PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on Spring Sets

NightWatcher
09-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Hello Folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my springs next...Was wondering if you guys can offer some advice on what you guys would put on your own E34's...My choices are Racing Dynamics, Eibach, or H&R...I have a 1992 525i E34/M50...If anyone has any of the springs installed already, can you give your input as well? Appreciate guys!

NW

Evan
09-25-2006, 11:23 PM
you're gonna get your balls busted for not searching before asking...

many owners are using all of those spring sets and they've written about them extensively. i use H&R and i'm happy with them.

NightWatcher
09-28-2006, 10:21 PM
hello evan,

thanks for the reply...yes, i did a search prior to posting in this section of the board for "spring sets" or "eibach" and there was just too much from the list to sniff through while at break at work...lol...sorry about the post...another question for your H&R...can i use my stock shocks with it, or do i need to change the shocks as well?

NW

PS. sorry...newbie on board :(

Evan
09-28-2006, 10:45 PM
you can use stock shocks... your front end will be lowered... they say 1.5 inches --- mine looks like 4'' --- l o w w w w wwww

Anton CH.
09-29-2006, 12:32 AM
You don't want to use stock shocks with aftermarket springs. They are probably blown anyway and if they are not you'll just wear them out too quick. Just do it right the first time so you don't have to go back with the spring compressor.

Robin-535im
09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
I've had RD and H&R and would recommend the H&R over the two.

Racing Dynamics were pretty low and not quite stiff enough for my taste. The H&R's are a little closer to stock (maybe 3/4" drop vs. about twice that for the RD's)

Adjustable Koni's and H&R are a good combo, though there are probably many good combo's out there. I've got very little dive under braking and decent turn in with the Koni's at 1/2 stiff.

Get some sways too, they make a HUGE difference. For those I recommend the RD Adjustable sways. Maximbello had some pics of Jeff N a few weeks ago and darn if it didn't look like the inside tire was off the ground from the RD sways.

Elekta
09-29-2006, 12:01 PM
It would be nice to see a spread sheet of suspension upgrades itemized by bodystyle, engine and transmission, and wheel size.

that way you could find your same car and look at the mods for it, and then read commentary about each one.

whose up for that? Regal?

Current config eg:

94 E34 touring
3.0 v8
5hp-18 (A5S 310Z)
Stock Springs w/ Bilstein sports upfront
LAD in rear
17" T-stars

Then see what mod's others with the same config have chosen.

In my case, I am looking to keep same ride with just a visual mod of decreasing the gap. maybe reduce body roll, but no harsh ride desired.

So, what would be a recommendation for me?

I'll hang up and listen

E34 530
09-29-2006, 12:33 PM
I have the eibach pro-kit with bilstein sports and I'm liking the combination so far.

Qube
09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Hmmm a good e34 wiki... anyway, definitely search. There is a wealth of info.

Evan
09-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Many people... probably 20-30 use Bilsteins with H&R or Eibach springs...

I use KYB/H&R and I'm very happy... shocks and springs cost me $500 shipped

I did the install myself so i can give you a lot of help if you choose to do it yourself

Brandon J
09-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Hello Folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my springs next...Was wondering if you guys can offer some advice on what you guys would put on your own E34's...My choices are Racing Dynamics, Eibach, or H&R...I have a 1992 525i E34/M50...If anyone has any of the springs installed already, can you give your input as well? Appreciate guys!

NW

Hey Nightwatcher,

Please tell us more about how you drive, what you want in the end, how you will be using your e34, anyone else riding in it, other upgrades you plan to do, wheels you plan to get later, and any additional information that can help us get a colorful idea of your needs and wants.

There are many combinations out there. I have a whole suspension set-up that works well and balanced. While any upgrade will improve handling, it is cost effective to plan plan plan. There aren't many complaint issues with Sachs Sporting combo. Then there are many variations with other spring/shock combos and as well as using different wheels/tires, different swaybars, and if you ever decide to use camber plates.

One thing I can comment is that I do have a cmplete suspension where all my components were selected in different stages to compliment each other. It rides extremely well, handles amazing, and is very very controlled. I have had this combo for several years. I did have RD springs before, I have driven and installed H&Rs, Dinan, Eibach, Sachs kit, & RD springs. I have also installed Bilstein regular, Bilsteing Touring, Bilsteing Sport, Sachs kit, Konis,and Boge shocks. I have personally seen the handling characteristics of all these.

So, please fill us in so that we know how you like your coffee prepared....hehe.

NightWatcher
10-28-2006, 03:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of your input...sorry about the delay in responce...it's been a hectic month filled with family emergencies and my grandmother passing...

Anyhow, I'm back for more knowledge... :)

Brandon J...Here's what I've done so far and what I plan to do:

Performance (Completed):
1.) installed dinan chip
2.) Racing Dynamics (Electrodyne <--SP?)) air intake...would have gone with a cold air, but I couldn't find one for my 92.
-just got my windows tinted and installed viper 791xv alarm

Performance (Unfilled):
1.) Spring Set=Probably Eibach
2.) Shocks=Probably Koni
3.) Rims=18"
4.) Swaybar=RD
5.) High Flow Throttle Body=Dinan
6.) Exhaust=MagnaFlow

I'm also planning on restoring my seats and upholstery, repaint exterior, and also some replacements of a few small things (ie. hood and trunk shocks, headlight housings, etc.). I purchased my car for $2500, and she still runs smooth with close to 205K miles. I basically want to improve its performance, restore the interior, and make it look somewhat agressive on the outside. and since I bought the car for cheap, I'm willing to spend about 5-6K improving it...hopefully by the time I'm done with everything I want to do to it, it'll still come out on top as compared to buying a brand new car. That's what I'm hoping at least...heh...

