PDA

View Full Version : M42/M50 question

ArtemLepilov
09-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Hello, I have been looking around for a new car or awhile now - thinking whether to keep my old one or not, etc etc. I came across this little 318i from 1991 (which I think looked pretty sick) Now - I have my 525I, and I would be able to get this one for cheap - I will look at it on sunday.

Now for my question: Will the tranny bolt up to my engine?? - I have this weird idea in my head that it will from browsing around the internet... Since the M42 and the 5-speed that go with it are the same ones that are in the later E36 models 318i's, and those seem to have the same exact bolt pattern.

I am asking this because if all works well, I would like to create one of those E30s with the M50 engines in them (expecially since I have a complete engine in my posession - with EVERYTHING.

Please let me know (especially if you know for sure).

winfred
09-22-2006, 11:12 PM
it will bolt up fine, as for power handling i've seen supercharged m3 motors bolted into 318s to the stock tranny

ArtemLepilov
09-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Yes! As soon as I see that car and if it is fine, the project is - go! And during the break of october 13-october 21st I will be able to try and attempt this interesting project.

Speaking of the M42 - Anybody needs an M42? Good running condition, 155k miles.

-Artem