PDA

View Full Version : 535 LSD into 525i

Anton CH.
09-24-2006, 10:42 PM
In my area a 535 is being parted out with an LSD. Can I take the LSD unit, take it to some place to get the clutches rebuilt, and install it into my diff?

I don't want to change the gearing ratio. Also, how much would it cost just to rebuild the clutches?

Derek A.
09-25-2006, 06:00 AM
at 200,000 miles my clutches are still working ok. You are going to have to swap outpit shafts as the 535 and 525i use different half shafts, maybe input shaft to.

632 Regal
09-25-2006, 08:59 AM
it will bolt in and as Derek says the flanges will have to be swapped. If the input has to be swapped you will want to read this about it:
http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/rearend.html
you dont want to be swapping gears around though so make sure it is a ratio you want, which I doubt is even close between the 2 cars.

Anton CH.
09-25-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't think I will be able to find a 525i with an LSD. I think it was a 535 thing. Is swapping gears such a PITA? B/C I like my gas mileage to be high.

I read that replacing clutches is expensive. So far my options are just to keep on buying used ones and run until they wear out or buy a quaife unit. Sadly, quaife seems like the cheapest solution so far (in the long run).

632 Regal
09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
the swapping gear thing sux because you will have to re-shim both the ring gear and the pinion. The pinions shim is pressed between the pinion gear and bearing. once you do this it's a whole new can of worms. I doubt you will get fried clutches, whats the necessity of a LSD anyways?

I don't think I will be able to find a 525i with an LSD. I think it was a 535 thing. Is swapping gears such a PITA? B/C I like my gas mileage to be high.

I read that replacing clutches is expensive. So far my options are just to keep on buying used ones and run until they wear out or buy a quaife unit. Sadly, quaife seems like the cheapest solution so far (in the long run).

ryan roopnarine
09-25-2006, 12:58 PM
autotrans 525i's with "winter" packages have them. my auto 525i has a 4.10 lsd, which might be too much for your manual transmission.

Anton CH.
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
El turbo doesn't do much good without an LSD. Heck, even with engine stock the open diff. is horrible-I can't get any power out of corners.
So if I get a diff. out of a car w/ 130k mi, driven normally. What kind of lockup do you think is left? To install the quaife do I need to shim it as well?

I'll keep an eye out for a 525i with this "winter" package you speak of in Cali.

632 Regal
09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
might need to expand on other horizons:

I'll keep an eye out for a 525i with this "winter" package you speak of in Cali. My LSD as I was driving up my driveway one tire was on ice and it just spun til i gave it a little gas then "wham" the LSD kicked in. was too locky actually after I burned the varnish off the clutches and had to add an additive. Without the additive I thought I was going to bust the CV joints off the axles. I cant break either tire loose on whatever surface now.