PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Falken or Federal tires?

Felixdacat
09-20-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking about getting some tires, and haven't decided. I have pirreli pzero nero 235/40/18's, and they seem to wear out pretty quick, and they pull the car when in a rutt. Soft sidewalls. any good sugestions? Price to spend $500 US. I have friends that use Falken, and Federal tires, and have pretty good results. None on BMW's though.

Spasso
09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
I have run Falken (326) on a number of my cars and found they wear a long time but that is because the rubber compound is hard, hence less grip. I find that they are noisy too. I have some on my Acura and they sound like truck tires, "thrumming" sound.

What are you looking for in a tire?. Grip or long life? You will sacrifice one for the other. Check the treadwear ratings.

I run Yokohama AVS ES100's on my Italian car and love them, quiet and grippy, treadwear rating of 280. The fronts for 92.00 each and the rears for 120.00 each. They won't last more than 25k at the most.

I have Proxes +4 on my 530i. I think the treadwear is 320. About right for a heavier car like this. They are a little noisy too but tolerable. All for 100 or less. They seem to grip okay but I don't feel like I can push them like the Yokohamas.

NovceGuru
09-20-2006, 10:20 PM
My car came with federals...seemed like a good tire, they didn't last long though since I need an alignment :(

NovceGuru

632 Regal
09-20-2006, 10:20 PM
all in all I have to drive a lot, the Falkens 512s have served me well. They tend to be a bit noisey on concrete but not repulsive, they are round and grip great till half worn and hydroplane. I will replace them with new ones without research, good round tires are welcome after 3 sets of out of round POS tires you get at discount tire. where else can you get 4 great long lasting treads for under $300 buks?

KenB
09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I've had good results with Bridgestone Protenzas. I used Michelins for years and found half of them defective, IMHO they are overpriced and over rated.

#1 criteria for tire selection: they be round

632 Regal
09-20-2006, 10:35 PM
damn right, but without mounting them on a rim it's hard. so what do you do besides the guess and mount scenereo?

I've had good results with Bridgestone Protenzas. I used Michelins for years and found half of them defective, IMHO they are overpriced and over rated.

#1 criteria for tire selection: they be round

KenB
09-20-2006, 10:39 PM
You're right, I was just being a smart ass.

There is no way to tell by looking at them. Gotta mount 'em to see how they ride...goes for horses and heifers too.

AllGo'n'Show
09-20-2006, 11:42 PM
I have run Falken (326) on a number of my cars and found they wear a long time but that is because the rubber compound is hard, hence less grip. I find that they are noisy too. I have some on my Acura and they sound like truck tires, "thrumming" sound.

What are you looking for in a tire?. Grip or long life? You will sacrifice one for the other. Check the treadwear ratings.

I run Yokohama AVS ES100's on my Italian car and love them, quiet and grippy, treadwear rating of 280. The fronts for 92.00 each and the rears for 120.00 each. They won't last more than 25k at the most.

I have Proxes +4 on my 530i. I think the treadwear is 320. About right for a heavier car like this. They are a little noisy too but tolerable. All for 100 or less. They seem to grip okay but I don't feel like I can push them like the Yokohamas.

What italian car is that?

I was doign Warehouse work today getting ready for the winter tire rush and noticed some ES100's in my staggard fitment and started drooling.

I got Falkein 512's on the 7 right now, good for normal driving but aggresive you'd be better off trying the Falkein 451 or 452's

Spasso
09-20-2006, 11:58 PM
What italian car is that?

Ferrari 308 GTS

It will be going up for sale soon so I can move into somehthing a little bigger.

AllGo'n'Show
09-21-2006, 12:17 AM
You drive it hard with the ES100's on or just like you had your kid int he back?

Felixdacat
09-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys,
I think I'll try the Falkens this time. My driving habbits change day to day. Aggressive one and slow and low the other.

Mr Project
09-21-2006, 10:42 PM
I ran the Falken ZX512 on my Volvo 740. Quiet, good in the snow, great in the rain, and quite tolerable in the dry. Even driving that crapbucket pretty hard, they held up nicely, though the sidewalls were quite soft. (195/60/15)

Spasso
09-21-2006, 10:50 PM
You drive it hard with the ES100's on or just like you had your kid int he back?

I throw it through the corners. No place in back for kids.
They do well in the rain too.

Mendozart
09-22-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm on my 2nd set of ziex 512's. You can't go wrong for the price.

Anton CH.
09-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I am running Falkens 452s, my friend on his e34 runs the 512s.
The 512s are an all season tire, I wouldn't recomend for aggresive driving as they simply don't grip that well and have a fairly soft sidewall.

The 452s has a much stiffer sidewall although not as stiff as the 615s. Last time I ran them at 36 PSI cold all around with no sidewall rollover. Next time I will actually remove a few PSI all around as I wasn't getting enough flex. The compound is pretty soft, I took quiete a bit of it off at AutoX. My only complaint is that the grip is very sensetive to temperature. It's a great tire for everyday use but not so great for track.