PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish acceleration

spiritusuk
09-24-2006, 05:13 AM
I have a '93 E34 but have been having problems lately.

When on the motorway (freeway) the acceleration is sometimes very sluggish, I can almost feel something at the back of the car holding it back.

It seems that it happens mostly going uphill (even a mild incline causes it). Having said that, once the car experiences this then even when I am on flat ground it still shows some sluggishness for a while after.

After my trip I can smell what I an only describe as "hot metal" coming from the rear underside of the car.

I don't notice any problems driving around town (upto 50mpg for example).

Does anyone have any idea what this could be ? Fuel filter ? Injection problems ? And is it likely to be expensive?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

bagpuss
09-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Sounds more mechanical the way you describe it with the smell etc. Perhaps brake binding or gearbox if its auto ?

Morgenster
09-24-2006, 08:33 AM
What about a slipping clutch? And how does one diagnose it?

bagpuss
09-24-2006, 09:49 AM
If it acts as if you've got your foot half on the clutch then its a slipping clutch.

Qube
09-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Please fill out your profile so we can better assist. For all I know, you could be driving a 518 slushbox and it's normal ;)

spiritusuk
09-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Please fill out your profile so we can better assist. For all I know, you could be driving a 518 slushbox and it's normal ;)

Well it is a 518 actually :) but I've never had this problem before.

It's a manual gearbox so not sure this could be the problem.

bagpuss
09-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Well it is a 518 actually :)

That'll be it then, lol, just kidding, try tracing the smell (and accompanying heat ?) and you'll have your answer.......

spiritusuk
10-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I've just noticed a burning rubber smell coming from the location of the exhaust. At first I thought it was the rear passenger tyre but I doubt it now.

Combined with the acceleration problems and this smell does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks

pundit
10-03-2006, 05:27 PM
...I don't notice any problems driving around town (upto 50mpg for example)...
Have you entered your car in the Guiness Book of Records E34 fuel economy awards?... or maybe you should just get your OBC recalibrated? ;)

DaveVoorhis
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I've just noticed a burning rubber smell coming from the location of the exhaust. At first I thought it was the rear passenger tyre but I doubt it now.
Does it have a catalytic converter? Maybe it's failed and plugging the exhaust.

Or maybe someone's stuffed something into the tailpipe.

Visions
10-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Brake calibers locking up... metal rubber smell... you have no power because the brakes are on... it will warp your rotors too...

It may not happen all the time...

If you let your foot off the gas and the car quickly slows the brakes are most likely on...

Also will slow acceleration...

One symtom of brake calibers going bad is when you are sitting still and you release your brake pedal you get a jerking instead of a smooth release and also a quick grab with this bouncing affect in stop and go traffic

Another symptom is vibration while driving if they lock up hard enough

Something to check out....

Cavs
10-05-2006, 02:05 AM
It could be the calipers sticking as the guy above me said and it could also be that the handbrake is sticking on.

spiritusuk
10-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Well the garage have narrowed it down to either a blocked catalytic converter or a faulty air flow meter.

Will find out next week how much either one will cost me :(

Combined with the acceleration problems and this smell does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks

M Malaviya
10-14-2006, 12:25 PM
the usual suspects spring to mind - clutch, brakes binding, handbrake off?
Besides, remember its a 518i.....I rest my case.....