PDA

View Full Version : TMS Chip

Jehu
09-22-2006, 06:19 AM
I was given the wrong fuel filter when i stopped in to Bavarian Auto last week so after heading by there in an hour i will swing down to Turner Motor Sport and I'm gonna see if they can make me a chip. They said they'd need a couple of hours i guess they don't have any for my model laying about. The only thing that could interfere is work.If i get it I'll rave about the performance increases later.While I'm here are there any tricks to swapping the fuel filters? I use two.Will they be plainly visible and come out just like any other fuel filter or are they secreted away somewhere i'd never see them..?Isn't it cool i have two such widely known and valuable resources within driving distance?

BillionPa
09-22-2006, 11:26 AM
they are under the right rear wheel well area

Jehu
09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks. They couldn't chip me because they found my ECM has "an extremely rare" code number or serial number or whatever its called and they don't have the software for it. They said I'd have to get it from BMW for them then they could make me a chip... anyone else ever find they had this situation?

ThoreauHD
09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
First I've heard of it. Conforti covers most of the E34's. The number on the ECU needs to match up with the programmed chip. But I guess you could risk it with another chip of the same ECU vintage/engine type.

Jehu
09-22-2006, 10:37 PM
I took it into their shop today. They showed me the unit with the new sticker taped over the original and said it was probably done during some recall work which i assume was when they replaced the nikasil block.If Turner didn't have the software from the number i would doubt anyone else would. The guy told me I'd need to get the update from BMW. I think he means they'd have to give me the software used to program the present chip which was done by BMW so that it could then be modified by the chip tuners."Risking it" is not something i would recommend doing or be inclined to do myself.

genphreak
09-23-2006, 01:28 AM
The chip is programmed by standard EPROM programmer device and software. I don't think I know what your/their reference means (ie 'update form BMW')- but from what you say it sounds like TMS feel that the programs they have done for the 540 Motronic chips might miss something that your ECU might need - or have altogether incorrect values in the program.

I suggest you try a chip from another 540i ECU and see how it goes- but carefully, jic the timing is not quite the same. Run good gas, listen for ping and go easy on the gas until you are more confident. You are very unlikey to damage the chip or the ECU- or the engine- unless the chip (and ECU) is physically different (in which case don't do it of course). Suggest you ask MarkD- for sure he'd know all about it...

I'd say the difference is probably a map adjustment that they did to suit the Alusil engine- no doubt it has different combustion dynamics (ie heat characteristics), so it is likely that this difference would affect emissions a little therefore requiring a replacement chip. BMW would do this as an ECU replacement rather than opening ECUs at the dealer and risking any broken /shocked ones.

Bare in mind, I am NOT saying the guys at TMS don't know better... this is just my 0.02/gut feel!

:) Nick

Jehu
09-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Thanks. I wasn't sure what they were actually saying beyond that they were unable to produce a chip for my ECU because from the number on the box they came up with no matching software to program a chip. The first thing i thought of was our cohort who works for BMW or a BMW dealership who can log in to the Main BMW computers . I thought i'd see if he couldtake the number off the ECU and see what he can find out about how i could get what Turner said they'd need to make a chip.

genphreak
09-23-2006, 01:48 AM
No worries. I reckon a chip from any late production 540i computer would work- euro or US. Look up the ECU that is used in one of those on the online ETK and try it... and/or just email MarkD, he'll tell you if I have any FI what I am on about.

MarkD
09-24-2006, 11:55 PM
I took it into their shop today. They showed me the unit with the new sticker taped over the original and said it was probably done during some recall work which i assume was when they replaced the nikasil block.If Turner didn't have the software from the number i would doubt anyone else would. The guy told me I'd need to get the update from BMW. I think he means they'd have to give me the software used to program the present chip which was done by BMW so that it could then be modified by the chip tuners."Risking it" is not something i would recommend doing or be inclined to do myself.

If you have a way to read your current chip and email a file to me, I can make you a performance version within 10 days.

MarkD

632 Regal
09-25-2006, 09:16 AM
BMW installed a different chip in an initial effort to help the failure of the Nikasil blocks. The only difference from stock is the ignition timing and an acceptance for a hotter running engine. Marks standard 540 stick chips should be plug n play along with other chip manufacturers, they just dont know why there is a different number on the box. Let me guess its a red sticker that says reprogramed by BMW with a wierd number right?

Jehu
09-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Well the sticker was white but it was covering another white sticker.I'm going to have to learn alot more about what goes into making a chip before i take the word of relative strangers that all i need is this or that,no offense.

632 Regal
09-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Enjoy...
Well the sticker was white but it was covering another white sticker.I'm going to have to learn alot more about what goes into making a chip before i take the word of relative strangers that all i need is this or that,no offense.

Evan
09-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Good Luck!

Jehu
09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Whatever.