PDA

View Full Version : Battery Killer Found !!!

Happy_Go_Lucky
09-22-2006, 05:11 AM
but now I need to know why :D I've had an ongoing problem of the battery dying. Sometimes overnight, sometimes within 3 days of non-use. When I bought the car, the radio had been ripped out by thieves, and I bought a good Bekker that had been tossed from a Merc, and had this fiited by a so-called professional audio shop. Diagnostics found that the car would pull upwards of 380mAmps in sleep mode. I aventually traced it to fuse F41 under the rear seat, which lowered the draw to less than 50mAmps when pulled. This fuse is labelled "Super Audio System" and no doubt feeds the amplifier in the trunk. Now I have no radio :( Thoughts on this, anybody. Possibly the Bekker is incompatible, or the shop did a duff job, or the amplifier has gone south. Bright side, at least now I can sleep knowing the car will start in the morning ;)

pingu
09-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Some amplifiers have a "remote" input which allows the dashboard unit to remotely turn the amplifier on or put the amplifier in low power (standby) mode. Seems to me you can either see if you can use a remote signal, or alternatively rewire the amplifier power lead so that it only gets +12 when the ignition switch is set to "on" or "accessory".

Alexlind123
09-22-2006, 08:47 AM
You could just wire a separate switch for the amp.

Flamin'Cow
09-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Sound to me like the 'professional' Audio shop has botched-up.

I used to work in a PROFESSIONAL AUDIO SHOP and you wouldn't believe some of the bodge-jobs people (and other employees) did....

Anyhoo - Most head-units have 2 power wires. One is a constant live (to supply memory functions and the clock) the second wire only becomes live when the ignition is turned on. It MIGHT be that they have chopped and spliced the two, meaning that the head-unit is powered up ALL THE TIME. Quick test - take the key out of the ignition and press the 'ON' button on the head-unit.....if it turns on - that could be your problem.

IF NOT

Then its likely that they have bodged-up somewhere. They might have crossed the remote with a constant 12V source, meaning your amp is on all the time. - Check the voltage on your amp's remote with a multimeter - if you are getting a reading with the ignition off - there is your problem.

IF NOT

Then its likely they have buggered up the wiring. Head-units are held in place by something called a 'cage'. If any +pos wires touch this cage, this will cause a short and a constant drain on your battery. Take out the head-unit and make sure that no wires are scrunched-up behind the console. Also ensure that there are no exposed bits of wire - if there are cover them with 'insultion' tape cos guess what - THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM!

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

FLAMINCOW

Alexlind123
09-22-2006, 09:14 AM
I hate "shops", its too hard to find one that actually cares about their work.

Flamin'Cow
09-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Aint that the truth - I do 'Free' installs for all my mates now, well 'free' but they can buy me a pack of Lucky-strike and give me beer whilst I work....

632 Regal
09-22-2006, 09:43 AM
LSMFT
Aint that the truth - I do 'Free' installs for all my mates now, well 'free' but they can buy me a pack of Lucky-strike and give me beer whilst I work....

Flamin'Cow
09-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Err, you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge with respect to Internet slang, but what does 'LSMFT' mean?

Bill R.
09-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Err, you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge with respect to Internet slang, but what does 'LSMFT' mean?

Flamin'Cow
09-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Ahhh, thankyou - and yes - it is a damn fine smoke....

632 Regal
09-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Loose straps mean floppy ****

Flamin'Cow
09-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Lovely **** Man - ****in' Trick!

Happy_Go_Lucky
09-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Lovely **** Man - ****in' Trick!

I'm a Camel Man myself *cof*

KenB
09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Ack hack...Let's Screw My Finger's Tired

632 Regal
09-25-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm a Camel Man myself *cof*
me too...
http://www.bigleaguefacials.ws/i-spy-camel-toe/index.files/pic001.jpg

Atl530i
09-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Ack hack...Let's Screw My Finger's Tired

Thats too funny, lol.

HDhandyman
09-25-2006, 10:06 PM
that's funny, anytime Bill fills in the answer for a non car question it's like opening the flood gate of approval for the lude and crude. Cracks me up how quickly a thread can come undone.....LMFAO!--you guys are great.