PDA

View Full Version : What Coolant Is In Your BMW?

Fetch
09-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Thought I'd make a poll to see what coolant people are running since there's been a lot of coolant talk going on recently.

If you use a blue equivalent, mark blue, if you use something like Evan's NPG waterless coolant or whatever, then mark other.......

:)

calmloki
09-24-2006, 12:22 PM
G05

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-24-2006, 06:21 PM
had green in them or what appeared to be a mix of green and blue.

I always flush and refill with my favorite flavor bavarian blue coolaide so I have one less thing to worry about.

genphreak
09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
This is not as simple as colour.

Some Greens (there are many) are downright dangerous in our engines as they are high in phosphates. BMW are not the only people that make aluminium engines/components and mix them with other stuff. A lot of manufacturers spec/make blocks and castings themselves so the variance is really the composition of the castings and how the corrosive and cooling properties of the coolant are balanced to suit. This is why a coolant that is 'OK' to use in one alloy engine is not OK in another. And the definition of OK varies I suspect also. The Germans have obviously gone to a lot of trouble testing theirs, let alone developing their own standard product, so why anyone would want to use something else (apart from availability) in a car designed for that I can't imagine.

The question really is who is using a friendly coolant and who is using the factory Glysantin (G48, blue), as opposed to who is using some drop-in and don't know whether is harmful or not. Either way, there are no studies done on other coolants that will tell you (in all conditions) that they are not harmful or even suitable to your model so the issue is surely moot- saving $10 but risking corrosion/cludging (esp. without the engineering tests to know what's what) seems somewhat foolish.

I'd hate to try and explain why its green, purple or whatever in there instead of a nice shade of cool blue... I wonder if the BMW car club judges frown on people that have different coloured expansion tanks when they are showing their cars? :D Does anyone even have tanks that aren't blue at a BMW CCA show and shine??

Bill R.
09-24-2006, 06:58 PM
by Zerex here in the US for distribution in the US. The GO5 is a very light yellow almost clear also produced by zerex , used in Mercedes, Ford and Dodge/chrysler

This is not as simple as colour.

Some Greens (there are many) are downright dangerous in our engines as they are high in phosphates. BMW are not the only people that make aluminium engines/components and mix them with other stuff. A lot of manufacturers spec/make blocks and castings themselves so the variance is really the composition of the castings and how the corrosive and cooling properties of the coolant are balanced to suit. This is why a coolant that is 'OK' to use in one alloy engine is not OK in another. And the definition of OK varies I suspect also. The Germans have obviously gone to a lot of trouble testing theirs, let alone developing their own standard product, so why anyone would want to use something else (apart from availability) in a car designed for that I can't imagine.

The question really is who is using a friendly coolant and who is using the factory Glysantin (G05, blue), as opposed to who is using some drop-in and don't know whether is harmful or not. Either way, there are no studies done on other coolants that will tell you (in all conditions) that they are not harmful or even suitable to your model so the issue is surely moot- saving $10 but risking corrosion/cludging (esp. without the engineering tests to know what's what) seems somewhat foolish.

I'd hate to try and explain why its green, purple or whatever in there instead of a nice shade of cool blue... I wonder if the BMW car club judges frown on people that have different coloured expansion tanks when they are showing their cars? :D Does anyone even have tanks that aren't blue at a BMW CCA show and shine??

Macv
09-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Mine came kinda purple.....

good poll.

DanDombrowski
09-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Sporting the G05 in the E34, pretty sure I've got the blue stuff in my E46.

genphreak
09-24-2006, 07:41 PM
by Zerex here in the US for distribution in the US. The GO5 is a very light yellow almost clear also produced by zerex , used in Mercedes, Ford and Dodge/chryslerThanks Bill, again... I've never seen it. I'll update my post... :(

winfred
09-24-2006, 07:54 PM
i spank off in mine http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/icon_jerkoff.gif sorta like evans :D

Qube
09-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Well I guess the key there is... are there SAFE greens... whether or not they are endorsed by BMW to use?

genphreak
09-24-2006, 09:02 PM
i spank off in mine http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/icon_jerkoff.gif sorta like evans :DLike Evan's? Hmmm a cloudy mix is normally a bad sign. I guess not in your case Winfred... increases cold-weather protection perhaps?

