PDA

View Full Version : New motor... verifying coolant

SnakeyesTx
09-23-2006, 06:58 PM
I read the thread about the M60 and "blue coolant" and figured I better ask this before they drop my new motor and radiator in. The original engine was always serviced at the dealer it was bought from and had all its regular service intervals on time. As far as I can tell, even after the dealer replaced the water pump a few years back, that the coolant was green. I just brought 3 gallons of Prestone green coolant to the shop for my M50.

Question is, if that's what was in there on the old motor, is it safe to assume its what should be in there for the new one as well? I've never seen this "blue coolant" so I wanted to make sure, or if that was specific to the M60 from the other thread.

genphreak
09-23-2006, 07:05 PM
I read the thread about the M60 and "blue coolant" and figured I better ask this before they drop my new motor and radiator in. The original engine was always serviced at the dealer it was bought from and had all its regular service intervals on time. As far as I can tell, even after the dealer replaced the water pump a few years back, that the coolant was green. I just brought 3 gallons of Prestone green coolant to the shop for my M50.

Question is, if that's what was in there on the old motor, is it safe to assume its what should be in there for the new one as well? I've never seen this "blue coolant" so I wanted to make sure, or if that was specific to the M60 from the other thread.The answer is Blue. But...

Does 'Prestone' make only one green coolant?

If so, maybe someone can answer your question. I can only say other coolants are not reccomended by BMW so you must weigh the risk yourself. I'd use the Green in something less important and less expensive to fix.

SnakeyesTx
09-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Bump for confirmation?

Is everyone running Blue? :/ Is there a chemical difference or a viscosity issue or something more technical to explain why their blue is what has to be there?

winfred
09-24-2006, 10:33 AM
blue is the factory bmw coolent and according to some the only thing that keeps the engine from exploding into a supernova that destroys the world, bottom line green or blue change it every two years and your cooling system will live a long life, the only coolent i actively avoid is the dexcool orange **** chevy or whoever unleashed on the world, i actually don't really like the blue coolent as i've seen a ton of blue encrusted cars and am not sure of it's good effects on plastic

DaveVoorhis
09-24-2006, 10:33 AM
The colour is merely a dye. I tried, however, to follow exactly what the owner's handbook says:

"The cooling system is designed for filling with a long-life antrifreeze and corrosion inhibitor. No other additives should be used. To avoid possible subsequent damage, use only a factory-approved nitrite-free long-life antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor. BMW service stations are familiar with the approved grades."

Following that, I filled it once with stuff that was blue, once with green.

swenpro
09-24-2006, 11:22 AM
After dropping $600 to have my radiator replaced this last year, I finally switched to the blue coolant... more anti-corrosive properties must be good for something, right? Oh, yeah, and blue is everyone's favorite color.

GoldenOne
09-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Isnt the blue coolant BMW developed a purely organic liquid? I thought they developed that to try to fix the problem with the M60/M62 before they figured out it was sulfur messing up the blocks...