PDA

View Full Version : e34 or e31?

Incantation
09-22-2006, 04:57 PM
a while back i promised someone in my family i would give them my e34.. well that time has come and gone.. and i find myself unable to pass her on. while i would still have rights to buy it from that person should they want to get rid of it.. i can't do it. so i have thought instead to give the e31 to them instead.

these cars both have their advantages:
e31 - super coupe, major head turner (good for making impressions with my clients/prospects), it's got nice big balls

e34 - sedan ( i prefer sedans), lots of room in cabin, big trunk.. i can actually use it to haul stuff around if needed. i prefer the looks of it

cons:
e31 - ZERO utility for anything other than driving around. the trunk is small and filled with a speaker box leaving it almost useless. forget about putting stuff inthe back seats.. there's no room. bad if i want to go for any sort of road trips.. and forget entirely about taking it skiing. REALLY bad on gas

e34 - i don't know.. it's not fast but i have a bike so i don't really care about that. equally bad on gas given relative displacement (m30).

anyway.. i know this forum will most likely be biased to the e34 (as i am). however.. i am stuck between the two and if i find that most of you would take the e31 while in love with the e34 maybe that's what i should just do.

i really just can't decide.. :\

zman-95-540i
09-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I would keep the e31 but I would definitely have to have an alternate car for when I have to tow the kids around to games and stuff.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-22-2006, 05:11 PM
and give that one away and keep the e31 for fun, and the E34 for work.

Yiorgos
09-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Your con for the E34 is more of a technicality -- the fact that the engine is smaller, you'd already be saving on gas. Do you really need 5 litres of V8 when you're carting stuff around for work?

You sound like you love both cars, maybe the solution to your problem is in your wallet.

Either way, tough decision man, good luck with it.

angrypancake
09-22-2006, 05:37 PM
ask yourself: which would you miss more if it was crashed? that's the risk you take giving it to someone else.

Paul in NZ
09-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Give? GIVE??You cant give them the E31 surely.That must be a relatively rare car.Buy yourself another E34(say a 535 or 540 manual) and give em the 535ia

Nick.Hay
09-23-2006, 01:38 AM
BUy them a Toyota, and keep the Bimmers ;)

weiss_535is
09-23-2006, 01:41 AM
a while back i promised someone in my family i would give them my e34.. well that time has come and gone.. and i find myself unable to pass her on. while i would still have rights to buy it from that person should they want to get rid of it.. i can't do it. so i have thought instead to give the e31 to them instead.

these cars both have their advantages:
e31 - super coupe, major head turner (good for making impressions with my clients/prospects), it's got nice big balls

e34 - sedan ( i prefer sedans), lots of room in cabin, big trunk.. i can actually use it to haul stuff around if needed. i prefer the looks of it

cons:
e31 - ZERO utility for anything other than driving around. the trunk is small and filled with a speaker box leaving it almost useless. forget about putting stuff inthe back seats.. there's no room. bad if i want to go for any sort of road trips.. and forget entirely about taking it skiing. REALLY bad on gas

e34 - i don't know.. it's not fast but i have a bike so i don't really care about that. equally bad on gas given relative displacement (m30).

anyway.. i know this forum will most likely be biased to the e34 (as i am). however.. i am stuck between the two and if i find that most of you would take the e31 while in love with the e34 maybe that's what i should just do.

i really just can't decide.. :\

Bye Bye E34!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

genphreak
09-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Give? GIVE??You cant give them the E31 surely.That must be a relatively rare car.Buy yourself another E34(say a 535 or 540 manual) and give em the 535iaI abstained. I just don't get this 'dilemma'. There is no option here:

Look after them both in sickness and in health. Give the family away instead if you have to.

Donate them to a museum (not the family, the cars (it doesn't matter what you do with the family)) at some point- or when you die. The cars are already part of your legacy...

How can you give an e31 away??

The danger is always that the family member/s will wreck or not appreciate what you give them. Are you blinded by love for this family member? Perhaps you can avoid any future problems by helping them to buy their own e34 (they are dirt cheap), and teach them how to cherish and look after it as we all do in our madness...

Good luck with yours ;) Nick

rob101
09-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Your con for the E34 is more of a technicality -- the fact that the engine is smaller, you'd already be saving on gas. Do you really need 5 litres of V8 when you're carting stuff around for work?

You sound like you love both cars, maybe the solution to your problem is in your wallet.

Either way, tough decision man, good luck with it.
its a v12 big boy!

Yiorgos
09-23-2006, 03:14 AM
its a v12 big boy!

Oh right hehe sorry :)

AllGo'n'Show
09-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Either give them your E34 or buy one for them. That e31 is worth more then giving it away and you will have a much harder tiem replacing the e31.

Qube
09-23-2006, 01:51 PM
This is not a valid poll. Where is the Winfred option?

Michael999
09-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Dont you dare get rid of the E31, ive never even seen one on the road, let alone being driven by someone that should really be sitting a toyota corolla..

tim s
09-23-2006, 08:22 PM
tim s.

Atl530i
09-23-2006, 09:49 PM
ask yourself: which would you miss more if it was crashed? that's the risk you take giving it to someone else.

My thoughts exactly. I sold my Nissan to someone to find out it was wrecked a week later. Not a BMW, but damn.

Incantation
09-24-2006, 01:16 AM
some interesting responses.. i am actually quite surprised to see so much support for the e31. i know what you guys are saying.. it's more of an "elite" car.. but maybe because you haven't driven one you may not realize how amazing the e34 is to drive in comparison. the e31 is definitely more refined.. but the e34 handles so nicely.. and it's so nimble..

i think part of the problem is i have spent hours, days, etc (much like all of you) researching the e34.. planning mods.. implementing em.. and creating the car to suit my personal vision of e34 perfection. the e31 i bought the way it is, and short of putting in a stereo system, i've not done a single thing. so perhaps i am less sentimentally attached

anyway.. i appreciate the input. and pancake to answer your q i would miss the e34 more if it were wrecked. if i give the e34 i will at some point in the future drive it again so .. maybe that's the most sensible choice.