PDA

View Full Version : Ebay E34 525i: This will make you sick!

RiggsyB
09-22-2006, 12:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230030046419&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Only about 30 miles from me, shame i've not got the money... Though sent my best mate round to have a look at it on his way home from work (he works just round the corner from where it is), and he said it's immaculate... He's also in the market for a new car (just about to sell his current one) and fancies something a bit nicer... Silly fool thinks it looks boring though, and wants to buy some stupid crap like a Mondeo that'll lose loads of money quick!

Anyway, i've told him it'd be a good buy, and there's probably a few bucks to be made in it if he bought it and gave it a good polish, and advertised it right (ie. a BMW mag or forum, not ebay), as it's immaculate...

God, i want it! Someone buy my 95 520i touring off me!

632 Regal
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
only 2 days left

colo525i
09-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Looks nice, slightly OT, but has anyone in the US put on a tow bar? I could use one on my 525i.

RiggsyB
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah but he lives 30 miles away and is open to offers! I reckon £1300 and it'd be mine... If only i had £1300!

Trying to persuade my best mate he wants it ain't proving easy, but i will manage... Cos that way he can get it, spend 3 months with it, then sell it to me when i've sold my touring... hehe

zygoteer
09-22-2006, 01:04 PM
only 2 days left
... it will almost certainly get withdrawn before the time runs out, if the bid level is below the over-priced (for UK) 'buy-it-now' price.

RiggsyB
09-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah i know, which is why i reckon i could go and get it for about £250 less in cash... If only i had the cash!

Hell of a lot of car for the money, low milage 525i with a manual box, air con, it's an SE spec, i've got some nice wheels to go straight on it etc... And it's Oxford Green (the best colour!)

angrypancake
09-22-2006, 01:20 PM
but the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car!!! :p

RiggsyB
09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Not in this country mate... The steering wheel is on the Correct (or RIGHT as we say) side of the road ;)

bagpuss
09-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Just to put the other side of the equation, from a UK perspective - it's green (hardest colour in UK to sell), it looks like its got (flat-star) metric alloys - expensive on tyres (150 quid each), there's no leather and its a 525 with a tow-bar. So I doubt it'll make anywhere near 1500 quid on uk-ebay for these reasons, but not denying its a fair price if you want a lower-end E34 in good nick with a low mileage and you're happy with the relatively low P/W ratio of a 525. Personally I wouldn't go for less than a 530 on these heavy cars, just personal choice, much prefer the 540 as so much more power and not much in it economy wise. However, going from a 520 to a 525 would be certainly be quite a nice upgrade and the miles and condition certainly look right.

ThoreauHD
09-22-2006, 10:08 PM
The newer 525's seem to be popular where I am. The older ones, on this frame, I'm not sure. I was actually hesitant about getting my oxford green 530. Truth be told, I wish I had a 6000cc engine in this thing. But it don't fit. IT DON'T FIT!!! AAARGHH!! Ehh.. anyhow.

What were we talking about? Ah, a perfectly kept 525 with cloth seats in oxfrod green. It's a good car for a kid. But it ain't my bag baby. It does look nice on the outside. I just don't equate cloth and a 2.5Liter stick shift with luxury. And the steering wheel is all funny and on the wrong side. And he keeps saying quid. Sounds like a fish. Or a queer kid. I dunno. Nice car though, really.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/wth.jpg

Happy_Go_Lucky
09-23-2006, 03:34 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230030046419&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Only about 30 miles from me, shame i've not got the money... Though sent my best mate round to have a look at it on his way home from work (he works just round the corner from where it is), and he said it's immaculate... He's also in the market for a new car (just about to sell his current one) and fancies something a bit nicer... Silly fool thinks it looks boring though, and wants to buy some stupid crap like a Mondeo that'll lose loads of money quick!

