PDA

View Full Version : E38 shifter handle installation DIY

shogun
09-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I got some pics and info from Germany
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/257144
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/256767

The E38 handle has no lock bolt in front of the handle, it is screwed in. But you cannot just glue on the handle to the lever, because sometimes you have to remove the handle to get the wood out in the console, for example to clean the gear selector switch.
So you either have to buy the metal rod from the E38 also, or modify the E32 rod by inserting a bolt where you can then screw in the handle. And the white plastic pin has to be adjusted too.
Above shows some solutions.

Thayne
09-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Thats awesome! Would this work on an E34 as well?

shogun
09-27-2006, 06:25 AM
Should work, if it works on E32.
Some mods rquired as shown, but that is not too complicated.

Thayne
09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Sweet! I am going to look into this! :D

Fred Tyler
09-28-2006, 03:36 AM
I have just done this, but bought new gear shift leg from BMA if I had seen your pics I could have saved A$45. and been less apprehensive about cutting 10mm or so off the shifter. all in all I was happy with the mod " my oem timber T handle was very ordinary.

GJPinAU
09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
I have just done this, but bought new gear shift leg from BMA if I had seen your pics I could have saved A$45. and been less apprehensive about cutting 10mm or so off the shifter. all in all I was happy with the mod " my oem timber T handle was very ordinary.
Pics Fred! show us the pics!
This is a great upgrade :D

genphreak
09-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Pics Fred! show us the pics!
This is a great upgrade :DYes that'd be great. I still don't get how the e38 knob is secured.... the e34 one has a torx screw that threads into the post. Is there some kind of clip on the 38 one or is it an interference fit?

I have an e46 handle on mine, it is great but I stopped short of cutting the shifter post for the moment. It is too high, but I wanted to sort out a way to fasten it first. However it is a tight fit, so the 46 handle is working okay so far and I could cut if down whenever I feel like it. I like the modern shifter surround too. e46 may be a possible option here too. :) Nick

shogun
09-29-2006, 12:57 AM
How about drilling a small 2.5 mm hole in front of the knob and a small thread into the metal of the lever, same like your present handle of the E34 is secured? Or replace the lever against one from the E38.

Fred Tyler
10-01-2006, 02:24 AM
The e46 knob just pushes on to lock, you may read, where some folks have hit themselves in the head while trying to get them off. They is a little twist movement between the knob and stick, but I don't see the need for the original grub screw.

genphreak
10-01-2006, 09:19 AM
The e46 knob just pushes on to lock, you may read, where some folks have hit themselves in the head while trying to get them off. They is a little twist movement between the knob and stick, but I don't see the need for the original grub screw.Is yours a shorter/diff stem or cut down? Mine is way too tall but refuses to 'lock on' It won't go down any further... are you saying I should try to twist it whilst pushing down?

Jay 535i
10-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Sweet! I always wanted to do this mod myself, but it looked too tricky. Got a manual now, but way cool!

Fred Tyler
10-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Genphreak, No I bought the shorter stem, if you look at the pics at the start of this thread there are measurements and a guide for modding the longer oem stem. E46 knob doesn't have retaining grub screw like T gear knob, it pushes on and locks in. After installation there is some movement due to clearance in slot at the top of the stem.