PDA

View Full Version : Which Fr. Struts for my 704 M SPORT SUSPENSION

Jehu
09-20-2006, 07:35 PM
I have been noticing a slight floating sensation from the front end when i get up around 100 MPH lately. I thought it might just be the strong winds combined with a heavy,full gas tank but today i called my Indy and he said front shocks. he will install parts i buy so I'll be shopping on line and want to hear suggestions. I like the ride and as far as i know these are the original shocks so what are my options. I am afraid of having too hard of a ride if that's even possible, i actually think its pretty stiff no, certainly very responsive. I feel every little ripple in the pavement which i good , tactile etc. Who has a 540 and has done front struts? What did you get and how do you describe the ride. Maybe too much is made of differences in "feel",no?

Evan
09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I'll let you know this weekend about how my KYB/H&R setup rides.

Make sure you buy upper and lower spring pads, protective covers, bump stops, threaded strut collar nuts, and strut mounts in addition to the actual struts.

Do you want to lower your car? I'm VERY happy with my car's lowered look.

Jehu
09-20-2006, 08:17 PM
I think my car is as lowered as i want it.It came that way with the option i noted in the subject line.The M Sport package is lowered.I have been shopping and still not clear waht i need to get to replace these as soem places specifically state NOT FOR SPORT SUSPENSION>> Can i say just measure the dust cap and nut and order bilsien Sport shocks and the other parts you mention and end up with the same ride i have now without the front end float?

Evan
09-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I can't give you a definitive answer as to what will fit and how it will ride. Call Bilstein and check with BMA.

632 Regal
09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
F_ck Bilsteins, I had a few of them things, replacing them every other month is a PITA plus they drive like boards are in there and not strut inserts.

Currently running boge/sachs Super Touring inserts, absolutly great choice. Smoothed the road out and it bottoms much less than with the Bilsteins (frankensteins)

I can't give you a definitive answer as to what will fit and how it will ride. Call Bilstein and check with BMA.

fkong777
09-21-2006, 03:25 AM
if you have a m-sport you will be changing out EDCIII struts.. Which is about $800 a piece.

You probably have the Sport suspension that is equipped with the 6-spd. in which cases is a slightly lower and stiffer spring than normal 540's

Get Koni.. or for more stock like ride fresh boge , KYB or bilstein TC..

Bilstein sport or HD is harsh..

genphreak
09-21-2006, 08:21 AM
With M-Technik springs like those, you have to avoid stock bump stops and shocks. (ie the NOT for M-sport warnings).

That leaves you with Sashs Turbo struts (the red ones only)- hard to find for 540 I believe, but BMA sell them with matched springs at a VERY reasonable price....

Or you can go Koni (well worth the cost)

Or Bilstein (not quite so good as Jeff says)

Most people here would reccommend the Koni with your springs. The bumpstops from your old will probably be ok, but may not last much longer- when they go they go fast. New bumpstops from the dealer are the go for you- be sure to get the exact ones for your VIN code as it is M-Technik.

Jehu
09-21-2006, 08:43 AM
With M-Technik springs like those, you have to avoid stock bump stops and shocks. (ie the NOT for M-sport warnings).

That leaves you with Sashs Turbo struts (the red ones only)- hard to find for 540 I believe, but BMA sell them with matched springs at a VERY reasonable price....

Or you can go Koni (well worth the cost)

Or Bilstein (not quite so good as Jeff says)

Most people here would reccommend the Koni with your springs. The bumpstops from your old will probably be ok, but may not last much longer- when they go they go fast. New bumpstops from the dealer are the go for you- be sure to get the exact ones for your VIN code as it is M-Technik.

That's a reply! Thanks. I think i like the sound of Koni , I have no desire to spare expense.Does this floating nose problem sound like its the shocks to everyone too?

632 Regal
09-21-2006, 09:55 AM
front shouldnt float, not much else it could be.

That's a reply! Thanks. I think i like the sound of Koni , I have no desire to spare expense.Does this floating nose problem sound like its the shocks to everyone too?

Evan
09-21-2006, 10:10 AM
have you called the manufacturers... if you don't do your due diligence and end up with problems it will be because of your own irresponsibility

Jehu
09-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Called BMW? You mean bring it by a dealer? the guy who told me it was shocks is a BMW only tech, been doing it for about 20 years, races too.I assume he's right but from what i know of the Dealership techs they have no monopoly on knowledge especially when it concerns a model that's been around this long.Another Indy shop suggested it could be a number of things and will look at it in a week or so when they finish moving in to their new shop.Am i risking furthru damage to other systems if driving it wtih weak struts?