Anyway, i've told him it'd be a good buy, and there's probably a few bucks to be made in it if he bought it and gave it a good polish, and advertised it right (ie. a BMW mag or forum, not ebay), as it's immaculate...

God, i want it! Someone buy my 95 520i touring off me!

Just a friendly :D reminder to all the NA folk out there ... this is an international forum with members from all over the globe chatting about GERMAN cars ... so stop already with the "Americanised" talk (yeah, AmericaniSed, not AmericaniZed). There are other places on planet earth other than the US of A. And some of us do drive with wheels on the RIGHT (not wrong) side of the car.;)

CarloE34
09-23-2006, 04:01 AM
Just a friendly :D reminder to all the NA folk out there ... this is an international forum with members from all over the globe chatting about GERMAN cars ... so stop already with the "Americanised" talk (yeah, AmericaniSed, not AmericaniZed). There are other places on planet earth other than the US of A. And some of us do drive with wheels on the RIGHT (not wrong) side of the car.;)

Amen:D

Allso,in germany they say that the best E34 to drive,other than an M5 and 540,is a 525 M50 non VANOS.
I know you guys in the states like the V8 outhere but its to big with so less power comparing to the 2.5 with 192bhp.Put a chip in it and you even have more power than the 3.0 and less weight;)
It is a nice clean car thought for not much money compare what i see on prices in the UK.

RiggsyB
09-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Exactly what Carlo says...

Here in the UK, petrol is so prhobitively expensive that you have to be earning a large salary not to worry about only getting 20mpg (either that or you just don't care!) in something like a 540i... And the 525i isn't actually slow in real terms... Yes it doesn't give you a kick in the ass a 540i will, but it's actually still a quick car... 8 seconds to 60, about 140mph... And it'll return near as dammit 30mpg on a cruise (i'm getting about 30mpg or so from my 520i on average, and i've been told there's nothing in it from the 520 to the 525 cos of a slightly taller final drive in the 525)... I was always confused too at why they did the 530i V8... Approx 200kg heavier than the 525i, and only another 26bhp, with much worse economy!

It may be a low spec cloth interiored "stick shift" to you US boys, and yes the metric alloys are a nightmare (though he's just put new tyres on them, and i have a set of 16" 5 spokes with tyres i would put on anyway, off a 540i i might add), but that's not the point... It's a damn sight nicer than most other things on the road here, and it's individual... You don't find too many E34 enthusiasts left over here, so a lot of them don't get looked after, but at least the used prices tend to reflect that (ie. VERY low... Much lower than a similar age E36 3 series will be) and you get a lot of motor for your money...

Oh, and i've seen some leather interiors go cheap recently in good nick! Nice leather, my 16" 5 spokes, it'd look just like a 540i (at least until i cold afford some nice 17" Rondell's).

And besides, you speak to anyone this side of the pond (ie. anywhere in europe), and they'll tell you an M50 engined E34 5 series is probably the most reliable car you could buy... They don't tend to go wrong, and the engines when looked after will do inter stellar milages! Whilst returning acceptable fuel economy...

RiggsyB
09-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Oh, and Green may be the hardest colour in the UK to sell, but Oxford Green is probably my personal favourite BMW colour!

bagpuss
09-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Hmmm, I live on your side of pond (UK) and I posted the 'other side to the equation' (above) from the uk and from a uk perspective, but I have to say that most of the Usa guys have got it right (apart from the steering wheel comments :-). Its green, its a 525, and its cloth.

As for economy, I think you might have been misled. I've just sold my 540i and its average gas mileage was 25 and it got 30 on a run, which was really my point. Why buy a low spec E34 when a high spec one is virtually no different in gas mileage. In 'cost/benefit' terms, there's virtually no cost assosciated with the huge benefits.

But each to their own, its not a car I would buy as the economy 'advantage' is virtually non-existent, so I only see negatives if I look at a cloth/green 525 vs a leather 530 or 540.

