PDA

View Full Version : power windows retrofit gone bad

skr
09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine came over today with a trunk full of window motors and lifters and switches. His car had manual windows and i helped him retrofit the stuff. His car is a '89 520i. We pulled the door covers, center console, etc. Unriveted the old lifters, put the new electrical ones in, put in the wiering in the rear doors, as he didn't have it in. Damn doors had to come off!!! He had the rest of the wiering in place so we connected the main switch, cut the hole in the console , connected the fully up/down microswitches, rear door swithes. The buttons lit up with ignition but no power went to the motors.
We started looking arond, checked fuses, including F47 and the rest under the seat. we tried to jump 8 and 2 in X294 (thanks Javier) but still nothing. didn't pull the rm and gm coz it got dark. So we do this tommorow. I noticed that his RM had a "low" mark on it. So, can the RM not be compatible with power windows? When i did the exact same job on mine it worked without any trouble...
So, are there 2 types of RM? or GM? Can something not be connected round there from the factory? Something stuck from 18 years of inactivity?
Any ideas guys?

thanks

skr
09-24-2006, 08:03 AM
update. it appears that he doesn't have pin 8 under the k15 relay????? he only has 2,4,5,6. i guess he jumped 2 and 6. don't know for sure.
ok, so what do we do? maybe the wires that are supposed to go to the rest of the pins are there and not connected? i allso found 2 brown 2 pin connecters, one with a factory jump-wire in it. don't hnow what those are...
anyway, what do we do next???? any ideeas? heelp...

DaveVoorhis
09-24-2006, 08:20 AM
There are no magical shortcuts to solving electrical problems -- you've got to get intimate with your trusty voltmeter and a wiring diagram. Get your wiring diagrams here: http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/

skr
09-24-2006, 08:42 AM
thanks, i allready got the wiring diagrams, love the site and i hope you keep updating it when you start doing stuff on your 525 :)
was hoping that someone dealt with this allready, so i whouldn't have to get "intimate" with all those nice and colorfull wires... anyway it seams that i've found the rest of the 5 wires that are supposed to go to k15 , but they are going back into the loom. i din't figure out how to lift the rear power distribution box frame so i can expose the wiering under it...

skr
09-24-2006, 10:36 AM
anybody got the colour codes list?

skr
09-24-2006, 12:13 PM
ok, this is what i figured out so far. i don't have pin 8 in x294. pin 6 should be directly connected to pin 8 via a red/grey wire. when u get power across 4 and 8 the coil in the relay closes the switch in the relay between 2 and 6 and voila, power windows and sunroof. so, i'm gonna jumper 2 and 6 and see what happens. if it happens i'll run a wire from 6 to 8 and be done with it. if it doesn't, i'll shoot myself :)
any opinions?

632 Regal
09-24-2006, 12:23 PM
your almost in unventured territory, cant you look at your car to see what was done in comparison?

any opinions?

skr
09-24-2006, 12:43 PM
i'll open mine up tomorow, maybe swap gm, rm if nothing works. on mine i just mounted the stuff, connected everything and it worked. not sure if i have that "pin 8" but i guess i do. seams strange as both cars are '89, and were both kinda low in the "option chain" from the factory...

skr
09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
today after no luck at jumping the k15 relay we figured we should swap RM's.
so, we did, and what do you know, it actualy works!!!
at a closer examination the relay modules were diffrent. his said "rm-LOW" and mine said only "RM". realoem does not show 2 versions of rm, and the part number from 89 even matches a '94. so i find it realy strange that 2 cars both from '89 and both coming with manual windows from the factory have diffrent versions of relay module... so we wnt out and buyed him a RM from the wrekers, for an astonishing 15$, and this one works too

I guess the conclusions of this are:
-if you have a rm marked as low, you ain't running power windows or sunroof
-the existance of "pin8" of relay k15(PPR) does not affect the functionality of power-windows
-RM's are dirt cheap
-i need a beer
-thanks dave voorhis for the awesome diagrams