PDA

View Full Version : I think I've cracked it!

nmwaldron
09-21-2006, 10:00 AM
The problem, that is....not the engine.

After reseating the valve cover gasket for the 3rd time, and making sure all the bolts were major tight..I dont have a torque wrench..I drove the car for around 5 miles today and she sounded much better. When I got home, no smoking from the engine or anything! There is still a small drip coming from the rear of the oil pan, where the connecting bar for the tie rod ends is..but I think this is being caused by the oil pan gasket. Now I'm off to the stealership to buy 2 nylon sliders to fix my electric window...only $6 each (sonsofbi&$hes)

Nate

632 Regal
09-21-2006, 10:10 AM
them plastic sliders were 83 cents each at the dealer last year...talk about markup!

Evan
09-21-2006, 10:15 AM
buy a torque wrench... overtightening is going to get you into even more trouble

zman-95-540i
09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Agreed. Spend the money and get a torque wrench. You can get a decent craftsman for about $75.

Dave M
09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
no smoking from the engine or anything!
Nate

I love the anything part. Its as though every time you drive the car, something sets ablaze ;)

Congrats, but heed the advice an buy a torque wrench. The head cover bolts are to be tightened to only 10NM, and, as they're seated in an aluminum, you don't want to strip the head (ask me how I know).

Now read up and replace your oil pan gasket with a nice new metal/rubber one.

Dave M

Evan
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
get a piece of crap that lasts six months for $20.. it will pay for itself

those head cover bolts you tightened the crap out of screw onto a stud that doesn't need much torque to break.. im surprised you havent broken one (I have)

brosher
09-21-2006, 11:12 AM
buy a torque wrench... overtightening is going to get you into even more trouble

These guys beat me too it. They make tourqe values for a reason. Get one that does in-lbs and one that does ft-lbs. I too thought I could get away with guesstimating tq values one time :( , I now have a complete set of tq wrenches.

nmwaldron
09-21-2006, 09:58 PM
them plastic sliders were 83 cents each at the dealer last year...talk about markup!

well, i guess the guy on the phone quoted me wrong as they were only $3.50 a piece. But still...come on...
I'm gonna pick up a torque wrench asap....unfortunately though, I'm gonna have to sell...too much on the old credit cards due to repairs (3k+ spent on this so far) I plan to replace the oil pan gasket first though and probably the o2 sensor, I want this thing to run great before I sell. Although, it looks like I'm gonna have to sell my XB360 to finance it....waaaaah!

Nate