Plus, why oh why would anyone want to buy a cloth one, and then buy a leather interior. If you're starting from scratch (ie you dont already have a cloth interior to upgrade) then if you want leather, just buy one with leather. Whats the point in this extra 'heachache' and expense when the 'premium' on uk-ebay for ones with leather is far less than buying/retrofitting leather over cloth.

But you seem sold on it, so go for it. A car preference is a very personal thing and it seems you would be happy with it, which is the only thing that matters really.

Elekta
09-23-2006, 09:56 AM
the 95 525 with a chip will outrun the 530 in almost every aspect....I've witnessed thru my passenger 530 window.

If you really want the car that badly, go to the bank and borrow the money. If you have any credit at all, you should be able to borrow up to 5K US in about a hour for approval, $ in 2 days.

Better yet, find a low miles 95 525 touring and chip that. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

I am really suffering thru 525 envy right now, because of the S52 conversion capability. The 530 pig is worthless to me now (engine). It's either a wrecked 540iSport for a donor car or just buy a euro M5 for me. At that point, I might as well save for the 550xiT

RiggsyB
09-23-2006, 10:14 AM
I do hear what you're saying Bagpuss, but you're obviously looking for different things in a car to me... My Dad had a 95 540i Sport 6 speed manual from new... He used to get about 22mpg average, and about 24mpg best... And whilst that wasn't being mega light footed, he certainly wasn't driving harshly... And a lot of it was motorway cruising. The V8's, whilst economical compared to other manufacturer similar sized V8's, use too much fuel for me (considering i'm doing approx 400 to 500 miles a week right now). I loved his old car to pieces, but would have to gas convert one for sure...

The cloth interior doesn't bother me in the slightest really. Leather is nice, but i'm far more bothered about the overall condition of a car, and how many more trouble free miles it is going to get me whilst putting a smile on my face. Leather is nice, but it's about last on my priority list.

I will also refer back to my point on the M50 engines... Whilst I love the BMW V8s, the M50 is a much better long term prospect in terms of longevity and cost... I'm trying to run the car on a relative shoestring (i don't have a big budget, and can't afford huge fuel or parts bills).

I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow anyway probably... My hope is it doesn't fetch anything on ebay, and i can have a chat with the owner, and ask him if he'll wait for me to shift my 520i touring...

I also prefer the noise of the 6's too i reckon, as they're so individual. A 525i with a good quality stainless exhaust would be spot on i reckon... Though if i win the lottery tonight, there is possibly the best condition E34 M5 on ebay right now with only 90k on the clock and every conceivable extra!

bagpuss
09-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I understand mate, just different viewpoints.

I reckon you should offer him a grand - just use the points we've raised (re: green / cloth as bargaining chips and never ever look excited when you go to buy). The worst he can say is no, and chances are he'll offer a split and you'll get it for between 1100-1300. Let us know how the negotations go :)

Good Luck with it !

PS: Just noticed its had new tyres (£600 worth if they're metrics ! so no need to worry about tyres for a long time - the metrics actually perform very well IMO, they're just expensive). Point to watch on 525's, in my experience, is overheating/head-gasket so make sure temp guage sits half-way all the time, even hot weather and in traffic.

CarloE34
09-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah,Waterpump and front mounting are a weak point.
I have put a metall waterpump in it.The plastic ones are weak.

Further more,watch the brakes

Good luck

RiggsyB
09-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Cheers guys

Hopefully gonna go check it out tomorrow morning... And yes, there's plenty of tyre left, which is a bonus of sorts (though i'd prefer it to have near bald tyres, and REALLY have a bargaining tool as i have some 16" 5 spokes from a 540i with tyres ready and waiting). Still, new set of metrics gotta be worth something to someone on ebay perhaps?

And yeah, know about watching out for the head gasket/overheating problem... Same with the 520 though, which I knew when looking for my current car (in which the temp guage has never gone over half way, and it's got 120k miles on the clock now)...