Rob Edwards
09-24-2006, 11:53 PM
BMW blue.

Espen
09-25-2006, 12:59 AM
I went to the dealer when i bought coolant last, they gave me a red Castrol coolant, I asked after the Bmw cool blue, but he said this red castrol is the only coolant they used there.

stx133
09-25-2006, 02:08 AM
in aus we have green or red, where does the blue come into it.

Paul in NZ
09-25-2006, 04:18 AM
mine has green and the iny i go to puts in green,whatever you use make sure its always less than two years old.

genphreak
09-25-2006, 07:10 AM
in aus we have green or red, where does the blue come into it.We do?

I used a red Toyota compatible replacement from a parts place in my gf's mum's Toyota, but after the worries I've learned about it will be going back to dealer-supplied concentrate at the end of the year. (I've decided to trust it for 12 months). My Bimmer however is staying Blue now . After having seen inside it I got it, now I will only accept the factory -level protection for my baby. I don't like replacing things unecessarily. :) Nick

rob101
09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
We do?

I used a red Toyota compatible replacement from a parts place in my gf's mum's Toyota, but after the worries I've learned about it will be going back to dealer-supplied concentrate at the end of the year. (I've decided to trust it for 12 months). My Bimmer however is staying Blue now . After having seen inside it I got it, now I will only accept the factory -level protection for my baby. I don't like replacing things unecessarily. :) Nick
green + red = blobs
isn't red the organic as opposed to ethylene glycol based coolant which is green/blue

Qube
09-25-2006, 04:25 PM
green + red = blobs
isn't red the organic as opposed to ethylene glycol based coolant which is green/blue

No kidding. I did this in my old MKIII Golf and it slowly turned brown... though not blobby ;)

bfd
09-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Since SAAB blue stuff, they also have an orange, is the same Valvoline Zerex G-48 as BMW, at least here in the U.S., and being that it is 50 to 60% Cheaper, that's what I will be at my next coolant change!

SnakeyesTx
09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Well, since this thread got more replies than mine that probably brought about this poll in the first place. I called the dealer today and spoke to the service manager and his shop foreman. Both gave me the same answer. Prestone's green coolant is phosphate free and something else free, and is safe to use in an M50. They also mentioned to do the standard coolant flush service every two years like the manual says. I wanted a reason to take back the green stuff for blue, but at twice the cost, and with the same chemical make up more or less, it's not worth it. The dealer uses the green stuff in M50's, so obviously we can too.

The Blue stuff they said was definitely what they use on the M60 and M62's though.

genphreak
09-25-2006, 08:36 PM
green + red = blobs
isn't red the organic as opposed to ethylene glycol based coolant which is green/blueI've never mixed red and green Rob, but yes I imagine the result would be more exciting than an off shade of purple. Its interesting how many people hare reporting a purple colour (eeeeuuwww!) in thier Bimmer in this poll... although they are probably referring to Zerex (ie yellow)

genphreak
09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Well, since this thread got more replies than mine that probably brought about this poll in the first place. I called the dealer today and spoke to the service manager and his shop foreman. Both gave me the same answer. Prestone's green coolant is phosphate free and something else free, and is safe to use in an M50. They also mentioned to do the standard coolant flush service every two years like the manual says. I wanted a reason to take back the green stuff for blue, but at twice the cost, and with the same chemical make up more or less, it's not worth it. The dealer uses the green stuff in M50's, so obviously we can too.

The Blue stuff they said was definitely what they use on the M60 and M62's though.Thanks, that's interesting. I'm sure you'll be OK then, especilaly given what Bill R says. However I do wonder who told them its OK to use Prestone green (whatever grade/type it is), the accountant, the service manager... it sure as hell wouldn't have been BMW or BEHR... given our debate here it'd be interesting to know why these people might chose that something is worth the change. Surely for a dealer it'd be easier to go with Blue on all- surely they don't pay too much for it, and explaining to a customer why they have changed the coolant colour is surely something they'd rather avoid given the bad words going around about green coolants.

Fetch
09-25-2006, 08:50 PM
I've been quiet in this thread, but I'm really interested with all the posts & votes.

