PDA

View Full Version : california cars? how are they different?

hatched91
09-26-2006, 06:08 PM
how are california bmw's are different than bmw's for the other different states, in terms of emission things, like exhaust, computers, etc.?

SC David
09-26-2006, 06:21 PM
From what I know I don't think they are any different. The new ones are generally brought over here after the anticipation that they would be sold under strict CA emmissions laws. I'm pretty sure we are the reason that the US doesn't get the full range of models, since it would be to much of a hassle to convert all the different engines to fit the standards. Some models from other companies, like the VW Toureg V10 TDI was never supposed to make it over here, but lately I've seen a bunch of them. Maybe they sued, since that seems to be the only option for a lot of manufacturers??

Someone tell me I'm wrong???

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-26-2006, 06:36 PM
the drivers are "different"

Atl530i
09-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Smog crap. I'll never buy a Cali car.

hatched91
09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
smog crap huh? is any of this stuff easily removable? the only reason i ask is because i want a 540i/6spd black on black with around 150k miles for 10k. there is one in cali that is in mint condition, one owner, never wrecked, all the "diagnosed 97-99 540 problems" fixed. only issue is it's a cali car and i've heard they are too different.

colo525i
09-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Anything cali model will have extra emissions stuff tacked on. My 1984 kawasaki GPZ turbo had all this goofy evaporative emissions stuff on it that made it run like junk! My guess is that it wouldn't be very easy to swap all the parts out, as there may be cali specific parts all over the place.

SC David CA emissions laws are why there will be no VW diesels in the 2007 model year, as CA standards are adopted across the US for this coming model year. The touareg diesels are probably being sold to buyers in cali used, as cars with more than so many thousand miles don't need to conform to CARB standards, just pass the regular testing.

We certainly don't get the full range of engines over here, from small gas engines to almost all diesels. I certainly wouldn't mind a new 330d if i had the money to burn!

CharlesAFerg
09-26-2006, 11:29 PM
It's warm, doesn't rain much, and they don't use salt.

Gayle
09-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Was the car originally sold in CA? Only cars originally sold here had to have the extra emission stuff. The state allows used cars to be brought in from other states and they don't have to have the extra emmission stuff on them. Two of our three vehicles were originally sold out of state and don't have it. I am in San Diego and mine came from NYC. Most e34s are on about their 4th owner. Just because the car is in CA now doesn't mean it started there.

fkong777
09-27-2006, 12:01 AM
when a seller list it as a "California Car" it is because California tend to have a great climate for keeping cars.. it isnt too hot.. not much rain and it doesnt snow.. There tend to be minimal rust issues with california cars. Its a good thing. Very few area on the globe has the climate of So cal..which is classified as Mediterranean Climate.

Mediterranean climate include much of California between Cape Mendocino and greater Los Angeles, the Western Cape in South Africa, central Chile, the coastal areas of southern Western Australia and western South Australia

for example a Arizona or Texas car may have very dried up interior material due to the heat.. East coast car may have more rust issues because of the winter condition and generally more humid climate.

Oh.. Also California had cleaner running gasoline earlier than other states..When Nikasil is a issue.. California V8's are suppose to be OK if the Nikasil block is still in a California car.

Bill R.
09-27-2006, 12:04 AM
540 with the nikasil block, the cal. car has had a diet of low sulfur gas only its entire life, that can't be said for nikasil elsewhere. On the newer cars the emissions warranty is longer on cal. cars due to california's stiffer requirements on emssions and maintenance. If i were shopping around Cal. is definitely my top choice for cars. The additional emissions equiptment is minimal in most cases.

when a seller list it as a "California Car" it is because California tend to have a great climate for keeping cars.. it isnt too hot.. not much rain and it doesnt snow.. There tend to be minimal rust issues with california cars. Its a good thing. Very few area on the globe has the climate of So cal..which is classified as Mediterranean Climate.

Mediterranean climate include much of California between Cape Mendocino and greater Los Angeles, the Western Cape in South Africa, central Chile, the coastal areas of southern Western Australia and western South Australia

for example a Arizona or Texas car may have very dried up interior material due to the heat.. East coast car may have more rust issues because of the winter condition and generally more humid climate.

shragon
09-27-2006, 01:40 AM

Oh.. Also California had cleaner running gasoline earlier than other states..When Nikasil is a issue.. California V8's are suppose to be OK if the Nikasil block is still in a California car.
good reply. :)

hatched91
09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
yes, the car was originally from california. i guess i'll have to keep the e34 for awhile longer until i can find a 540i/6spd, 150k miles give or take around $10k with black interior.