Hmmmm... Can my mate get his hands on the money and help me out here is the question!

CarloE34
09-23-2006, 02:19 PM
If you want i can sent you an buyerguide from BmwCar.Then you know what to watch for.

RiggsyB
09-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah, if you would Carlo, that'd be awesome...

Can you email it to me (email should be in profile)

thanks

SC David
09-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I thought this would be an //M badged chrome wheelin pink cupholding crystal lighted disaster after reading the thread. Looks pretty nice. Only flaw I saw were the missing rubber thingies at the top of the front strut mounts.

CarloE34
09-23-2006, 03:21 PM
You have it late this night.However,when its 12 pm here it is 11 pm at youre place:D
I have to look for the mag but i will sent as many as i have so you can look before buying;)

Cheers mate

632 Regal
09-23-2006, 05:21 PM
the V8 540 gets better mileage than the V8 530 cars especially on the highway, if a choice the big one is better and wont have much of a problem against a 525. Im wondering if the 540 actually gets better highway mileage than the 525?

Hmmm, I live on your side of pond (UK) and I posted the 'other side to the equation' (above) from the uk and from a uk perspective, but I have to say that most of the Usa guys have got it right (apart from the steering wheel comments :-). Its green, its a 525, and its cloth.

As for economy, I think you might have been misled. I've just sold my 540i and its average gas mileage was 25 and it got 30 on a run, which was really my point. Why buy a low spec E34 when a high spec one is virtually no different in gas mileage. In 'cost/benefit' terms, there's virtually no cost assosciated with the huge benefits.

But each to their own, its not a car I would buy as the economy 'advantage' is virtually non-existent, so I only see negatives if I look at a cloth/green 525 vs a leather 530 or 540.

Plus, why oh why would anyone want to buy a cloth one, and then buy a leather interior. If you're starting from scratch (ie you dont already have a cloth interior to upgrade) then if you want leather, just buy one with leather. Whats the point in this extra 'heachache' and expense when the 'premium' on uk-ebay for ones with leather is far less than buying/retrofitting leather over cloth.

But you seem sold on it, so go for it. A car preference is a very personal thing and it seems you would be happy with it, which is the only thing that matters really.

bagpuss
09-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Possibly. Why not start a 'poll' of gas mileages, is that possible, to give a real world comparison ?

My 540 was 25 Average (approx 90% highway, 10% town) / 30 highway, but not had the 530 long enough but I really dont think its any better than the 540 was so you could well be right on the 540/530 gas comparison. Anyone got any long-term real-world figures for the 525 so we can prove or disprove the theory that there's no gas mileage advantage with a 525 over a 540 ?

zygoteer
09-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Possibly. Why not start a 'poll' of gas mileages, is that possible, to give a real world comparison ? ...

a bit tricky when you remember that the US gallon is short of the Imperial gallon, and some people use litres.

RiggsyB
09-24-2006, 10:05 AM
"Real World" driving i'm getting about 30mpg from my 520i... And BMW's quoted figures for the 525i were literally no different from the 520i.

As stated before, the manual 540i my dad had (comparing like for like, manual with manual), driving mainly motorway (as I am right now) he used to average between 22 and 24mpg. Which isn't bad for a 4 litre car with such performance, but still a fair way off the economy of the sixes...

bagpuss
09-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I think the 540 auto has better economy on the motorway than the manual five-speed, due to the higher gearing in top. Approx 2000 rpm at 80 mph. Thats if the 540 manual is the same gearing as my 530 manual. I was quite suprised driving it back as was expecting 2000 rpm at 80 mph (like the 540A) for some reason and it was nearer 3000. Perhaps this is why they brought out the 6-speed ?

RiggsyB
09-24-2006, 11:14 AM
My old chap's was the six speed... With approx 40mph per 1000 revs in top! The tallest geared car i've driven anyway, even more so than an E38 740i i drove... I remember a trip down through Germany when i was younger, we're on the autobahn, Dad with his foot to the floor... The car is showing over 150mph on the speedo, and the rev needle is only just past vertical!!!