Since it's such an 'informal' poll, it is my conclusion that most of us aquire our cars with some form of green coolant, and then change it to BMW spec blue coolant under our ownership!

genphreak
09-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Yes its a good poll. Not surprising that a lot of Green is in use- although I expect a lot of Green reports are Blue with a litre or two of Green (which makes it perhaps less intense shade of green), due to an owner adding it at a gas station where there is no choice other than water (which would be better).

The poll shows that a lot of people, including dealers, are choosing to save money and ignore/disrespect BMW's advice. It may be semmantic as for sure some think it makes no difference. Some believe they know better. Surely most don't care.

Certainly by the time a Bimmer is on its way to 15 years it would be facing a serious downgrade in the level of care inflicted by uncaring owners and mechanics.

Of course this is mostly due to the low availability of G48 in markets (gas stations, auto parts suppliers, etc.) outside Europe.

What do you peeps think?

Atl530i
09-25-2006, 09:43 PM
BMW blue after doing a complete cooling system overhaul. It was green and changed every 18 months though.

bill g
09-26-2006, 03:25 AM
For any Aussies who are interested -

After research on available coolants I have been using Nulon Longlife Concentrate (green) which is readily available here and considerably cheaper than BMW coolant, although more expensive than many of the green coolants on the market.
It is an ethylene glycol low silicate formulation which seems to me to have the right characteristics - contains no nitrites, phosphates or amines.
Label on container states it is suitable for use where BMW (UK) specifications are cited.
I use a 40% concentrate/60% water mix. No ill effects after 3 years of use (I know, too early to tell).

Link to tech info -
http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productId=ll

Bill G Melbourne

genphreak
09-26-2006, 07:26 AM
I wish I knew how Nulon developed their products, they seem (to me) not to disclose their level of expertise in the area very well. I still can't quite establish them as a decent crew. They are not a major R&D company (branding might be more their strength). Some I know argue that they have been selling dodgey additives as automotive panaceas to consumers for years. I do know that in the industry they have won many freinds as well as many enemies, but I don't profess to know if their **** works or not. Their marketing makes it plain that the products work for the battlers and the racers (but this is often sponsorship buying profile).

But for sure the devil is in the detail on this one: Like most in the field, they pay a testing agency to test the product (wherever it comes from) to see if it meets minimum standards (in this case outlined in AS2108 (http://www.standards.com.au/PDFTemp/Previews/OSH/as/as2000/2100/2108-2004.pdf)). However they only substantiate their claims with these documents, which are very generic specs that a bunch of Aussie boffins come up with, usually to suit the minimum requirements of their employers and stakeholders (ie the Aussie auto industry). They usually reference US and/or British specs, and I believe AS2108 met the spec of the British one.

What swung me away from the product when I considered using it in my E28 was a little nag wondering if they would be accountable should it create a problem (in fact would I even know it was the products fault as the car was old). When I searched for info about it there was real lack of anything from Nulon or others (bloody manufacturers ignoring us again!!). The back of the pack was pretty much all I could find to go on, except for the Australian Standard of course. Apart from pissing me off, I figured that the reason for this lack of info may be more than slack marketing. Regardless I wondered if a PR person was actually responsible for the reference to the BMW UK spec simply because they saw a note describing BMW documentation in the English standard. Any such person can leap to thihnk that therefore the Aussie one was also covered adn be completely wrong.

Exactly what that note was, which models it relates to and how this flows through to the product's capabilities or even the Aussie standard they omit to say. Check Nulon's website on this and it is probably as inconclusive now as it was then: Then their website wasn't even Open Standards compliant so I was became happy with my choice to not use their product in my car (call me a geek but this was often a good indicator back then).

Despite all my cynicism for poor old Nulon's efforts to make a coolant that mentioned BMW on the pack it was at least clear that BMW had no skin in it. I guess I decided that for the sake of an extra $20 every 2 years I wouldn't risk it. Sad about it though, it could be just great... probably is even! Who bloody knows... but you'd think if they did any more relevant and impressive tests that they'd actually say so and publish them.

Kobe Diesel
09-26-2006, 09:53 AM
What about Pentosin, G12? pink stuff? I know the Audi enthusiasts use this coolant.

632 Regal
09-26-2006, 10:27 AM
thud thud thud...
What about Pentosin, G12? pink stuff? I know the Audi enthusiasts use this coolant.