PDA

View Full Version : OOO! whats this bit do?

bigtallsam
09-22-2006, 06:36 AM
hi all

i'm a bit puzzled - neither my bentley manual or realoem.com has been able to help identify this part! i've no pic sorry

e34-525i-m50-uk

on the back of the oem air box just down behind the feed to the maf sensor theres a 'thingy' which at first i thought must be the intake temp sensor but it's not

it has two breather hoses attatched to it and the end of it is kind of like a fat brass pin - no electrical connection to it

anyway one of the hoses is in quite poor condition so i've changer it but i'd love to know what the hell this thing is????

anyone?

regards

sam

Bellicose Right Winger
09-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Sounds like the thermostat that allows coolant to warm the throttle body to prevent icing. Should only heat throttle body below 45F or so.

Paul Shovestul

hi all

i'm a bit puzzled - neither my bentley manual or realoem.com has been able to help identify this part! i've no pic sorry

e34-525i-m50-uk

on the back of the oem air box just down behind the feed to the maf sensor theres a 'thingy' which at first i thought must be the intake temp sensor but it's not

it has two breather hoses attatched to it and the end of it is kind of like a fat brass pin - no electrical connection to it

anyway one of the hoses is in quite poor condition so i've changer it but i'd love to know what the hell this thing is????

anyone?

regards

sam

bigtallsam
09-22-2006, 07:00 AM
thanks for the quick reply

the to pipes do seem to feed the throttle

so how come the other end mounts inside the back of the airbox i.e the bit with the brass pin thingy sticking out the end?

sorry for the curiosity/stupidity

s

bigtallsam
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
here's a pic from realoem showing the back of my air box

the arrow shows where this thing pokes through the bacl of mine but it doesnt exist according to them

??

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/btsam/6.png

regards

sam

winfred
09-22-2006, 08:02 AM
it's there so that you can bump it while doing something else and snap the end off pissing coolent all over the left side of the engine compartment, that's the only practical use i've found for it and it does it's job well

neil_004
09-22-2006, 08:42 AM
The brass pin mounts in the airbox so the thermostat can react to the intake air temp. The reason I think they put it on is so the throttle body dosent freeze (which could cause death and legal woes for BMW) when it is cold but when it is warm it dosent heat the TB so you get some more performance(cooler intake temp=more power).

bigtallsam
09-22-2006, 08:50 AM
lmao winfred!! :) :)

cheers for the info neil!

JD525IA
09-22-2006, 09:17 AM
it's there so that you can bump it while doing something else and snap the end off pissing coolent all over the left side of the engine compartment, that's the only practical use i've found for it and it does it's job well

Good thing it was only a $20 part, plus the coolant that I had lost.

Bellicose Right Winger
09-22-2006, 05:17 PM
It's in the Cooling System section.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD52&mospid=47375&btnr=11_1123&hg=11&fg=35

Paul Shovestul

here's a pic from realoem showing the back of my air box

the arrow shows where this thing pokes through the bacl of mine but it doesnt exist according to them

??

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/btsam/6.png

regards

sam

bigtallsam
09-23-2006, 08:48 AM
thats the beastie, cheers