ThoreauHD
09-24-2006, 12:18 PM
What a great thread. My cup runneth over.

And to let you folks know, the steering wheel thing always pisses off Europeans. Americans know this. That's why I, and probably the other fella, mentioned it. You are sensitive to the govenment owned BBC reported stereotypical American banter. But it's fun to watch. Kinda like saying, if only Neville Chamberlain was here- we wouldn't be fighting with these peaceful muslems. Sharia law now! You get the point.

Riggsy, I didn't understand your situation before. But now that I know, that car would be a great fit for you. Like I said before- it's for a kid(younger person). Perfect for high mileage commutes with a touch of style and .. hey now, I like the green. What's wrong with the green again? I have oxford green, and I thought it looked pretty good unless my eyes are dimming on me. Us old people's brains shutdown sometimes.

As far as the power differential or pickup between the chipped 525 and 530 V8, I'm not sure. My V8 is chipped, so who do you think what make the grade there? I plan on finding out. I'm going to do a little bmwcca racing in the coming months. I can't this month, but I think October would be a fine time to test. Keep in mind that I have a automatic transmission, because my engine is so small.

I am also testing gas mileage with the Denso Iridium spark plugs now, with all new filters/oil/gas/charcoal/etc and oil and yada yada. I have to say, that this car drives so smoothly.. soo so damn smoothly, I feel like I'm sitting in my chair at home. It's quiet and smooth and I don't seem to be using as much gas anymore. Everything old is now new(to the tune of another 3 Grand), and I wanted to get an accurate account of gas mileage on 93 octane US.

So far, I don't know if it's BS or not, but I drove 60 miles and used $5.50 in gas. Gas is about $2.90 here. This is anecdotal, but I filled up the tank before, drove 60 miles, and filled it up again with $5.50. I have to wait for the guages to average out over time and with start/stop driving and highway driving. Same gas used on the way back. It's not a miracle machine, I'm just trying to get a accurate reading when this car is in top form.

I think that my next car after this will probably be a 550 or a toyota prius. I'm not sure which. I'm in the middle now- comfort and smoothness with decent gas mileage. I'm not sure where I'll be going next. As far as the green car above Riggsy, I think it looks great for what you need. For me, hell no. You're crazy. I spent too many years in a college 4 cylinder clothed up crapbox to do that again. It's all a matter fo perspective and utility. Good luck with your negotiations.

And just to make sure we're all friends here, I'm going to post a pic of some of my favorite hybrid asian/white hotties. You may not care, but it's the thought or lack thereof that counts.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/kelly1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/maggie_q.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/kreuk1.jpg

bagpuss
09-24-2006, 12:46 PM
55 mins to go and still only £620 ! If I were you Mr Riggsyb and I wanted it, I'd make a bid of a grand now, so as to scupper the last second bidders and who knows, he might second chance it to you if it dont meet reserve (reserve could be a grand, who knows!) and you can presumably pay by paypal and pay back the credit card when the other one sells.

RiggsyB
09-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Didn't reach its reserve!

Also, i didn't get a chance to go and see it today, so i reckon i'll just give him a shout tomorrow and go look at the car in the evening...

As far as Credit cards go... Well... Dunno! Already not far off maxed out as it is! The joys of student debt... Reckon I could blag a grand from somewhere though, at least for a few weeks anyway...

Already got pics of it in my head now, lowered, 17" Rondells, AC Shcnitzer style oval tailpipe, window tints, clear indicators, smoked light clusters... Just smooth, nothing fancy, but a nice smart cruise car...

And yes, I am younger, but hey... In anyone's books in the UK a good nick 525i is a nice car!

bagpuss
09-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Bump !

What happened then, did ya get it ? How much ?