PDA

View Full Version : Touring or 740iL

Kobe Diesel
09-21-2006, 01:02 PM
The time is approaching for my wife and I where a house and kids are going to be part of our lives. Living in NYC, my wife has no need for a car but will need one for where we are planning to move. And, unfortunately she cannot drive manual transm. and refuses to learn. So one of my cars has to go, is it the 525 or A4 - I'd rather let the latter go instead. I asked her what she has in mind, "anything is fine - just automatic". So Im thinking of E38 740iL or an E39 Touring - I dig both of them, simply put I want something I can enjoy too.

Rarely do I see any touring versions, and if any, they have the smaller engines. With the added wagon weight, are the 2.5 or 2.8L motors capable of pulling? Or does the trunk volume and rear seat space of the 740iL compete with that of the touring? Are they any forum members who are in my situation and can shed some light or advice as to which vehicle is better equipped? Pros/cons, versus, etc.

The important question I have is how reliable are the auto transmissions available on these cars?

TIA

Kobe Diesel
09-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Now that I think about it - trade ins. Never done it before, dont know anything about it other than that I hear of people trading in older for newer.
Just wondering if the Audi could be used to trade in for a BMW.

DABIMR
09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Not sure if you wanted an E34 or E39 but the E39 540iT only came in auto in the U.S. It'll have the torque, power and looks damn good!!

As far as trades don't see why you couldn't trade your Audi for a newer or older BMW? Of course, you'll get more for your vehicle privately than any dealership would give you. But, if you're pressed to get a vehicle right away, that might be your option for now.

Here's a cool one just for reference.. And it's a Sport too, with the M bumpers, shadowline, etc.., very nice.. Of course, I don't know your price range but, you get the idea.. :) http://www.internetautoguide.com/usedcars/14-int/2003/bmw/5-series/california/newport-beach/7677/70/index.html

Jay 535i
09-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Yes, a BMW dealership will take anything as a trade-in if they think they can sell it. An A4 fits the bill.

I'd go for the E38 myself. Sooo cool. I'd go for the short-wheelbase sport version, though, with M parallels. Yum.

http://www.bmwnation.com/images/gallery/7/e38/e38_750il_04_s.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-21-2006, 02:41 PM
but I am bias, since I have one and love it.

M50tu has good power (better than an M20) and it handles like anyother e34.

The fold down seats allow for oversize objects and the roof rack comes in handy for lumber and stuff.

It's got a crazy dual sunroof so the kids in back can catch a tan on the way to school too.

angrypancake
09-21-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm with Bob. Forget the e39 touring, get the e34 touring.

Mr Project
09-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, I'm obviously biased, but I love the Touring and it really comes down to what kind of cargo you expect to haul.

The LWB 7-series will have more rear leg room, but that's it. The Touring could haul large bulky items with ease...the 7 series has a long, but shallow trunk that won't handle big square items like a 32" TV box, or really long stuff like a 6" ladder, or a fully assembled rotary engine, or a 10-drawer Craftsman toolbox, or you know, other random stuff. :)

IMO the Touring, be it E34 or E39 is much more practical as a daily driver/family hauler than a 7, especially a SWB 7 that won't have much more rear leg room.

As to power, I can't say...I wanted a Touring with Torque, so I built my own.

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/7649/img2686mediumdr5.jpg

brosher
09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
I vote touring as well. I don't even have kids and I want one. Having a house alone is excuse for buying a wagon and a pickup. Kids just add to the needs and you'll be moving onto a van. :p

Ross
09-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I've owned numerous 7s ( E32s) and now an E34 touring. The trunk of a seven will hold as much as a touring, at least in the generations I refer to.
It is very nice though to access whatever you are carrying without getting out of the car. And folding the seats gives a bit more than the 7 trunk can hold.
The 7 is a more luxurious car, the V12 is really something special.
A 540 touring would trump the 7 in my eyes because of the power that is lacking in the 5er I own.
A good friend has a '99 528 and it's a bigger pig than mine w/o the added weight of a touring.
The 3 wagon is a joke, I can cary more in my arms.

Kobe Diesel
09-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Thank you all for your input. Have been searching, and the tourings command a little more $$ than an E38. The 540iT would be choice. The touring seems much more practical esp. with having to do home improvement work, dogs, etc. Well it's up to my wife (and hopefully she will be happy with the choices) and it would be best for her to test drive it, it wouldnt be right to drive a car you cant handle or dont like.

No vans :D

Thayne
09-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Yes, a BMW dealership will take anything as a trade-in if they think they can sell it. An A4 fits the bill.

I'd go for the E38 myself. Sooo cool. I'd go for the short-wheelbase sport version, though, with M parallels. Yum.

Agreed!

Zeuk in Oz
09-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Go the E39.

Much nicer handling car than the E 38, IMHO.

Paul in NZ
09-22-2006, 12:52 AM
i would go witha 39 or 34 touring

Kobe Diesel
09-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Wife pointed out the Honda Element today...not good :(

Kobe Diesel
09-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Touring it is. Now I need to put the list together and search for the right one.
When the time comes, Ill replace my 525 with a 740iL.

brosher
09-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Wife pointed out the Honda Element today...not good :(

But they are so cute and practical!

Ross
09-22-2006, 08:38 AM
We also have dogs, the screen partition that lifts out of the seat backs can keep them in back while driving.

angrypancake
09-22-2006, 08:46 AM
the old man got this today when he dropped his car off at the dealer. interesting car, handling is pretty tight, and it has some get up and go to it. 530xi.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6274/rental001cg0.jpg

Flamin'Cow
09-22-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't know whether they have them in the US, but one of my French Friends has a 5-series estate (E34-tourer) with a 2.5 litre engine (petrol) Its Automatic, LHD and the best bit..........

