PDA

View Full Version : '95 Touring- Sachs lowering kit removal question:

Rob Edwards
09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
3 years and 23,000 miles ago I installed a Sachs sport suspension kit on my '95 525iT. It had 96K miles on it at the time and now is up to 119K. It definitely lowered the car, and decreasing radius offramps are a lot more fun. HOWEVER- the ride quality took a big hit. I'm officially getting old, because I think it's time to put the original springs back in.

So-
Question: I tossed the original shocks because they were old and tired, but kept the springs. Do I buy new KYB or Boges all around and install them with the old springs, or can I use the shocks that come with the Sachs kit? A search seems to indicate that the shocks in the Sachs lowering kit are Boge turbo gas-
Does anyone know whether there are significant differences in the valving between OEM Boges and the Boge turbo gas? My only concern is that there might be a bad mismatch between turbo gas shocks with 23K miles, paired with OEM springs with 96K miles on them. My guess is that it doesn't matter too much for gentle round-town driving, I just need a smoother ride again. I recently bought a 928 GT for the offramps......:D

https://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/public/Touring%20side%20shot%2072%20dpi.jpg

SC David
09-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Sticking with the Boge TG's will probably retain some of that firmness your used to since they are stiffer, but with the softer and longer stock springs you will regain the height and have a little less jolting ride. If you want to go back to the stock feel, I would get stock replacement KYB's or OEM Boge's.

Rob Edwards
09-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks, David- I'm really torn on spending the cash for new shocks so as to be 'stock' again, vs. just changing out the springs. Perhaps I'll try it with the turbo gas shocks and see what it's like. The roads are pretty good around here (with the exception of the 5 freeway- at 80 mph the concrete seams create a resonance that shakes the whole dash....

stx133
09-25-2006, 02:07 AM
just change the springs, the ride will be slightly firmer than OEM but you will have the ride height and a reasonable compromise at 0 cost.