I definitely appreciate everyone's advice...keep them coming if possible...thanks again!

NW

PS. I'll upload some

BillionPa
10-28-2006, 03:51 AM
for swaybars, go with the Whiteline set, as they are very well made, and dont have any of the "what the hell am i gonna get" feeling when ordering racing dynamics stuff. they should also be cheaper than RD.

$400 for a front and rear adjustable set, bushings included, 27mm/20mm.

eibach/koni if you got the $ is probably the best setup. make sure you get shock mounts and new bolts all around, as the old ones are worn to hell and rusty.

you might as well get upper control arms with M5 bushings and E31 lower control arms while you are messing around down there.

is your car an auto or manual?

you have any thoughts on brake system upgrades?

limited slip diff?

after upgrading the swaybars, you tend to notice body flexing more. invest in a tower brace.

do a search on urethane filled subframe mounts.

NightWatcher
10-28-2006, 04:25 AM
Hello BillionPA,

I'll have a look at Whiteline...As for the brake system, what would you recommend? Any recommendation in particular with a tower brace? Thanks!

BillionPa
10-28-2006, 11:27 PM
cosmo seems to have the best one out

your rear rotors and calipers should be ok, but if they are rusting to hell get rebuild calipers. i also bought new trailing arm brake pipes as those were rusted to hell too.

for the front, 540 or M5 caliper/carrier/rotor sets are very nice for not much money at all.

Brandon J
10-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Refresh and upgrade where you can. There is some good advice here about looking into upgrading and changing dated components. They all contribute to a well balanced and blueprinted suspension. Look into new mounts front and rear, thrust arms, lower control arms, rear subframe bushings, pitman arms/dogbones, front swaybar links, rubber spring pads at all four corners, and also steering components as they have balljoints.

The Sachs is a real good matched kit. It also has 2 height settings in the rear. If you get Konis, do check them that they are evenly matched and not broken. If you find it not working properly, then return/exchange. Eibachs are good as well as Dinan. H&Rs are also good. I would stay with the Eibachs or better yet the Dinan springs as you plan on using 18in rims. Tire selection is very important with the 18s as they can give a very harsh ride with the e34. Michelin tires are developed with the euro sedan in mind. Dunlops also are good tires with the 18s.

Any selection of aftermarket swaybars out there are good as long as they have adjustability. You will have to lube up the poly bushings once or twice a year. They will squeak if you don't. Dinan uses rubber bushings that don't need to be lubed, but flex a little more. I think it is a great option for street e34s even if tracked a few times a year. Also look into camber plates. You can get away with a less firm suspension without sacraficing performance if you work with the geometry. Get fixed ones. If you add poly upper bushings as used in the adjustable camber plates, they will again make your ride harsher and add that to the 18in rims. Increased size rims means more weight. So, get upgraded brakes. Either change pads and rotors to ones with more friction or upgrade to bigger brakes. E31 and M5 front brakes are good upgrades, but you will have to be patient in searching to snap a set when one pops up. If you do get the e31 or M5 front brakes, you should add the M5/540i rear brakes to balance.

There are a bunch of places that can bore throttle bodies well and for much cheaper than Dinan. Nothing too special as machine places get a lot of experience doing other american muscle cars. They are just as good.

Magnaflow exhausts are cheap but don't have the sweet resonating sound that works well with the euro cars. You really can't go wrong with a known brand name that BMW owners use. If you still plan on using another exhuast brand, then install a new center resonator and then the aftermarket rear muffler.

Good Luck!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of your input...sorry about the delay in responce...it's been a hectic month filled with family emergencies and my grandmother passing...

Anyhow, I'm back for more knowledge... :)

Brandon J...Here's what I've done so far and what I plan to do:

Performance (Completed):
1.) installed dinan chip
2.) Racing Dynamics (Electrodyne <--SP?)) air intake...would have gone with a cold air, but I couldn't find one for my 92.
-just got my windows tinted and installed viper 791xv alarm

Performance (Unfilled):
1.) Spring Set=Probably Eibach
2.) Shocks=Probably Koni
3.) Rims=18"
4.) Swaybar=RD
5.) High Flow Throttle Body=Dinan
6.) Exhaust=MagnaFlow

I'm also planning on restoring my seats and upholstery, repaint exterior, and also some replacements of a few small things (ie. hood and trunk shocks, headlight housings, etc.). I purchased my car for $2500, and she still runs smooth with close to 205K miles. I basically want to improve its performance, restore the interior, and make it look somewhat agressive on the outside. and since I bought the car for cheap, I'm willing to spend about 5-6K improving it...hopefully by the time I'm done with everything I want to do to it, it'll still come out on top as compared to buying a brand new car. That's what I'm hoping at least...heh...

I definitely appreciate everyone's advice...keep them coming if possible...thanks again!

NW

PS. I'll upload some