ITS FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!!

Yes 4X4, havn't driven it myself, but must be 'wicked & bad' when the weather gets a little scary.

Kobe Diesel
09-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately, BMW is selling all-wheel-drive 5er's now in US rather than doing so the last 15 years. I can testify to the practicality of AWD in the NE winter and having the Audi is best for that. The E60 5er (not my favorite at all) looks better as a touring than it does as a sedan - the lines just flow better that way.

At the moment, debating over the engine option, 4.4L or 2.8L. I test drove a 540i/6 earlier this year, although awesome, it was heavy and the steering not as responsive. Big engine for straightaway driving but Im also thinking of the "touring" aspect of driving - hills, banks, curves, turns, and any combination of those together, where the I-6 would be better off for that style of driving.

Of course, still looking for the one.......

Flamin'Cow
09-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Ah well - guess your just gonna have to go for the 740...

yeah yeah - I know the 'tourer' has a larger trunk capacity for buying all thatt crap you'll be able to afford now your kids have gone, but hey, the & series has a big enough trunk for 2 people (hell 2 people will probably FIT IN THE TRUNK!)

ask your missus - I'm sure she'll appreciate the leather, air-con and smooth ride of a 7.

attack eagle
09-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Unfortunately, BMW is selling all-wheel-drive 5er's now in US rather than doing so the last 15 years. I can testify to the practicality of AWD in the NE winter and having the Audi is best for that. The E60 5er (not my favorite at all) looks better as a touring than it does as a sedan - the lines just flow better that way.

At the moment, debating over the engine option, 4.4L or 2.8L. I test drove a 540i/6 earlier this year, although awesome, it was heavy and the steering not as responsive. Big engine for straightaway driving but Im also thinking of the "touring" aspect of driving - hills, banks, curves, turns, and any combination of those together, where the I-6 would be better off for that style of driving.

Of course, still looking for the one.......
Curves? Wow, what a difference from the arid southwest where driving out of town means putting the car on Cruise at 85-90 for hours on end.

Elekta
09-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Touring...

95 e34 or the 03 540 e39...that is a sweet ride.

choose seat color the same as your dog's hair...little trick we dog owner use.

Tho mine rides up front

tdgard
09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm going through the same dilemma & think I will go with the 7--although a friend is selling an 01' 525it & it is distracting me.

I personally like the idea of a trunk. Being lazy in nature and having been broken into too many times, I just know it would be a matter of time before thousands of dollars in tools and meters would end up in a pawn shop if I left them in the touring.

Thought about the extra versatility of the touring & decided that I would rather buy a $1000 beater truck than beat up a very nice interior.

Kobe Diesel
09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Have seen some E34 Ts that look fantastic. Although we have decided on a touring, the next dilemna is E34 or E39. The advantage to E34 is that Ive become very familiar with the car over the past year, the parts are more affordable compared to E39 which I dont have a clue about. The advantage with the E39 is age and you can find them with low miles.

Hal
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
We currently have his and hers Tourings, E34 and E39. I also owned a 1990 535ia sedan.

At this point it is clearly easier to find E39 Tourings in good condition and much lower mileage, but at significantly higher prices than the E34. For my cars, I figure that my 94 530iT at 158,000 mi might have a retail value of perhaps only US$6k and the 99 528iT at 92,000 mi might be more like US$14k. For one inclined to do the work on the E34 themselves, this is a large price difference.

I find the overall utility of the wagons to be much superior for my use than a sedan. I do not like have separate vehicles for various purposes, and the carrying capavity of the wagons is adequate for 99% of what I need to do. Perhaps once every 3 years I rent a pickup for ~$40 for a day for some purpose, but I have no need to own one.

The wagon has somewhat higher road noise coupled up throught the rear of the vehicle to the passengers compared to the sedan. The wagon is a bit heavier, but not much. I don't see much difference in handling, but I would suppose that the polar moment if inertia of the wagon is higher than the same model sedan. I do not lose sleep over this. I find the 528iT to be adequately powered for my needs, which may be more modest than for some on this board.

Hal

1994 530iT 158,000 mi Nikasil powered
1999 528iT 92,000 mi without the Nikasil advantage

TheMissile
09-27-2006, 02:13 PM
is exactly why I love my touring. Apart from the sleek looks, the great power delivery, the leather, the steering, the 'snick' of the gear changes, the permanent 4x4, the load space, the removable subwoofer........I digress.

Anyone with kids, a home improvement plan and any kind of sport or hobby that involves "equipment" needs a touring. The space. The space...did I mention the space. Also, did I mention the separated glass / tailgate thing. It IS awesome and is one reason I dont look at other station wagons. Sooooo practical. As far as I know its the only car that is not a truck/SUV that actually works in that way. Correct me please.

I have a volvo v70 too and I hate the way I have to open the whole tailgate to get at the stuff inside, not to mention leaving on big trips....packing is a hoot....cram as much stuff in the back, hold it in with a stick, then try and close the tailgate without the stuff falling out. It could be sport if it wasnt so annoying ! Not to mention (again??) that the build quality on the v70 is sh&t. I'll repeat..the build quality on the v70 is sh&t. Flame off. Sorry...

thatracer
09-27-2006, 03:06 PM
What year and model is that 7? Its NICE