic knowledge so that they can check this.
If you need wiring diagrams by production year, here
http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e32/

Let us know what you can find out with this info.

Bill R.
09-27-2006, 08:13 AM
e32 board. If i recall correctly on the 750 that i had it happen on. The problem was in the GM and the cure was to disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect. When i had it happen on a customers 750 it was after i had been working on the engine with the battery disconnected. When i reconnected seats and mirrors were backwards. I disconnected the battery and connected the terminals together, waited a few minutes and then reconnnected , i had to do this a couple of times and it started working correctly then.

My reply, let's see:

apparently you have a ground problem

As for the aircon, it seems that you have a ground cable problem, as it works when you hit a pot hole. Maybe then the ground cable makes good contact only or is half broken.

The other problems:
electric power seats, passenger mirror and steering wheel control are all controlled by the memory control module under the driver seat.
There a 2 different memory modules, which have been built into the built years 1992/3/beg. of 1994. You have not indicated any VIN, or exact date of production of the car = month and year. Therefore I cannot say what is installed.
But both memory modules have different plugs. Early production years have 10 sockets/plugs, later ones only 5 of them!

So you can easily distinguish what you have installed.

The relais have their own power connection and when these are mixed up, the motors just run the other way round.
Plus power is 3 x connected, ground cable 2 x.

The newer design /built year switch for memory has for the control 3 LED in parallel, the older one has bulbs!
So easy to find out what you have installed.
So check the memory module under the driver's seat, all plugs in correctly? No corrosion? Ground cables connected properly?

I am not aware how much knowledge you have with electrics/electronics on this car, but I would recommend that you visit a shop with good electronic knowledge so that they can check this.
If you need wiring diagrams by production year, here
http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e32/ (http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/%7Edave/BMW/e32/)

Let us know what you can find out with this info.