PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre panel console

shogun
09-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Someone on BB replaced it, pic and link to the source here
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/256151

winfred
09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
as long as it's not cracked badly the wood ones pollish up real good, heres the one in my old 535
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/wood.JPG
rotary buffer, wool buff and the same compound you use in the last couple stages of buffing paint

NovceGuru
09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
I bought weave and resin to do that to mine, since it was cracked in about 5 places and peeling. I then decided that it would look out of place if I simple did that (and kinda rice, but looks good there) So anybody parting out and has a gear selector like the one above let me know ;) (need the ribbed thing and all)

winfred
09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
51 16 1 938 352, AT Selector Bezel $5.50 at the dealer, when you slide it in spray it with some silicone and it will move better after you install it and while installing it

(need the ribbed thing and all)

The Bigfella
09-25-2006, 11:58 PM
that wasn't CF - that was stick-on plastic film

Jon K
09-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I work with the real stuff

http://e34.digital7.com/MegaSquirt/cf1.jpg

genuine CF weave. It's $ though.

BMW 5 SERIES
09-26-2006, 04:20 AM
I have already install cf trim to my car

Michael999
09-26-2006, 05:32 AM
How did you cure that CF?

just air dried with epoxy, or did you heat cure it?

Qube
09-26-2006, 06:31 AM
I have already install cf trim to my car

Except yours looks very much like a vinyl sticker... there isn't any depth to it :(

The Bigfella
09-26-2006, 06:43 AM
If you want to do it for the reason carbon fibre was developed - strength with little weight - you need to vacuum bag it. My shipwright mate is a whiz with it, but I have little interest in it for either my car or my boat (the boat weighs 25 tons). I have thought about making a cover for the plug leads (3.6 engine) out of it.

Ian

Booster
09-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I work with Vacuum Infusion CF each week. Its the only way to control tight tolerance parts and make them nearly as strong as an autoclaved part which is made with added pressure as well as Vacuum and heat.
I've been trying to get ahold of a full set of Wood trims to build molds from them so we can have properly made replacement parts......but I never seem to get much help and or can't find a full set to donate.
A TRUE molded part in Vac. Infusion will yield the best look and part that will endure the UV rays and cabin temps.It will also look factory installed when done, which is after all...what each of the interested parties wants,right ?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/vinceinator/aabd1ad2.jpg

Vinny:D

Jon K
09-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I work with Vacuum Infusion CF each week. Its the only way to control tight tolerance parts and make them nearly as strong as an autoclaved part which is made with added pressure as well as Vacuum and heat.
I've been trying to get ahold of a full set of Wood trims to build molds from them so we can have properly made replacement parts......but I never seem to get much help and or can't find a full set to donate.
A TRUE molded part in Vac. Infusion will yield the best look and part that will endure the UV rays and cabin temps.It will also look factory installed when done, which is after all...what each of the interested parties wants,right ?

Hmm - I may be PMing you soon.

Booster
09-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Hmm - I may be PMing you soon.

After looking at what the other guy has done with a flat sheet stock....it should be apparent how much better the part would have looked with rolled edges ? Things look cheapened in my opinion, when not engineered and thought through...IMHO,anyway.
Hollar at me Jon.
.............Vinny:)

Yaninnya
09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
I work with Vacuum Infusion CF each week.
Any chances that I will sent you my panels and you prepare for me CF? The problem is that my is RHD.
Cheers,
Jan

Booster
09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm. I would think that the majority of the parts will be the same shapes.....unless they angle differntly ? I have yet to study them for plugs closely yet.
Anyone know this ?
...........Vinny

Yaninnya
09-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm. I would think that the majority of the parts will be the same shapes.....unless they angle differntly ? I have yet to study them for plugs closely yet.
Anyone know this ?
Only door panels are the same in RHD.
Jan

Booster
09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Only door panels are the same in RHD.
Jan
Well....that certainly makes sense. I would rather work on a set of molds first that will enhance my own car as well as immediate buds locally. But later on, I'm certainly not against doing some Euro trim molds as well !:D
It does require quite abit of time to re-engineer the parts to molded...then make the molds from the altered original plugs.I hope you understand and take no offense.
I'd love to begin the process though through the Winter months so as to have products available next Spring.
Any full sets of wood trim out there going to waste ??
Vinny:)

Yaninnya
09-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Well....that certainly makes sense. I would rather work on a set of molds first that will enhance my own car as well as immediate buds locally. But later on, I'm certainly not against doing some Euro trim molds as well !:D
It does require quite abit of time to re-engineer the parts to molded...then make the molds from the altered original plugs.I hope you understand and take no offense.
I'd love to begin the process though through the Winter months so as to have products available next Spring.
Sounds perfect for me. So I will find set of RHD panels than I will sent it to you and most probably early summer next year you will make CF ones? Have it any sense for you? What will be estimate cost of CF set?
Cheers,
Jan

Booster
09-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Sounds perfect for me. So I will find set of RHD panels than I will sent it to you and most probably early summer next year you will make CF ones? Have it any sense for you? What will be estimate cost of CF set?
Cheers,
Jan

That would be fine. But I really want to begin on a set of LHD first if possible.The RHD versions would be after that.One must remember....this is about 10-12 pieces to make molds from.Only four parts cross reference.
Anyone with a set of RHD wood trims ??The finish need not be perfect as I'll most likely have to refinish them anyway to be perfect as a plug.
Vinny

Evan
09-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I love it.. especially on the door panels.

Don't pay any mind to Qube... he's about to be castrated (Where is that ticker, Qube?)

Wes F
09-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure I like the look of CF in these cars. I do however, LOVE the look of gray stained wood on black or gray interior. I've been looking around forever to find a set that's not the cheap stick on crap, but actual wood. I've seen late euro M5's with dark gray wood, but nothing ever in the states. Must've been a euro-only option.

VentoGT
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM

I would pay good good money for a proper CF interior molded from original parts. I have an M5, and thus, have no Trim pieces in my car, but I would pay really good money for the CF pieces. Please keep us abridged of how this goes...there are tons and tons of cars out there with wood trim in $hit shape, so I would think you could even find one at a junkyard.

Booster
09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure I like the look of CF in these cars. I do however, LOVE the look of gray stained wood on black or gray interior. I've been looking around forever to find a set that's not the cheap stick on crap, but actual wood. I've seen late euro M5's with dark gray wood, but nothing ever in the states. Must've been a euro-only option.

Oh ,I know...I've seen that grey tinted grain and it is sexy in the right interior.Very nice looking IMHO.
I think the problem with most of the CF items out there is that they are cheeesily done to begin with and look "stuck on" and flat.
Done properly with great fit and finish and they will look correct. Some of the new hybrid blend CF/kevlar hues will help in that dept.
But like all things.....its not for everyone.If I had a tan interior..I'd want ligtht knotty burlwood. If I had a dark grey interior...I'd want the grey tinted wood or blk/grey CF...If I had a light grey interior...I'd want silver CF or blk/grey CF or grey wood.....so on and so forth.:)
My personal car is blk/blk with ACS mods throughout, so I can be abit more daring and pull the theme off cleanly.
I just love tasty mods and fabricating to death !:D
Its been my life......for so long.
...........Vinny

Yaninnya
09-27-2006, 01:10 PM
That would be fine. But I really want to begin on a set of LHD first if possible.The RHD versions would be after that.One must remember....this is about 10-12 pieces to make molds from.Only four parts cross reference.
Yes I know that. But anyway I'm start to looking for set of wooden panels.
Jan